102-Story Tower Planned

lockmat

Please tell me what is under construction in downtown Dallas. please do not include Victory park or Uptown. You should look up the Towering Inferno in Dallas. It is a mess! They don't what to do that building. Nasher should move his sculpture Center here where they are building the addition on the MFA. We have much more museums here then Dallas.

There is nothing on construction in downtown Dallas but there are some proposals.

Edit: I think i found the link to the forum nativehoustonian was talking about.

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php/103200-Supertalls

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

ZKB9 from slyscrapercity says he remembers reading about an office/residential tower taking up a parking lot near minuemaid. Could be maybe the 102 story tower or the mixed-use tower by Kurd, maybe the 102 story tower is the mixed/use tower by kurd. Anyways I asked him if he was talking about the rumored 102 story tower and he said:

ZBK9: "I hear there's an office building or something planned near Minute Maid Park, does anyone have more info on this?"

Me: "ZBK9 you are not talking about the 102 story one right?"

ZBK9: "I actually don't know. I just remember reading about some sort of office/residential building being built on a current parking lot near Minute Maid. Is it a 102 story tower? That would be incredible for the area."

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=147895&page=45

google "Ballpark Place" or, better yet, search for it on here. It was a 34 floor mixed-use tower that was proposed for years. Heck, the sign was out in the empty lot for about 8 years or so after Enron/Minute Maid opened.

That lot is now gone. It's part of the Fingers' apartments under construction right now.

google "Ballpark Place" or, better yet, search for it on here. It was a 34 floor mixed-use tower that was proposed for years. Heck, the sign was out in the empty lot for about 8 years or so after Enron/Minute Maid opened.

That lot is now gone. It's part of the Fingers' apartments under construction right now.

Hopefully he's not talking about this one. I think its rescent.

• 4 weeks later...

There is nothing on construction in downtown Dallas but there are some proposals.

Edit: I think i found the link to the forum nativehoustonian was talking about.

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php/103200-Supertalls

Downtown Dallas actually has more high-rise residential under construction than Houston. You can see all the current projects on BuzzBuzzHome for either Dallas or Houston. 

I'd be highly suspicious of any plans for a 50 story+ tower of any type (mixed use, res, office) let alone a 102 story tower in any city in Texas right now. I mean it would be awesome (check out this recent article about the benefits of supertalls ) and they are often used to spur development in an area, but at the crux of it all you have to have immense urban growth, or at least pent up demand for it. I've recently finished adding all new construction projects in Texas (void of rentals) to our site, and the number of low-rise, suburban ones dwarf anything in urban areas.

On the subject of skinny towers, One Madison in New York is 60 storeys but super skinny, but the real kicker is 107 West 57th, its 1350 feet high and skinnier than most builds that are barely over ten storeys! Actually crazy if you look at the renderings. But yes, it's absurdly expensive to build on skinny lots or just skinny in general. Main reason is that building one more floor costs more and more as you go higher (greater feat of engineering, more things to consider, harder to build higher) so developers want to maximize their floorspace per floor to make sure that they can turn a profit. In Houston, skinny projects will probably only happen if and ever becomes very squeezed, which probably will never happen 

Downtown Dallas actually has more high-rise residential under construction than Houston. You can see all the current projects on BuzzBuzzHome for either Dallas or Houston. 

Not true.  Downtown Dallas actually has zero high-rise residential projects under construction.   There are 2 or 3 projects in the Uptown and Victory Park areas adjacent to downtown, but none downtown.

I'd be highly suspicious of any plans for a 50 story+ tower of any type (mixed use, res, office) let alone a 102 story tower in any city in Texas right now. I mean it would be awesome (check out this recent article about the benefits of supertalls ) and they are often used to spur development in an area, but at the crux of it all you have to have immense urban growth, or at least pent up demand for it. I've recently finished adding all new construction projects in Texas (void of rentals) to our site, and the number of low-rise, suburban ones dwarf anything in urban areas.

