"Rolling Stocks"

lockmat

I heard a finance show on the radio explaining that the stock moves three directions: up, down and rolling.

Actually, I'm not sure the what the last one is, but he said the way to make money is through "rolling stocks."

Of course we all know they go up and down, but he was saying to buy stock at the moment the stock bounces back up and sell at it's peak.

Has anyone heard of this? I couldn't find anything via google.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they mean sticks that steady and fairly predictable rises and dips in the stock price.

I had a friend that did this with some relatively small shoe stock. The price fluctuations only ranged about five or ten bucks over a period of a quarter or so, but he claimed he made quite a bit.

I never was able to have enough to buy it in quantities to make it worth my while.

Some stocks have a really seasonal flow, like maybe they go gangbusters every holiday season or something.

I prefer buy and hold. Find a good stock at a reasonable price-earnings ratio that pays some dividend and seems like a healthy company with not a ton of debt, and then hold it for a long long time.

At various times I have bought and sold the same stock over and over at or near its peaks and valleys. Recently, I have done it with ExxonMobil. It only varies in about a 10% range, say between 85 and 93. However, I did it two or three times over the course of a year, gaining me a 30% return on a stock that is worth close to the same price a year later. It can be annoying watching it, though.

At various times I have bought and sold the same stock over and over at or near its peaks and valleys. Recently, I have done it with ExxonMobil. It only varies in about a 10% range, say between 85 and 93. However, I did it two or three times over the course of a year, gaining me a 30% return on a stock that is worth close to the same price a year later. It can be annoying watching it, though.

Just place stop trades if you're fairly confident it'll range trade and you don't have to watch it that closely.

Archived