Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

• 4 weeks later...

Take this information with a healthy dose of skepticism. Looking at raw numbers from Emporis regarding "exisiting buildings" , Houston surprisingly ranks as #2 ahead of Chicago ( 3335 vs 3056), but way behind NYC.  I do  not know how many fall into the technical definition of a high rise which has something to do with fire codes.

According to the information to which you linked, Miami has zero buildings taller than 600 Travis (formerly known as JP Morgan Chase Tower) either existing or under construction.  Six are proposed, but none under construction.

(Cool site, by the way... thanks for the link)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

According to the information to which you linked, Miami has zero buildings taller than 600 Travis (formerly known as JP Morgan Chase Tower) either existing or under construction.  Six are proposed, but none under construction.

(Cool site, by the way... thanks for the link)

The website still says it's named JPMorgan Chase Tower

http://www.chasetower.com/building.php?sect=1

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching a local Houston educational channel this past week and they had a program about the Energy Corridor. It looked fairly recent. in the program they had a spokeswoman for BP saying they had plans to build two more buildings, one for the Energy and Gas and one for Worldwide Exploration. I am not sure if the former one was the recent computing center, but I could not find anything about the building for Worldwide Exploration. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

19 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Anyone who hasn't driven through downtown Houston in the last four years will be in for a shock. The place has  and is certainly densifying with all the new construction.

It's absolutely night and day. Best way I can tell there's a noticeable change? Used to be quite easy to find street parking almost anywhere... from Market Square Park to the Discovery Green area. Now it's nearly impossible from 7am to 11pm.

• Like 5

Just be careful parking on Polk near Caroline. Several of us got bagged over the Christmas holiday. No one noticed some obscure sign (among many) regarding no parking due to a  non- metro bus stop. In addition there are marking on the street outlining car parking. 

Back to topic, many of the streets which used to have large gaps from surface lots have buildings or construction.For example Main, Austin, and Capitol streets. Louisiana and Milam seem to feel the most like an urban canyon. Visually pleasant. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit off topic, but related to development. . Depending on your point of view good news or bad. New census estimates claim the Houston MSA grew by approximately 163,000 from 2014 to 1015. The largest increase in the country once again. Second year in a row growth has been greater than 150K. Population must be over 6.7 million at this point. Amazing numbers. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

A bit off topic, but related to development. . Depending on your point of view good news or bad. New census estimates claim the Houston MSA grew by approximately 163,000 from 2014 to 1015. The largest increase in the country once again. Second year in a row growth has been greater than 150K. Population must be over 6.7 million at this point. Amazing numbers. 

Not sure where you got the 163,000 number.  The growth from 2014 to 2015 was 159,083.  Still phenomenal and the largest increase in the country (I wonder if any US metro area has ever before grown by 159,000 in one year.   The population (estimate) as of July1, 2015 was 6,656,947.  So, yes, we are almost certainly over 6.7 million by now.

21 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Not sure where you got the 163,000 number.  The growth from 2014 to 2015 was 159,083.  Still phenomenal and the largest increase in the country (I wonder if any US metro area has ever before grown by 159,000 in one year.   The population (estimate) as of July1, 2015 was 6,656,947.  So, yes, we are almost certainly over 6.7 million by now.

Need to count the illegals so I guess a 163,000 number would be correct

I checked the numbers on the census.gov for MSA. It lists Houston MSA 2015 as 6,656,947 and Houston MSA 2014 as 6,490,180.  This comes out as 166,767. What ever number 159 K or 166 K they are huge numbers. Do not know if this is the largest ever.  I know Chicago grew very fast in the 19th century and LA in the 20th but don't know the numbers.

49 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I checked the numbers on the census.gov for MSA. It lists Houston MSA 2015 as 6,656,947 and Houston MSA 2014 as 6,490,180.  This comes out as 166,767. What ever number 159 K or 166 K they are huge numbers. Do not know if this is the largest ever.  I know Chicago grew very fast in the 19th century and LA in the 20th but don't know the numbers.

The 2015 estimates table on Census.gov shows the 2014 estimate was 6,497,864.

It looks like they revised the 2014 estimate upwards since last year.  (The 2014 estimates table shows 6,490,180.)  I think the most accurate comparisons would need to use the numbers from the 2015 table.

Edited by Houston19514

• 4 weeks later...

Just pulled together the number of buildings under construction and proposed for cities here in Texas.

Houston

We've been holding onto the top spot for under construction and proposals for some time now. The number is expected to drop for under construction. Many towers are wrapping up, and few are expected to begin. While our number of proposals may remain high, many of them are likely on hold.

Under Construction: 32

Proposed: 63

Dallas

Under Construction:  16

Proposed: 36

Fort Worth

Under Construction: 2

Proposed: 3

Austin

Under Construction: 14

Proposed: 29

San Antonio