Two Hermann Place & Three Herman Place: High-Rises At 1661 Hermann Dr.

ClutchCity

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

too bad.  i had hopes for more towers around the park.  i wonder if demand is such that, for some companies, it is more profitable to get something built sooner. or, maybe the market is such that people prefer hi-rise buildings downtown and uptown more so than the med center?  it could be any number of factors.  just thinking "out loud".

• Like 1

the same owners just announced a midrise apartment complex for the property next to this, so they may be focusing their efforts on that one first?

Please disregard pre-edit post. Confused this thread with the Market Square thread.

Edited by houstontexasjack

Regardless of Nate's prognostications and predilections for this tower, it is off the table. Confirmed.

It's sad to loose this tower, but it's a good sign.

The developers probably got sticker shock from their fancy design when they got bids in, and realized they would need really high rents to make it work. In a healthy market, you scrap your unique design and ask your architects to come up with a more feasible alternative. If we were in the middle of a bubble, they would go ahead assuming rents will keep going up an people will pay top dollar for their awesome apartments...that's how you end up with empty towers.

• 1 month later...

I don't think anyone ever said that.. They just decided to go with the more economical approach to bring in some income to eventually build the tower. Or that's my thoughts at least... The plot where the tower is planned is still earmarked for a highrise (I don't know if it's even big enough for another apartment midrise). TEMA will eventually get around to building something there. I just wish/hoped it would be the twisty design.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This is still planned according to the article, along with an unannounced project by the developer.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/12/75-million-luxury-apartment-project-breaks-ground.html

Tema Development, which was established in 1981, also developed The Parklane, a 35-story luxury condominium tower at 1701 Hermann Drive in the Museum District. The developer is planning two other projects in the Museum District, including a 42-story apartment tower northwest of The Parklane, which was developed in the early 1980s.
  • Like 7

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Wrecking-ball-heading-for-old-Spring-Branch-5935922.php#/1

Tema owns 6.8 acres of land along Hermann Park. One of the buildings it has planned for the site is a 42-story tower. The company announced the project in 2013, but now says the tower will not be developed for least four more years.
  • Like 3

Still on the boards, as part of their "6 year development timeline".

Also a 20ish story residential high rise planned for behind the Residences.

"Tema plans to develop the property in three phases. Here is what's planned for the site:

Hermann Park Residences (final name pending): The seven-story, 224-unit luxury apartment complex will sit on 2.25 acres just east of The Parklane and feature high-end fit and finishes and amenities, including a sky lounge overlooking Hermann Park. The project is scheduled for completion in late 2016.

A high-rise residential tower is planned for a 2.19-acre parcel east of Hermann Park Residences. Tema had announced plans for a 42-story tower last year, but the company is stepping back on that phase of the project to focus on Hermann Park Residences, which is admittedly "less risky" and will be delivered faster, Haidar said. The tower will ultimately be between 35 and 50 stories.

Another mid-rise apartment complex — about 20 stories tall — is planned behind Hermann Park Residences. Its size will be in between the other two projects, Haidar said."

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/12/11/developer-restarts-waylaid-plans-for-residential.html

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 8

50 stories would cross a cool psychological barrier for residential development. As has been previously discussed, once some of the other 40-story developments are developed, going 50 stories will suggest a new kind of ultra-luxury development. I wonder if Tema will try for EB-5 money to help fund this.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

As HAIFers, we should take it upon ourselves to head down to the leasing office and each sign up for a unit, all the while promoting the heck out of One Hermann Place to everyone we know, so that it will fill up faster and there will be so much demand for units they'll be forced to build these new towers..

• Like 5

• 11 months later...
On 5/4/2016 at 7:11 PM, cloud713 said:

As HAIFers, we should take it upon ourselves to head down to the leasing office and each sign up for a unit, all the while promoting the heck out of One Hermann Place to everyone we know, so that it will fill up faster and there will be so much demand for units they'll be forced to build these new towers..

Tangentially related to this, I recommended One Hermann Place to an acquaintance who's moving to Houston.  I've noticed a number of the vacant lots along Almeda and San Jacinto have new signs go up to market the lots.  A few more deals to add a bit more retail to the neighborhood should make it even more attractive for those looking to have the "best of both worlds" as far as a quiet residential area that's within easy walking distance to busier commercial corridors.

• Like 2