I am surprised nobody has mentioned this news... Lyme Properties of Cambridge, MA has announced that it has closed on property located at 1911 Holcombe between the Spires Condo and the Ronald McDonald House. Plans call for a building that will house 25,000 square feet of retail/restaurant space, 125,000 square feet of research and lab space, and 350,000 square feet of medical office space.

The best news is that Lyme Properties erects FIRST CLASS projects. Here's a look at a similar sized building rising in Boston's Longwood Medical Center right now. The Blackfan Research Center will have underground parking and rise 300 feet above ground (18 floors).

blackfan.jpg

It's also another sign that the Texas Medical Center is really taking off. I cant wait to see what the Houston project will look like. To see more examples of Lyme's work, check out www.lymeproperties.com

• Like 1

WOW! This thing looks awesome, although it will change the way the Holcome entrance into the Main TMC will look like. Ive always enjoyed the nice wooded drive into the main part. oh well, this is a beautiful building!

nice

The only empty lot on Holcombe between the south bank of Braes Bayou and Almeda, on either side of the street, is between the Spires and the Ronald McDonald House. This lot was, I believe, originally intended for a twin of the Spires. There is a 'Now Leasing' sign on the property which has been in place for several months. Between that lot and the RMc House is where the already approved Cambridge Street bridge (connecting at the Confederate monument on MacGregor) is to be constructed. Is it possible the VA is releasing that corner on the south side of Cambridge? They have already relinquished a very large easement for the widening of Cambridge Street to Old Spanish Trail, which includes a 30 foot buffer, separating the Devonshire neighborhood from the pending street project. Incidentally, the bridge, which was highly contested along with the street project by the local homeowner's associations, is supposedly to be an 'ornamental-type' design. Anyone know who's designing it?

nice

The only empty lot on Holcombe between the south bank of Braes Bayou and Almeda, on either side of the street, is between the Spires and the Ronald McDonald House. This lot was, I believe, originally intended for a twin of the Spires. There is a 'Now Leasing' sign on the property which has been in place for several months. Between that lot and the RMc House is where the already approved Cambridge Street bridge (connecting at the Confederate monument on MacGregor) is to be constructed. Is it possible the VA is releasing that corner on the south side of Holcombe? They have already relinquished a very large easement for the widening of Cambridge Street to Old Spanish Trail, which includes a 30 foot buffer, separating the Devonshire neighborhood from the pending street project. Incidentally, the bridge, which was highly contested along with the street project by the local homeowner's associations, is supposedly to be an 'ornamental-type' design. Anyone know who's designing it?

• 2 years later...

http://listings.cushwake.com/us/exclusive/...;SL=No&FS=1 says

As exclusive agent, we are pleased to offer the following property for sale: 2.0 Acres Available tab_L.gifP r o p e r t y D e s c r i p t i o n tab_R.giftrans.giftrans.gifProperty Type: Land Property Size: 2.0 AC Sale Price: $ 13,184,250 trans.giftrans.gifDescription: On NEC of Holcombe Boulevard and the Cambridge Street extension (to be completed by spring 2008). Full utilities to the site. Amenities: On NEC of Holcombe Boulevard and the Cambridge Street extension (to be completed by Spring 2008); excellent potential for medical, office, residential or mixed-use; full utilities to the site.

Lyme Properties pulled out of the project about six months ago and sold the property. The property is for sale again--the price I heard was $9.2 million, not $13+ million. The Cambridge extension will take a little land from that site, but most will come from the Ronald McDonald property. There are Relaint easements along the bayou side of the property which was one of the reasons Lyme pulled out. GSO has been contemplating putting property at the SE corner of Holcombe and Cambridge on the market. Several medical institutions (as well as Lyme) have discussed the property, but nothing has happened. The government moves slowly. I expect Lyme lost interest when they abandoned their plans for the property adjacent to The Spires.

Does anyone know what will happen to the little Devonshire neighborhood? That's the small(three streets) neighborhood between Cambridge and Staffordshire, behind where the proposed Cambridge Tower on Woodbury will go and in front of the propsed Baylor Hospital..

Does anyone know what will happen to the little Devonshire neighborhood? That's the small(three streets) neighborhood between Cambridge and Staffordshire, behind where the proposed Cambridge Tower on Woodbury will go and in front of the propsed Baylor Hospital..

it will all be gone in a matter of time. at last count, there are only about seventeen 1920s - 50s era homes left.

there's more talk about Devonshire in these threads:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=7864

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=11102

Edited by sevfiv

• 6 years later...

Bisnow reports of a 2 acre site at Cambridge and Holcombe in medical center that will be put into the market. It's said a highrise will be seen there.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/multifamily-monday-private-equity-goes-suburban/

And in a few weeks, they're bringing to market a Med Center site—pictured, two acres at Cambridge and Holcombe—that'll see high-rise development (they've already received hotel and multifamily offers).

almTNgy.png

Renderings and latest info:

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2015/01/dinerstein-to-break-ground-on-high-rise-rental-tower/#21137101=0

landingpage.jpg

16095924099_5b739f48a2_b.jpg

16256118256_cd7e67cf7f_b.jpg

16280262891_ca53a7643a_b.jpg

16282050765_a08a35bd4d_b.jpg

• Like 4

Not really surprised - the original plan for The Spires called for two identical residential towers. The bust in the 80s killed that version of the proposal though.

Looking forward to seeing more about the plans for this site.

That explains why it's called the SpireS, plural.. They said plans would be announced in a few weeks right?

No that it will be put into the market in a few weeks.

Exactly.  They are putting the land on the market in a few weeks

They said they'd received some off the market offers that lead them to believe it will wind up being a high rise, but it seems we're a ways off from hearing anything concrete on this

• Like 3

• 11 months later...