Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

Since the previous image I posted in the Regent Square thread was so well received, I thought I'd do another one, but with a bigger scope that includes other big projects (not all for sure).

Often times, I forget that not everyone can immediately see the bigger picture like this in their head (because this is what I see all the time, and I have to for my own work), and images like these could be beneficial to everyone here (even me). So I decided that I'll try to do more of these. Our city is really changing and growing, and it will help us all to better visualize that change. A picture is worth a thousand words right?

Below is a quick compilation that I did in photoshop to give everyone here an idea of how impactful these developments will be visual on our existing landscape.

If the full buildout is done then this is what our city will look like:

MqbmP1Z.jpg

Superb!

• Like 5

ZC has a number of projects not yet listed on their website.

http://zieglercooper.com/urban-residential/

New projects:

Morgan Yale - W 4th. & Yale St.

Upper Kirby Confidential High-Rise: 2807 Bammel Lane (Villa Borghese site)

Projects we already know ZC is behind:

Confidential Mid-Rise: Novel River Oaks

Confidential Hotel & Residences: 3737 Buffalo Speedway Phase II

Confidential Hotel: Loews Regency

UrbanResidential_Map-940x626.jpg

• Like 8

Back to the whole population question, this article from the Kinder Institute should put into perspective that Houston surpassing Chicago is not a given by any means.  Not that that necessarily is a bad thing ... but I’m sure much of the article may come as a surprise to many, in particular the net domestic migration. I’m sure the stats for LA and Miami look similar in terms of components of population change, even omitting the large drops in domestic migration in 2016 and 2017.  Are there any demographers out there? That out-migration is pretty spectacular ... I wonder if there are any historical parallels for a single year.

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/04/10/houston-suburbs-are-booming-harris-county-not

Edited by mattyt36

Interesting article, a little worrisome but these trends seem to ebb and flow so hopefully it will bounce back. I personally would only consider living in the city or well outside of it. The middle ground seems to have the worst of both rural living and urban living with few of the advantages of either. 

• Like 3

The number of Houston-area apartments permitted in the 12 months ended April 30 was up 200 percent over the previous year, elevating Houston to the No. 2 spot of top metros ranked for permit activity, new data shows

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-apartment-permits-triple-from-a-year-ago-13942693.php

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Back to the whole population question, this article from the Kinder Institute should put into perspective that Houston surpassing Chicago is not a given by any means.  Not that that necessarily is a bad thing ... but I’m sure much of the article may come as a surprise to many, in particular the net domestic migration. I’m sure the stats for LA and Miami look similar in terms of components of population change, even omitting the large drops in domestic migration in 2016 and 2017.  Are there any demographers out there? That out-migration is pretty spectacular ... I wonder if there are any historical parallels for a single year.

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/04/10/houston-suburbs-are-booming-harris-county-not

38 minutes ago, Triton said:

There just cant be near the number of New single family builds inside the loop / Harris county, as there will be in the suburbs. When we rely on multifamily units to boost our population, we need to remember it will eb and flow with economic conditions.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Avossos said:

There just cant be near the number of New single family builds inside the loop / Harris county, as there will be in the suburbs. When we rely on multifamily units to boost our population, we need to remember it will eb and flow with economic conditions.

