Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

I have optimism for Block 334. The hotel at the northeast corner of the Hardy Toll Road and I-45 took 18 months but finally became a Homewood Suites.

Speaking of that, has anyone else had the experience of driving in on I-45 and passing the tower cranes that loom like sentinels on either side of the 242 interchange? Two hospital complexes are going up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a pretty cool summary of downtown's history and also present developments and initiatives and has some really awesome photos of market square when it was full and dense.

http://cumulus.encore-us.com/manage/system/files/semiprivate/URBAN$CAPES%20-%20Planning%20and%20Building%20the%20Downtown%20Project,%20Lonnie%20Hoogeboom.compressed.pdf

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 5

This is a pretty cool summary of downtown's history and also present developments and initiatives and has some really awesome photos of market square when it was full and dense.

http://cumulus.encore-us.com/manage/system/files/semiprivate/URBAN$CAPES%20-%20Planning%20and%20Building%20the%20Downtown%20Project,%20Lonnie%20Hoogeboom.compressed.pdf

Wow, thanks for that Lockmat. So it looks like these developments actually have an extended deadline of 2019 to get these projects finished.

• Like 2

So tell me what would prevent Houston from building a cement pond off of Buffalo bayou?

Ironically (or not, depending on whether you knew about it), they are doing just that.

"Lost Lake"

I rode my bike over there a few weeks ago, and it would be more appropriately named "Lost Puddle".

Either way, a nice concrete pond to add facilities to our bayou system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hyatt was going to build a new building... instead they were going to put the hotel in 1114 Texas ave - right?

I never heard of anything being canceled...

Oh, yes.  I forgot that 1114 Texas is slated to be a Hyatt Place. 

I was referring to the earlier proposal for a Hyatt Place on La Branch (on the same block where the Hampton Inn and Homewood Suites are going).  The proposal on LaBranch was indeed canceled and the developer sold the property.  The proposed Hyatt Place in 1114 Texas is by a different developer.

Edited by Houston19514

Does anyone else looks at downtown from one of the cams, and literally get excited thinking about how much more vibrant and lively it will be in say 5 years once all this stuff is built and the GFR's are established? 

• Like 5

From the article:

"Developers quickly claimed the tax credits, and Houston doubled the size of the initiative to a total of 5,000 housing units in 2014. Developers signed up for the last of these incentives early this year; however, some might drop out because of concern that Houston’s energy economy will be damaged by falling oil prices or that too much competition exists from other apartments under construction. “One or two may have stalled because of the change in the price of oil,” says Parker, but she notes that the city has a waiting list of other developments interested in the incentives."

Does that mean that other projects could get the incentives if a developer who already has incentives drops their project?

• Like 2