On the subject of skinny towers, One Madison in New York is 60 storeys but super skinny, but the real kicker is 107 West 57th, its 1350 feet high and skinnier than most builds that are barely over ten storeys! Actually crazy if you look at the renderings. But yes, it's absurdly expensive to build on skinny lots or just skinny in general. Main reason is that building one more floor costs more and more as you go higher (greater feat of engineering, more things to consider, harder to build higher) so developers want to maximize their floorspace per floor to make sure that they can turn a profit. In Houston, skinny projects will probably only happen if and ever becomes very squeezed, which probably will never happen 

I was not talking about residential proposals, I was talking about all sorts of projects(residential, mix-use, etc). Houston flat out has more than Dallas.

Not true.  Downtown Dallas actually has zero high-rise residential projects under construction.   There are 2 or 3 projects in the Uptown and Victory Park areas adjacent to downtown, but none downtown.

True.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my vendors. His company provides equipment necessary for any high rises, so they're always part of the bidding processes. He said they have quarterly meetings to discuss projects they're bidding on and what's in the pipeline.

I can't remember if he said they actually bid on this one or not. Let me contact him.

Edit: he said they haven't bid on it. It's just planned

Could you touch base with him and see if anything has changed in the last 3 months? I know this project is a (very) long shot, but it doesn't hurt to hope!

I too have heard rumblings about this sort of project...  I have a friend who works for a large engineering firm, and they were talking with some oil rich developers who are buddies with the engineering firms owner and proposals around town.  Needless to say they had discussed doing something taller than anything else in Texas and I thought perhaps that this is the group who have been generating interest from a lot of sources about a 100+ floor tower?  At the last discussion with my friend he said it is doubtful those same developers were actually going to do anything near the scale they had tentatively discussed.  I could be wrong, but I would imagine this is the same group that originated the rumblings of said 102 floor tower?  Perhaps there are two groups who've discussed doing something like this?

At any rate - I doubt very much it will happen.  As there were plenty of buildings proposed in the 1980s that were 300m or taller and they didn't get off the ground (sadly).

There is nothing going in downtown Dallas.  Elm Place has been sitting there empty and ugly and they don't know what that building.  It is 628 feet and 52 floors.  Then there is the Museum Towering Inferno is also a fiasco!  30% percent of their buildings in downtown are empty.  And they are proud of that stupid bridge.  

I know a corporate realtor from Cushman and Wakefield.  Last year a developer was looking for a lot near the Ballpark.  That area is out of the height restrictions. He said no transactions were made.  Since they build the Dynamo Stadium land prices have gone over the roof.  He would not tell who, but he said with the tax abatements the developer is searching again.  Please don't be Trump!  He will not tell me because I have a big mouth! :lol:     

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, just two. Back when the original HAIF was around I lied and told everyone I worked for EDI, when I was only 13 or so.... Just thought I'd be honest, now that I'm somewhat an adult. I also lied to Dalparadise about owning a Townhome on Blossom (It was my dad's). I think we argued about it for an entire page on a topic.

Anyways I said there were originally four planned, which I based that off of an article I had read about possibly doing more projects in the area.

Can you all forgive me?

Never.

• 1 month later...

I think the office tower boom is coming to a close. There's something like 13 million square feet either under construction or proposed. It'll be a few years to get them filled up, probably 2016-2017 we'll see the next round of office construction. Maybe as it stands a couple of more towers will be proposed.

The hotel and residential construction on the other hand I think will keep going. Houston's joined Chicago of consistently having residential construction, even in modest times economically.

For the next supertall (either 1,000 feet OR 300 meters) it will probably have to be mixed use residential and hotel component, maybe a bit of office thrown in, to get off the ground anytime in the next several years.

I think the office tower boom is coming to a close. There's something like 13 million square feet either under construction or proposed. It'll be a few years to get them filled up, probably 2016-2017 we'll see the next round of office construction. Maybe as it stands a couple of more towers will be proposed.

The hotel and residential construction on the other hand I think will keep going. Houston's joined Chicago of consistently having residential construction, even in modest times economically.

For the next supertall (either 1,000 feet OR 300 meters) it will probably have to be mixed use residential and hotel component, maybe a bit of office thrown in, to get off the ground anytime in the next several years.

We still have a few ones coming in...they just havent been announced yet. Definetly agree, Houston seems to throw more towers out even though it feels like the wave of projects is almost over.

Archived