Not really surprised. Its interesting data though. Suburbs have historically been easy access ways into large cities because typically its expensive to live in the interior of an urban area. We have seen enormous growth in the interior in past years, but this was mostly because it was so cheap and sparsely populated for so long. It seems that in this first round of urban growth things might be plateauing in regards to domestic and internationals coming in from other places until more units are built and what is already existing ages more until it becomes more affordable and then the cycle will turn. What I have been seeing is most of the people that are moving into town are people that have been living in the suburbs for long periods of time, or their kids are moving into town. Its also interesting that where you lived in suburbia also informs where you will live within 610. Here in Montrose, most people I have meet, the younger crowd, are coming from Memorial, Katy, Energy Corridor, Cinco Ranch, etc... When I go to The Heights, again the younger crowd, its from places like Cypress, Tomball, Klein, The Woodlands, Spring, etc... Where I've been seeing more Domestic expats and International expats that immediately move into the city and not the suburbs are in places like Midtown, EaDo, East End, and now they are trickling into 3rd Ward. Again though this isn't surprising since there aren't a lot of vast exterior suburbs to the East of town for people to move from with the exception of those in the South like Clear Lake, etc... (which I haven't had a lot of contact with interesting enough so my sampling will be skewed. Would like some additional support here).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Interesting article. My guess is this. Most of our blue-collar workers live in Harris County, while the other counties are more white collar. When the oil bust hit, the oil industry shed about 300,000 mostly blue collar jobs, all across the country but concentrated in Houston. Most of those jobs have not come back. Many people had moved here short term to work those jobs, just like people moved to Williston, ND, and Midland-Odessa. When they lost their jobs, they moved out.

If Harris County still isn't growing in a couple years then I will worry; until then, I'm not concerned.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Interesting article. My guess is this. Most of our blue-collar workers live in Harris County, while the other counties are more white collar. When the oil bust hit, the oil industry shed about 300,000 mostly blue collar jobs, all across the country but concentrated in Houston. Most of those jobs have not come back. Many people had moved here short term to work those jobs, just like people moved to Williston, ND, and Midland-Odessa. When they lost their jobs, they moved out.

If Harris County still isn't growing in a couple years then I will worry; until then, I'm not concerned.

Agreed. Its kinda like that spike in Homelessness that was stated in that one article, but then it went down once people that normally wouldn't be homeless found shelter again. Its why I didn't really care for the guy in the article saying "those days are over". If we simply pulled that frame further out and look at the overall Houston population trend? Its going up and at faster rates than the cities that were talked about. We are growing at a faster pace than a city like Chicago. Its why I'm not concerned either. Its weird because they have the data, but are looking at it from a microscope level and not looking at overall trends as well. You also can't just look at data in the abstract. Its only part of the equation. People always seem to get that part of statistics wrong.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Back to the "world cities" discussion . . . Houston moved up 6 spaces to 35 in ATKearney's ranking of global cities.

https://www.atkearney.com/global-cities/2019

From the article:

"Houston jumps from 41 to 35, largely because it is attracting more global firms. The city also improved its relevance in search results, a metric that indicates heightened interest. "

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

From the article:

"Houston jumps from 41 to 35, largely because it is attracting more global firms. The city also improved its relevance in search results, a metric that indicates heightened interest. "

As long as it wasn't because it was part of a string that included "flooding" . . .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, mattyt36 said:

Net domestic migration of -40k during a period of national economic expansion cannot be written off as an “ebb and flow.” Those numbers are truly shocking, at least to me.

All the freeway widening projects are doing their job. They are moving people into other counties. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Luminare said:

In order to really get this back on track, I guess I can show y'all what I've been working on the past week. Its not ready for prime-time yet (meaning a dedicated thread in Going Up *which I'll try to get it pinned*), but thought it would be nice to give a good preview. Basically I'm working on a dedicated HAIF Development map. I'm sure there are others out there, but I've gotten tired of either searching for them or relying on others to keep them updated. It still has a ways to go as there is so much content on this site to comb through. For now I'll leave the link here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?hl=en&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ&ll=29.754389702550483%2C-95.37732897909723&z=14

Says can’t open in map.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Now try. As well as those that probably couldn't see it before. Forgot to press the share button and give permissions to those who have the link to access the map. Let me know if it works.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?hl=en&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ&ll=29.744508003201226%2C-95.37503325305198&z=16

All set brotha!

• Like 2

It's always kind of amazing to see how much development is happening in the city and then to look at a map like this and see how relatively small of an area is actually being developed compared to the rest of the city. Thanks for the work Luminare!

• Like 7