Rice Epicurean's to Fresh Market!

yeah? well the funny part is the one that is opening on August 21st on San Felipe by my work and home will probably be well received...but then a handful of months later, the new Whole Foods will be opening up across the street haha! Not sure how the Fresh Market-San Felipe will do after that happens!

I see! well cant wait to just see what its all about...decided not to check out another location and just wait the few more weeks left until my location opens to go. thanks!

omg!!! thats craziness! well i will know by your next post that you are still alive! ;) but yeah, i would definitely tell the manager of the store so they can remove the rest and maybe they will give you extra credit or do something nice for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Rice Epicurean was supplied by Grocers Supply Co., right? As from what I've seen, I've never been particularly happy with produce offerings at stores where I've seen it (in quality or price), though it could vary from store to store (the produce at the local Walmart is better than a nearby Kroger, for instance).

well this place should be pretty great then as they are bragging about having the best and most fresh produce in town...i have decided to not visit another location that has opened and just wait on the san felipe location to open since its one street away from both my work and my home... cant wait to at least check it out and then decide for myself.

• 6 months later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/03/as-one-store-closes-experts-say-grocery-biz-still.html

The Fresh Market will close its River Oaks store next week amid an active grocery store war.

The Greensboro, N.C.-based company reported late March 6 that  it will close one of its stores  in the city after it  bought up several former Rice Epicurean Market locations a year earlier. I

It only recently  opened a fourth store in Houston in August and has plans for a fifth this year.

The Fresh Market (Nasdaq: TFM) saw its profits drop 90.4 percent in the fourth-quarter of 2013. CEO Craig Carlock said the company's Houston stores have faced issues with profitability and dragged down  corporate earnings. The company will also close three stores in Sacramento.

A company spokesperson said it still plans to open a new store in Webster, Texas, later this year, and the other three Houston-area stores will not be affected. The River Oaks store that will close is at 3745 Westheimer Road.

interesting that they are closing just that one since its across the street from Central Market but yet keep the one on San Felipe open which is about to have a Whole Foods open across the street... lets see how long that one takes to close as well..............

The one across from Central Market, I blame The Fresh Market's incompetence rather than Central Market's dominance.

Here's the reasoning: Central Market opened 2001. The grocery store where Rice was later opened in the 1970s or 1980s, changing hands (Safeway->AppleTree->Rice Epicurean). From 2001 to 2013, Rice successfully fended off Central Market, yet Fresh Market folds in a year where Rice Epicurean, a far smaller chain, was able to survive.

Of course, it didn't help that TFM's product mix was too similar to Central Market's, too...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.newquest.com/Content/properties/399/WES-SP03.pdf

Walgreens is moving in the old fresh market space which probably means that the walgreens next to highland village is relocating 

More evidence in favor of the Walgreens moving there. https://portal.dailycourtreview.com/downloads/publicnotices/2014/10/PublicNotices9Oct2014.pdf

Too bad, the old Walgreens was really old - made it interesting, in an anachronistic sort of way. 

and in other news lets see how long it takes the fresh market on san felipe to close since the new Whole Foods Post Oak opens this thursday.................

In Atlanta, Fresh Market and WholeFoods competed and co-existed a mile from each other for years.

I assume that the same will happen here.

well these are across the street from each other and no lie, any time i have gone into fresh market there has been at the most 10 people shopping....so if they stay open i am not sure how...with or without whole foods across the street!

well these are across the street from each other and no lie, any time i have gone into fresh market there has been at the most 10 people shopping....so if they stay open i am not sure how...with or without whole foods across the street!

I go to the Fresh Market on Holcombe occasionally.  It's dead every time I go.

• 1 year later...

The one on Holcombe was nice enough, but we never really went to it for some reason.  I'd love for a Trader Joe's to come into that spot but it's probably too close to the one on Shepherd

Archived