Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Howard Huge

Sharon of Tacos a gogo to bring us Retrospect Coffee

30 posts in this topic

Same big block as Luigis pizza behind HCC, across the street from the Station Museum of contemporary art

If you want to read a Chronicle article that is subscription only, you simply copy the title and paste it into Google.  The first result will be the full article, and you won't have to pay for it.  

3 people like this

not sure i'd go since I don't like tacos a go go. very stuffwhitepeoplelike

Pictures of Retrospect Coffee Bar's construction at 3709 La Branch in Midtown (TABC Notice on Houston Chronicle piece had a 3704 La Branch address):

Outside progress. 9 cedar elms with a little concrete work!

929180_142270672610068_706007821_n.jpg
[Photo Retrospect Coffee Bar on Instagram]

Inside progress. We'll keep as much exposed brick as possible!

10483465_252880048244894_902305626_n.jpg

We found an antique Phillips 66 work table at @nativecitizen! This will be our front counter!

10616379_333649243475136_1287873791_n.jp

We removed all the plaster and got down to this beautiful 75+ year old brick. We'll give the brick some love to make it good as new! Thanks to @kinneymorrowarchitecture for all the help getting this place to its original charm!

10684228_372463919571618_1207276561_n.jp

We have started to remove the original windows and will be restoring them back to their historic charm! Thanks @kinneymorrowarchitecture for all the help. They're going to be beautiful!

10598600_1454035614885621_22668214_n.jpg

928304_309646465862121_180334324_n.jpg

After 8 months of restoration and reconstruction, we have the upper windows complete! Thanks to the "Sash Guy"!

11350672_1001688936548334_32942559067624
[Photo from Retrospect Coffee Bar on Facebook]

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
3 people like this

From KUEHN inc two days ago on Facebook:

Get Ready to Enjoy the most premium Coffee Houston has to offer! We are Proud to be the builders and officially start Construction on Retrospect Coffee Bar at LaBranch and West Alabama. Be on the look out for this historical renovation and potential LEED Platinum Project!

12558952_563952483780304_1885878471_n.jp
[photo from KUEHNinc on Instagram]

5 people like this

This is so cool. Love the addition of trees, and they're doing a really great job with the restoration.

there is another cool old gas station on the corner of la branch and isabella

This is so cool. Love the addition of trees, and they're doing a really great job with the restoration.

I wish I could agree...

Everything sounds great, but here are some things I have noticed. The restoration is 2 years behind. those trees that were planted, are half dead. I drove by a month ago and things looked abandoned. Whatever is happening is going at an unreasonably slow pace, and have many doubts this will ever get finished.

Never underestimate the ability of city permitting to slow things down.

This ^

They just recently gained "historical landmark" status on the structure, which is what took so long. Tons of red tape.

1 person likes this

I wish I could agree...

Everything sounds great, but here are some things I have noticed. The restoration is 2 years behind. those trees that were planted, are half dead. I drove by a month ago and things looked abandoned. Whatever is happening is going at an unreasonably slow pace, and have many doubts this will ever get finished.

It's a historical building and like someone else said, there's lots of red tape involved with that process. Add in the restoration services shown in the pictures above and what looks to be another construction team involved now, and it's going to take a while. If you read the above posts, the construction team hired will begin work in the coming weeks. So it looks like this coffee house will see some progress by spring.

2 people like this

Don't jump to blaming historical status (which they had to apply for.) Houston Permitting isn't really set up for this type of project, so a vast array of things could have slowed the process down.

Looks like they're making progress on this one.  

post-14365-0-70960500-1455935996_thumb.j

3 people like this

If I had put an opening date on my coffee shop, we would have sailed past the deadline by about 2 years.

There are things you can control, there's city permitting, but there's a lot of other things involved outside of just the permitting process that can slow things down (permitting only slowed us by about 3 months out of the 2 years beyond when we thought we'd have been open).

So long as the people working on it keep their feet on the ground, focus on their goals, and keep pushing, it will happen.

3 people like this

A blurb about Retrospect Coffee in The Leader:

The second concept is dear to Haynes’ heart. It is a “very, very cool coffee shop” she said.

“It’s called Retrospect and located in an old gas station at  Alabama and La Branch on the edge of the Museum District,” She said. “It’s slated to open in late summer.”

Haynes’ objective with Retrospect is to employ culture, history, design, art, and java blended into an entertaining compatibility and unique environment.

There's an "express review" permit filed yesterday in the permitting center's database for Retrospect Coffee.

2 people like this