Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...

That map of the vast parking spaces in DT only made me foam at the mouth fantasizing about the potential development for that area. I am going to be optimistic and say by 2020, we will have a markedly urban and residential friendly DT. By 2030, we will all laugh that it took so long for Houston to get on board with close proximity urbanity, and the 20 somethings will be scrambling to live DT.

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Merwin, who just joined Thompson & Knight as a partner, predicts Houston will start to look more like NYC—he's got lots of high-rise condos in his pipeline, and he's seeing proposals for vertical mixed-use with residential over hotel over retail. (He thinks those'll pop up in the Galleria and Downtown soon.)

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/2221-no-reason-to-stop-building/

• Like 2

I was thinking about Loop 610 and how big it was compared to Manhattan.

Manhattan is 33 square miles.

Inside the Loop is 96 square miles.

About 450,000 people live inside the loop.

About 1,624,000 people live in Manhattan.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Demographics/Loop610Website/population.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan

I guess you can kind of visualize Manhattan taking up the middle 1/3 of the loop, just lined with skyscrapers if you can extrapolate that to what Houston might become in many many decades that is kind of a way to think about the sizes.

Another interesting comparison I've been thinking about recently:

Paris' 20 arrondissements cover 41 square miles.

As you said, Loop 610 encircles an area of 96 square miles.

2,234,105 people live in the 20 arrondissements.

450,000 people live inside the loop.

Inner-city Paris doesn't even have a significant number of skyscrapers – those are located in La Defense, outside the arrondissements. A vast majority of central Paris is densely packed 4-6 story apartment buildings with ground level retail. That's why I don't think Houston necessarily needs more high-rise residential – mid rise developments, even at only 4 or 5 stories, will make a huge difference.

• Like 3

^Nice find...

So in a nutshell:

CBRE thinks another spec office tower will happen, but would personally hate to be the lender.

They also see historical rental rates for office space in DT.  And, more importantly there is little upside to having a "new" or "planned" tower, since much of the existing square footage is charging at or near the same price.

They think the Super Bowl bid = confidence in DT

Also, that more residential oriented retail will happen to support the growth in that sector of DT.

Edited by arche_757

I don't see the connection between having a super bowl and developer confidence in new office construction. Can someone explain that one to me?

Also, he's sure another DT building will break ground, but where does he leave off from the one that he has confidence in? 609? HC6?

He said something like - Getting the superbowl allowed developers to have more confidence in DT.  I'm guessing he was talking about hospitality?  Not sure.

Lack of confidence is in any new spec office building DT.  That doesn't meant 6 Houston Center or 609 Main, it means International Tower or 5 Allen Center.  At least that's my take on it.

These were tweets.

He said something like - Getting the superbowl allowed developers to have more confidence in DT.  I'm guessing he was talking about hospitality?  Not sure.

Ah, you're probably right. The tweet is among other residential/hospitality comments/tweets.

But I still fail to see how a weeks worth of full occupancy and exposure justifies building a multi million dollar tower.

Edited by lockmat

You've got me.  Perhaps its gamesmanship of sorts?  What does CBRE have in Downtown?  Perhaps they're trying to instill some fear among their "lesser" peers who may heed their advice (from afar - if you will), and chase away someone who might add 900k sq ft to the market that would further drive rental rates down, thereby lowering profit for any and all in the market.

• Like 1

True. The GRB CC has wanted more hotels downtown though, the Super Bowl just happens to be a great reason to move forward with them. The additional hotels will supposably make for more/larger conventions so they can support more people. I'm not sure about the JW though, or the Hilton Garden Inn, since those aren't near the CC or anything. I guess those just feel downtown has been under served or got a great location (JW.. Right at the crossroads of 2 light rail lines in the middle of downtown).

Ah, you're probably right. The tweet is among other residential/hospitality comments/tweets.

But I still fail to see how a weeks worth of full occupancy and exposure justifies building a multi million dollar tower.

Perhaps the expectation is that the entire country, and the world for that matter, will see Houston in a new light with all the projects taking place, including the improvements to the GRB Convention Center, Avenida de las Americas, and all the shiny new buildings. These buildings will include approximately 2400 additional hotel rooms, most likely 5000 plus new residential units and the population to fill them by the date of the Superbowl, plus additional retail/restaurants. These improvements can and most likely will entice more convention planners to consider Houston as their convention city. So the hotels will fill up for the Superbowl, which will then highlight Houston and, in a symbiotic manner, keep the rooms full thereafter.  At least that's my opinion as to where the confidence may be coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

This was also in AmREIT's 2Q Press Release, but does not say if it's for Houston.

AmREIT Monthly Income & Growth Fund IV, Ltd. has negotiated a development partnership with The Dinerstein Group to develop a planned 378 unit multifamily project consisting of 16 stories of residential over a 5 story parking garage. Estimated costs are $101 million and the project is anticipated to commence construction in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

12958792773_2d8eb6002a_b.jpg

One project that is not shown on this map is the Hamilton Apartments, which will go up on St. Joseph Parkway (NW of the intersection of I-45 and US 59/I-69). There's a building permit listed in HBJ, which usually doesn't happen until dirt has started moving. The description is apartment units atop a garage structure. No other details, other than it's a $15 million project. 

12958792773_2d8eb6002a_b.jpg

One project that is not shown on this map is the Hamilton Apartments, which will go up on St. Joseph Parkway (NW of the intersection of I-45 and US 59/I-69). There's a building permit listed in HBJ, which usually doesn't happen until dirt has started moving. The description is apartment units atop a garage structure. No other details, other than it's a $15 million project. 

We need a development map for July or August...