Blah!Ā  <_< Ā I would expect to see something like that in suburban DC, not Houston. Lofty ambitions brought down to Earth by escalating costs.

Ā 

So French style....ok that's Houston. English style....moo not very Houston. No offense that's pretty daft. I don't really understand the reasoning behind it lol.

• Like 1

I didn't say the French look was necessarily the best (I'd go for the Dutch look, but that requires a canal. :P ) But there are options. Houston seems to favor the rowhouse, especially if it has industrial elements. Color would also be nice. For some reason everyone thinks that would bring down property values.

Edited by toxtethogrady

lol Cloud...your sarcasm slays me.....no really that was your intention right?

I knew you would disagree but this is an architecture forum and we are allowed to have our own opinions. I seriously liked Saint Honore better than most low/mid rise projects around the city that come to mind, with the exception of the midrise on buffalo bayou at beltway 8. At least Saint Honore looked different from the average town home development.. It had style. This new design looks average.

Edited by cloud713

By all means disagree :P and I will support you in your right to do so, I just don't think it's the best thing coming up even when it was French and not English.

Eh, I may have over reacted a bit in my initial response, but i had always thought SH was one of the best looking town home developments in the city and am bummed to see it replaced by another run of the mill town home development that looks like every other average development going up across the city.

I didn't say the French look was necessarily the best (I'd go for the Dutch look, but that requires a canal. :P )Ā 

Ā 

Oh, we could do canals if we wanted to - just reconfigure those giant toilet cleaner blue retention ponds in the burbs (or clog up the storm sewers).

Oh, we could do canals if we wanted to - just reconfigure those giant toilet cleaner blue retention ponds in the burbs (or clog up the storm sewers).

Ā 

In an alternate timeline, it's not to far-fetched to image us as a city full of canals if maybe the city started 100 years earlier

• Like 1

In an alternate timeline, it's not to far-fetched to image us as a city full of canals if maybe the city started 100 years earlier

Ā 

I've thought about that, too. I like how we're fixing the areas around Buffalo Bayou, but I would really love to see the Bayou City invest more into all of our main bayous to make them more appealing. As great as this city is, it has so much more game-changing potential.

• Like 2

I've thought about that, too. I like how we're fixing the areas around Buffalo Bayou, but I would really love to see the Bayou City invest more into all of our main bayous to make them more appealing. As great as this city is, it has so much more game-changing potential.

Ā 

Ā Bayou Greenways.

Ā 

Willow Waterhole

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

huh? why would you look at your shoes when snobby fake women from Dallas say ignorant crap like that? Dallas is no better looking than Houston..Ā  :huh:Ā  :blink:Ā  :rolleyes:

Yeah, if someone from Dallas said something like that to me, I'd be like LULZ #lookinthemirrormyfriend.

Ā 

Both cities have their share of VERY nice areas, but no one is mistaking either one for San Francisco or Paris in the natural beauty department.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Actually I'm curious why that kind of market hasn't started yet. Would actually be a reduced cost as far as building those enormous apartment blocks go. They could probably lower their parking requirements or even get away with on street parking. This would reduce podiums with whatever buildings they are constructing. Flat Apartments are more flexible in terms of sales. They would definitely sell too! You want to talk about increasing density quick. Just start building a series of those. Not as high end as this development, but in this type of arrangement and that would be fantastic.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Actually I'm curious why that kind of market hasn't started yet. Would actually be a reduced cost as far as building those enormous apartment blocks go. They could probably lower their parking requirements or even get away with on street parking. This would reduce podiums with whatever buildings they are constructing. Flat Apartments are more flexible in terms of sales. They would definitely sell too! You want to talk about increasing density quick. Just start building a series of those. Not as high end as this development, but in this type of arrangement and that would be fantastic.

Ā 

They could build a bunch in downtown that rely on just street parking - I believe the parking minimums are waived in downtown. Ā Each block can hold about 10 cars per side, so they could easily have a half block, 5 story building with flat on each floor. Ā Alternatively, the first floor could be half retail, half off-street parking (open parking sheltered by the 2nd floor) and that would let them make this in midtown and meet those parking minimums.

Ā 

I would definitelyĀ one of those flat apartments lol

• Like 2

I think part of the reasoning is that common areas (entryways, stairs, elevators) are (a) non-revenue generating and (b) require maintenance and upkeep. Leveraging these over a higher quantity of units will tend to keep overall prices down.

Ā 

This model is just under 4500 s.f. over 4 floors,Ā and is listed for just under $2M. Assuming CoH doesn't waive parking minimums it'd need 4 or 5 parking spaces, so you'd lose pretty much any living space on the ground floor. That leaves three apartments at about 1200-1300 s.f., priced from $650-700k, with monthly condo fees high enough to pay for one third of the maintenance of the entire structure.Ā 

Ā 

I've lived in a condo building with only five units, and it has its benefits, but administration was a pain in the ass.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Angostura said:

I think part of the reasoning is that common areas (entryways, stairs, elevators) are (a) non-revenue generating and (b) require maintenance and upkeep. Leveraging these over a higher quantity of units will tend to keep overall prices down.

Ā 

This model is just under 4500 s.f. over 4 floors,Ā and is listed for just under $2M. Assuming CoH doesn't waive parking minimums it'd need 4 or 5 parking spaces, so you'd lose pretty much any living space on the ground floor. That leaves three apartments at about 1200-1300 s.f., priced from $650-700k, with monthly condo fees high enough to pay for one third of the maintenance of the entire structure.Ā 

Ā 

I've lived in a condo building with only five units, and it has its benefits, but administration was a pain in the ass.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You're saying by building it horizontally rather than vertically, it would suddenly be required to have 4 or 5 parking spaces?Ā  I don't think that's how the city's parking requirements work.Ā  Pretty sure the parking requirements are, roughly speaking, based on the number of bedrooms... and they top out at 2 spaces per dwelling unit.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1