Would Rather The Next Super Tall In Downtown Or Uptown?

Moore713

I was Just curious if I am in the minority here. While I love the construction planned for downtown, I can't help but wonder if a the next phase should go toward uptown.. This rumor 102 would look great in ither site really, but I think a super tall would really stand out in uptown along side william tower IMO. 

BTW any history buffs know why  Hines picked uptown for the tower , were they hoping to spark a supertall build in the area or just wanted to be different.

i dont know the history behind it, but im impartial to where the next supertall should go. either way i would be ecstatic Houston is getting a 3rd supertall.. it would be nice if it were in downtown though, between JP Morgan and Wells Fargo, and a bit taller, to fill in the gap between those two.

what if another district got a supertall? like Upper Kirby, the EC, or another of our many skylines. i kind of like Williams Tower being the tallest in uptown. i guess if they moved the beacon to the taller building i wouldnt be opposed to the idea of a supertall in uptown.

what if another district got a supertall? like Upper Kirby, the EC, or another of our many skylines. i kind of like Williams Tower being the tallest in uptown. i guess if they moved the beacon to the taller building i wouldnt be opposed to the idea of a supertall in uptown.

I was hoping that those districts would try to put their stamp on the area by creating a signture tower like williams  did for uptown but no bite, when philps 66 announced they were moving to westchase  and building a new building that was going to be their flagship, I had hoped they would go big and do for westchase what Williams did for Uptown.. But no

You can have a supertalls that's "only" 70 stories, or less if there is an architectural feature/spire on top. I could see it being a fully pre leased building for one large company, or a statement tower, which would most likely be for just one company too.

Downtown, easily. Even with the upcoming construction, Downtown's skyline will not radically change because the new Chevron Tower is so similar to the former Enron complex. And the other towers at the other bookend of Downtown appear to cover up the other in certain angles. So from the well-known "skyline district" angle, a supertall behind our famous frontline skyscrapers is really the only height that would be able to be make an impact(unless it's a skyscraper that is built in the gaps of the district)

Although it makes for different angles from every direction, which is neat, the fact that the most famous angle of downtown is dominated by enormous and tall skyscrapers in the forefront, it makes it difficult for new towers to make a noticeable impact. Look at BG Place/MainPlace, a 600 footer is almost entirely masked from this angle. Just think how much more dense our skyline would appear if the tallest DT towers were in a central core, instead of concentrated linearly on one half of DT.

But I do appreciate having so many different looks to DT.

Downtown for sure. 

1) Because a 102 story tower would absolutely dwarf the rest of Uptown, including the Transco

2) Because of downtown's street grid and access to better public transit. A 102 story tower anywhere in Uptown would be a cluster (& of traffic. Seriously, imagine a 1,400 foot office tower with thousands of employees and nearly everyone of them driving in and out of a garage facility and pouring out onto Uptown roads. 

agreed, maybe there will be one in uptown in the next decade once the light rail system is built out toward the west, and i guess the BRT system could help, especially knowing light rail will come in not long behind it. but anytime soon and it would be a nightmare for the area.

agreed, maybe there will be one in uptown in the next decade once the light rail system is built out toward the west, and i guess the BRT system could help, especially knowing light rail will come in not long behind it. but anytime soon and it would be a nightmare for the area.

That seems like a logical timeframe but I don't think there would be a supertall but maybe something around 40 to 50 storys.

I'll go contrarian and say put it in the Energy Corridor. Right on I-10 where people can see it for miles around, especially coming into town from the west. Something like that would say to the world, "we're so wealthy we can afford to put a big-a$$ tower anywhere we d@mn well please." ;)

that would be nice, and a very plausible idea. one would hope that uptown would get a tower over 40 stories in the next 10 years, given the boom were going through. id say more likely less than 5. it will obviously be along post oak. William is lonely and needs some taller company.

I'll go contrarian and say put it in the Energy Corridor. Right on I-10 where people can see it for miles around, especially coming into town from the west. Something like that would say to the world, "we're so wealthy we can afford to put a big-a$$ tower anywhere we d@mn well please." ;)

i think "F*** ZONING!!!" would be the better statement.  :D

Downtown. As many have said, it's all about the infrastructure. Uptown can hardly handle the current density there. In downtown the block grid, transit streets, freeways, and light rail are all designed to support density. Uptown was never designed for the amount of density it is seeing.

Downtown for sure. 

1) Because a 102 story tower would absolutely dwarf the rest of Uptown, including the Transco

2) Because of downtown's street grid and access to better public transit. A 102 story tower anywhere in Uptown would be a cluster (& of traffic. Seriously, imagine a 1,400 foot office tower with thousands of employees and nearly everyone of them driving in and out of a garage facility and pouring out onto Uptown roads. 

Agree 100%.  Uptown's traffic is already bad enough as it is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived