Remy On The Trails: Multifamily At 10421 Deerwood Rd.

Juanitos Superior

Rumor on the street is that Cameron acquired 25 acres from Apache.  I believe this location is the former Dow Chemical HQ at 400 West Sam Houston Parkway.  They have real estate all over the city, particularly in Westway Park.  This must be a large consolidation for them.  Apparently going to include over 1 million square feet of office.  Patrinely will develop it for Cameron...you have to believe the architect will be Gensler.  Same team currently developing Southwestern Energy's new HQ in Springwoods Village.

How many energy companies are left to build new campuses for?

• Like 2

Rumor on the street is that Cameron acquired 25 acres from Apache.  I believe this location is the former Dow Chemical HQ at 400 West Sam Houston Parkway.  They have real estate all over the city, particularly in Westway Park.  This must be a large consolidation for them.  Apparently going to include over 1 million square feet of office.  Patrinely will develop it for Cameron...you have to believe the architect will be Gensler.  Same team currently developing Southwestern Energy's new HQ in Springwoods Village.

How many energy companies are left to build new campuses for?

Cameron is indeed spread out all over town. Only problem I see with a new campus - they're in multiple long-term leases in their current buildings.... two new leases this year alone. BUT, they have had a couple of decent sized projects on the drawing board recently that have been stopped rather abruptly. Could mean something.

A lot. There are a half dozen smaller energy companies (people size, not revenue size) that will build in the next 12-18 months. There are two large companies that will build in the next 24 months.

• Like 1

Cameron is indeed spread out all over town. Only problem I see with a new campus - they're in multiple long-term leases in their current buildings.... two new leases this year alone. BUT, they have had a couple of decent sized projects on the drawing board recently that have been stopped rather abruptly. Could mean something.

A lot. There are a half dozen smaller energy companies (people size, not revenue size) that will build in the next 12-18 months. There are two large companies that will build in the next 24 months.

I noticed their 12 story building in Westway Park recently changed the signage to read OneSubsea, their JV that was announced earlier this year with Schlumberger.  So maybe they're coming out of that.  They also own a building in Westway Park...the former Baker Hughes facility.

Can you name any of those companies that will be looking in the next 12 to 24 months?  Will they be out west?

• Like 1

I do a lot of work with NOV (National Oilwell Varco), and they are gigantic. They have been steadily acquiring other companies over the last two years and must have at least 20 different buildings and sites in Houston. I would think they would total somewhere around 2 million square feet of office space alone. If they decide to consolidate in one location it would be big.

• Like 1

I do a lot of work with NOV (National Oilwell Varco), and they are gigantic. They have been steadily acquiring other companies over the last two years and must have at least 20 different buildings and sites in Houston. I would think they would total somewhere around 2 million square feet of office space alone. If they decide to consolidate in one location it would be big.

Like Wilson Safety ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the info below, this may have been a proposed design for the HQ.

Corporate_Development_2.jpg

Corporate_Development_3.jpg

Prominently located on a 24 acre site, this multi-phased office complex was master planned to serve as a corporate headquarters and to provide Class-A office space for additional tenants.

Sustainably designed to achieve LEED-CS Gold certification, the development allows for the flexible build out of up to four buildings and three parking structures. The office buildings have been designed in an arc around a richly landscaped garden and water feature. The focal point of the development, this unique open space provides an intimate, verdant environment to be enjoyed by employees, tenants and visitors.

The initial phase of the development features a thirty-story, 720,000 gsf tower which is set back from the arc and on axis with the garden. The tower anchors the development and offers a distinctive landmark for the corporate headquarters. Subsequent buildings range in height from 9 to 14 stories and from 216,000 to 336,000 gsf in area.

Size: 1.6 million gsf
Client: Confidential
Architect of Record: Kendall/Heaton Associates

http://www.pickardchilton.com/mobile/corporate_development_mp.html

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 1

I think you are correct. If you look at the shape of the land on the model it is the shape of the property also the lake on the site is the in the same position as the one included in the model. The two large parking structures and the large tower would be built adjacent to the beltway and the other buildings would be behind it to the west.

Great find, I have always liked this design hopefully it isn't ruled out.

• Like 2

I think you are correct. If you look at the shape of the land on the model it is the shape of the property also the lake on the site is the in the same position as the one included in the model. The two large parking structures and the large tower would be built adjacent to the beltway and the other buildings would be behind it to the west.

Great find, I have always liked this design hopefully it isn't ruled out.

The long-term leases for some of the buildings they currently occupy would also explain why it says the new HQ would be built in phases. Gensler and Pickard Chilton worked together for the ExxonMobil Campus, so it's possible they're working together for this one too. I really like the design as well.

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 1

Gensler and Pickard Chilton worked together for the ExxonMobil Campus, so it's possible they're working together for this one too. I really like the design as well.

Pickard Chilton works with most major commercial architects in town. You'll see them teamed with Kendall Heaton quite a bit too. 

As for the Exxon campus, I think most of the major commercial architects in town had a piece of it. Kirksey built a lab or two, and PDR was involved in the interior design of the office buildings. They all seemed to play well together.

• Like 1

West Sam Houston beltway?!? Seriously? The design is kinda decent but the location? Come on.

Seriously, you have got to stop this. Please stop, think and use some form of reason and deduction before making comments. I'm at the point that I wonder if your just screwing with everybody.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Houston-based Cameron did not comment on their plans for the site. However, Houston-based Patrinely Group confirmed this week it was selected to develop the site for the company, with a groundbreaking on the project sometime next year.

“We are assisting them with the design, but nothing has been finalized yet,” said Dennis Tarro, executive managing director for Patrinely Group.

Although Tarro could not confirm Cameron’s plans for the site, he said the oilfield services company could have a goal of creating a campus-style development with a series of buildings, rather than a large tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/11/exclusive-cameron-buys-old-dow-site.html

• Like 3

Seriously, you have got to stop this. Please stop, think and use some form of reason and deduction before making comments. I'm at the point that I wonder if your just screwing with everybody.

Don't feed the troll.

Yes, the location is actually perfect considering they will be in good company with their peers.

• Like 3

West Sam Houston beltway?!? Seriously? The design is kinda decent but the location? Come on.

There comes a time when we need to accept that Houston is a multimodal city in a multimodal metro.

The Energy Corridor isn't going away soon, Uptown isn't going anywhere, other areas are not going anywhere.

Yes, I would rather a more developed core, but Houston will never be a single business district city and I have accepted that.

As for the location, it looks fine to me. It not being downtown can't be the only reason it is bad.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2016/07/15/exclusive-heres-what-kind-of-developers-are-eyeing.html

Rooftops could rise on a large tract of land in Westchase that was a former Dow Chemical Co. site and was acquired by Cameron International Corp. in 2013, the land's broker said.

"We received many inquiries from multifamily (developers), and a couple of office developers," said Brandi McDonald with Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, which is marketing the 24.5-acre tract of land at 400 West Sam Houston Parkway. McDonald also said mixed-used developers have shown interest. She's been involved with the land since 2013, she said.

Cameron Village LLC has owned the property since June 2013, according to the Harris County Appraisal District. The land is best known as being the former home of Dow Chemical Co., which vacated the site in 2008. Before Cameron bought the site in 2013, it belonged to Mariner Energy for several years. Mariner was purchased by Houston-based Apache Corp.(NYSE: APA). The land was then sold to Cameron.

The land's value is appraised at $28.8 million, according to the HCAD. It is the largest undeveloped site in the Westchase District, McDonald said.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...