Sign in to follow this  
trymahjong

Lighting up the Montrose Bridges over I59

trymahjong    222

got an email from the Montrose Management District--

Breaking News:

the Texas Transportation Commission received their recommended list of projects from staff and voted to approve the Montrose Management District’s application for funding to re-light the bridges over US Hwy 59 at their meeting Thursday morning.

This project will replace the non-functioning original light strands with a state-of-the-art LED lighting system that not only will bring back the illumination that has been missing from the US 59 corridor for almost ten years, but will also create a safer environment both below the bridge decking and also for vehicular & pedestrian traffic on the bridges.

The linkage provided by the Montrose bridge cannot be understated. Montrose is the only north/south connector west of the Central Business District that connects traffic from the heavily traveled I-10 to the Medical Center. The bridges not only provide a vital mobility link to communities on both sides, but also are a source of pride for the entire region due to their iconic nature.

then I googled this:

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/west_university/news/m-grant-awarded-for-lighting-of-bridges-over-hwy/article_b4584127-5b33-5eb0-ad79-dd1d1239f519.html

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 4

TowerSpotter    1037

I am really glad their going to add led lighting to it and also will make the area more attractive.

jt16    132

When does TXDOT give up on the stupid vegetation on 59 and start over?  It looks atrocious driving through there.  There are trees growing out of what should be crawlers up the freeway. 

TowerSpotter    1037

When does TXDOT give up on the stupid vegetation on 59 and start over? It looks atrocious driving through there. There are trees growing out of what should be crawlers up the freeway.

I agree the vines and the trees already make it atrocious but adding led lights will make even more atrocious.

trymahjong    222

I'm really glad MMD used State funds-----I'm still hoping for beautification of Montrose Public places. . . . . . Maybe not possible to the same extent as the Galleria- but still I'd like to see some "wow" factor

TowerSpotter    1037

What? That section of 59 is the prettiest freeway in the city. The vines are fantastic.

I didn't mean that is was ugly,  I meant attractive. I didn't know that atroucious meant horrifying. (Feeling dumb)  :blink:

Edited by TowerSpotter

RedScare    1636

a·tro·cious  

/əˈtrōSHəs/

Adjective

1. Horrifyingly wicked: "atrocious cruelties".

Of a very poor quality; extremely bad or unpleasant: "atrocious weather".

Synonyms

horrible - ferocious - cruel - brutal - terrible

HaHa! I am not laughing at you, but your mistake did give me a good laugh.     :D

And, I agree that the vegetation looks wonderful.
  • Like 1

jt16    132

I maintain it looks atrocious. The vegetation is half dead and completely neglected.

jt16    132

I'd prefer they put something they will maintain. The galleria 610 is beautiful and this stretch looks bad to me. It's my opinion, I didn't say it was right but I'm entitled to it

TowerSpotter    1037

I'd prefer they put something they will maintain. The galleria 610 is beautiful and this stretch looks bad to me. It's my opinion, I didn't say it was right but I'm entitled to it

I'd say every highway should be different from each other, thats what makes them unique.

fatesdisastr    509

I've always liked that stretch of 59, 610 and the Galleria as well as 610 and Bellaire with all the pine trees. I am certainly thankful for the roadside tree planting projects in the past decade that are starting to grow and look better.

rsb320    114

Maybe they've been there for a while, but I just noticed the other day.  There are now street signs indicating what street the bridges are.

Montrose1100    2662

I usually take 59 South home, and the greenary is very welcome. However, I'm kind of torn about how wild it has gotten. It kind of represents our natural vegitation and how some of our bayous look like Vietnam. But I've noticed after the sun sets a couple of the lights have been out, and are starting to orange fog over. I'd imagine with some of the plants growing almost over the bulb that it would be hard to change them.

• Like 1

jt16    132

I usually take 59 South home, and the greenary is very welcome. However, I'm kind of torn about how wild it has gotten. It kind of represents our natural vegitation and how some of our bayous look like Vietnam. But I've noticed after the sun sets a couple of the lights have been out, and are starting to orange fog over. I'd imagine with some of the plants growing almost over the bulb that it would be hard to change them.

To be clear I like vegetation but the out of control look drives me crazy. It's my personality. Some people like the wild look but I like the clean cut look.

• Like 1

TowerSpotter    1037

To be clear I like vegetation but the out of control look drives me crazy. It's my personality. Some people like the wild look but I like the clean cut look.

Well yea couldn't disagree with you on that, at first I thought you meant that you didn't like the vines. I would say it would look a lot better if they maintained it every once and a while too.

• Like 1

jt16    132

I also understand the galleria area has the benefit of a budget by way of a tirz and 59 has to rely on a regional txdot office with most likely a small maintenance budget

lockmat    1858

I think the vines look pretty good too, but it wouldn't hurt to trim them once a year, that would be enough I think, but it would probably cost at least 10k...not terribly bad

TGM    122

Maybe the solution is to pick up a ton of that cheap restaurant plastic ivy and weave it into the walls and bridge. Act soon on this one before the historic folks get involved.

cloud713    3541

man this thread was a rollercoaster. first we hated the vines. then we loved them. now we all agree they need to be trimmed up a bit. this has always been one of my favorite stretches of highway, (partly due to the vines on the walls, and partly due to the cool bridges), so im really glad they are re lighting the bridges with some proper LEDs. now if they could just trim the vines back a little (though i kind of like the way the vines have grown on some of the light poles).

• Like 2

Triton    8849

Whatever happened with this? We heard about it last year but I haven't noticed anything. Did they actually put new lights on the bridges?