Houston Botanical Garden At The Glenbrook Golf Course

cloud713

does anyone think Houston will ever get a legit botanical gardens? the ones in San Antonio are very nice and it would be a great addition to things to do/see around town.

i know there are some smaller gardens, but why dont we have a full fledged botanical garden like many major cities?

• Like 2

I think Centennial Park next to Herman Park is going to be a nice botanical garden. Also its right next to the proposed helix tower.

T4xZHpK.jpg

I've posted this before but each time I see these renderings I wonder why the notion of a Shakespeare Garden never came to anyone's mind? I have been to the New York Botanical Garden when they did Mark Twain's, Emily Dickensons, and Monet's Garden as special events--they were so lovely.

• Like 2

Hermann Park should replace the golf course with more gardens and usable park space. Hundreds, even thousands enjoy Hermann park in a day, but the half that is golf course is used by a few doxen at most. Seems like an inefficient use of the land. they should put a real aquarium there too.

If only I were a rich influential philanthropist.

• Like 4

Hermann Park should replace the golf course with more gardens and usable park space. Hundreds, even thousands enjoy Hermann park in a day, but the half that is golf course is used by a few doxen at most. Seems like an inefficient use of the land. they should put a real aquarium there too.

If only I were a rich influential philanthropist.

. Bad idea. Public golf courses are in such demand and low supply in this town. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it's not good. That course is always jam packed. I don't care for Shakespeare in the park but that doesn't mean we should take out the sparsely used amphitheater to suit me.
  • Like 4

does anyone think Houston will ever get a legit botanical gardens? the ones in San Antonio are very nice and it would be a great addition to things to do/see around town.

i know there are some smaller gardens, but why dont we have a full fledged botanical garden like many major cities?

There is a group committed to doing this

To donate to this effort, please make your check payable to

Houston Botanic Garden

And send to

Houston Botanic Garden

P. O. Box 27510

Houston, Texas 77227

• Like 2

. Bad idea. Public golf courses are in such demand and low supply in this town. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't mean it's not good. That course is always jam packed. I don't care for Shakespeare in the park but that doesn't mean we should take out the sparsely used amphitheater to suit me.

I don't have anything against golf or public golf courses. In fact i'd love to see many more open in the Houston area. I just believe this particular location would be better served as park space more accessible to the general public.

Hermann Park visitors are basically missing out on one of it's best assets in Brays Bayou. I frequently take the Brays trail to Herman park and would like to see it integrated into the park more. As it is, the golf course serves as a major disconnect from the park and the bayou.

It would also introduce many Houstonians to the trail system that are currently unaware of it.

P.S. I've had a few beers and my firefox spell check isn't underlining my errors for some reason .

• Like 4

I don't care for Shakespeare in the park but that doesn't mean we should take out the sparsely used amphitheater to suit me.

i was actually just looking at Hermann park on google earth and was thinking the area where the amphitheater is would be a great place for botanical gardens since its right across the reflection pond from the Japanese Gardens. it would make more sense to put gardens there than where the "Centennial Gardens" is going, further away from the Japanese Gardens.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

There is a group committed to doing this

To donate to this effort, please make your check payable to

Houston Botanic Garden

And send to

Houston Botanic Garden

P. O. Box 27510

Houston, Texas 77227

This group's proposal is for a Botanical Garden at Gus Wortham Golf Course.  I didn't find that information on their web site but there was to be a speaker on the subject at the Idylwood Civic Club meeting last night.

I did not attend so have no more information.

• Like 1

This group's proposal is for a Botanical Garden at Gus Wortham Golf Course.  I didn't find that information on their web site but there was to be a speaker on the subject at the Idylwood Civic Club meeting last night.

I did not attend so have no more information.

Of course, because there's no reason to have a course on the East side that the less affluent can play. Why don't the garden folks go out and put together a piece of land that isn't being used by a bunch of other people?

• Like 1

My understanding is that their proposed location is in Cullinan Park, not Gus Wortham Park.    Perhaps there has been a change of plans.  I note that the Idylwood Civic Club's Facebook page says the speaker is slated for the September 17 meeting, not the meeting earlier this week, so maybe little frau can attend and update us.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Of course, because there's no reason to have a course on the East side that the less affluent can play. Why don't the garden folks go out and put together a piece of land that isn't being used by a bunch of other people?

It's cheap because not many people play it. I really enjoy playing it. I think it's empty because it still has a bad reputation for being seedy.

It's been at least a decade since a kid shagged a ball I had hit in the rough and tried to sell it back to me though.

• Like 3

My understanding is that their proposed location is in Cullinan Park, not Gus Wortham Park.    Perhaps there has been a change of plans.  I note that the Idylwood Civic Club's Facebook page says the speaker is slated for the September 17 meeting, not the meeting earlier this week, so maybe little frau can attend and update us.

Quite likely their plans have changed as the information in the link you provided seems to have been current in 2009.

Also it would appear that the Idylwood facebook page is incorrect.

In the August 2013 newsletter "Idylwood News", it is stated that:

"Jeff Ross--August Civic Club Guest Speaker will be discussing his proposal to turn Gus Wortham Golf Course into a Botanical Garden.  He would like input from the community."

The information in my previous post (the one you took exception to) was taken from an email blast sent out to the neighborhood on August 19, from the civic club president, regarding the meeting to take place on Tuesday August 20.

Why in the world would the Botanical Garden folks be wanting input from east end residents if the garden was to be placed in Cullinan?

Why in the world would the Botanical Garden folks be wanting input from east end residents if the garden was to be placed in Cullinan?

Agreed.  That is why I allowed that perhaps the plans have changed.  Clearly, one or both of these groups has incorrect information posted on their website/facebook page...  ;-)   

It is also possible they are making the rounds of civic groups around town to build support for the Botanic Gardens.  There are a lot of confusing signals.  There are earlier bits of information that say it was planned for Herman Brown Park.  Both Cullinan Park and Gus Wortham have master plans that do not include Botanic Gardens.  Both are listed as "current projects" on the Houston Park Board's website.

It would be great if you could follow up with a fellow civic club member and get the latest scoop.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Eastwood Civic Associations FB page, the Houston Botanic Gardens will be discussing their plans to convert half of the Gus Wortham Golf Course into gardens at tonight's Super Neighborhood 64/88 meeting. So I am guessing this Wortham proposal IS legitimate. Then again, this Houston Botanic Garden entity has had proposals for gardens all around town over the years! Originally, it was to be located at Herman Brown Park in Northeast Houston, then in Cullinan Park, as discussed, and now at the Wortham Golf Course. Really, how hard is it to pick a site and just stick with it! For those interested, tonight's meeting will be held at 2002 S. Wayside at 6:30p.

Edited by intencity77

Right, it's on Idylwood's web page too.  www.idylwood.org  

Now, however, Idylwood has other woes.  The Houston Parks Board wants to put a parking lot at the curve on N. Macgregor Way & Sylvan for the hike and bike trail.  Idylwood just found out about this when park folks were tagging trees to be cut down. 

"They" said that the parking lot has been in their plans all along but no renderings or maps can be found showing this.  With so many other locations around that could be used, it's a mystery why they want to put it in a neighborhood.  They'll have to destroy a green space and trees to put in asphalt.

• 3 weeks later...

ive never seen the course in person but the scenery does look nice. i could see why they would choose that area, it would definitely make for a great setting for a botanical garden with the "rolling hills", mature shady trees throughout the area, and the bayou. i wish it wasnt so far from downtown but its nice that its near the east end light rail line.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I still don't understand this.

I mean, I get it, but it is a horrible idea.

As someone who has played the 3 in the loop courses, Hermann is by far the most boring, and Gus is the most interesting to play. It would be a shame, from a perspective of interesting courses, to dump the Gus because it doesn't have doctors working right next door. Oh well. I guess I'll have to go play a few rounds and enjoy it while it lasts, not like there will be strong enough opposition to this.

They really should be looking at Sharpstown as the target for this, the only thing that course offers is being really long, but I bet it gets as much play as Memorial, or Hermann.

• Like 1

This group should try to actually visit that course on a Saturday or Sunday morning. When I played golf there you could hear extremely loud music and a girl barking the Fiesta deals of the day through a loud speaker non-stop. It is anything but serene.

• Like 1

The last Idylwood Civic Club meeting had something of a brouhaha between those for and those against this deal.  It's still fairly early to draw any swords but there are petitions being circulated already.

So if they get a long term lease from the COH, raise the money to make it a reality and no one wants to visit this side of town, what happens then?