102-Story Tower Planned

lockmat

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't there some geological issues with building really tall in Houston? It isn't as if there's solid bedrock anywhere under all the mud such as they have in Manhattan.

Most cities aren't blessed with shallow bedrock like manhattan.

Our soil isn't an issue for us.

You can do a floating platform.... You remove soil approximately equivalent to the weight of the building. Or... It's the concrete foundation is approx the weight if the building. One of those, I don't remember the specifics. I wanna say One Shell Plaza has a 60' deep foundation.

You can also drill hundred and hundreds of deep piers.

Shanghai has no bedrock, clay soil like ours... And deals with earthquakes.... Hasn't stopped them with the supertalls

I spoke with some of my sources and no one has looked at pricing anything of this size.  So if it exist they aren't to the budgeting phase yet. 

None of the big local developers have anything like a 100 story in their projections.  There is no way the financing could come together with an office tower only design.  This would push the would be developer to go mixed-use, which is full of other challenges.  I really don't see any market demand or capacity to build something of this size in Houston.

what about the land Hines owns thats is supposably a super tall plot? im not sure where its located or if its even legit, ive just heard about it in some posts on here and another site i believe.

i agree with most, this building would probably need to be mixed use, or a MAJOR corporate relocation. imagine if Chevron, Exxon, ect had all of their employees consolidated into one huge tower?

If this topic is only a dream then it needs to stay n the downtown section of the forum. There is no concrete evidence that this is going to happen. Let's focus on projects that are legit.

absolutely - the entire premise on this thread is based on nothing more than a couple of comments on swamplot and chron.com. no reason for this to clutter the Going Up subforum.

Sorry, I thought I had put this in the downtown forum.

Initially, it was not based on chron and swamplot commenters. It was from a guy who works for a company that makes bids to do work on high rises. He said it was just planned but they had not yet made a bid on it yet.

Was hoping swtsig would throw us a hint there lol.  But yeah it was originally in Downtown and got moved. 

And I appreciate lockmat posting these rumors.  Fun to follow and adds entertainment. 

Sorry, I thought I had put this in the downtown forum.

Initially, it was not based on chron and swamplot commenters. It was from a guy who works for a company that makes bids to do work on high rises. He said it was just planned but they had not yet made a bid on it yet.

you did.  someone else thought it might get more attention in going up and possibly bring out someone "in the know".  i moved it.  

I hear since Houston is the space city, they're going to build a SPACE ELEVATOR in midtown! This guy on an internet post said they'll demo the Greyhound station and put it there. Total Height: 22,236 MILES! The FAA has to approve it, but I think with Captain Spock's Jedi mind trick, they should be able to secure funding from Omnicorp! 

...not sure where all this is coming from.

Does the thread title not include a question mark implying uncertainty?

What HAIF crime did I commit? Sheesh

Didn't know speculation and hearsay was such a sin.

I hear since Houston is the space city, they're going to build a SPACE ELEVATOR in midtown! This guy on an internet post said they'll demo the Greyhound station and put it there. Total Height: 22,236 MILES! The FAA has to approve it, but I think with Captain Spock's Jedi mind trick, they should be able to secure funding from Omnicorp! 

Has anyone else heard this?  I feel like this is pretty unlikely.  Of all of the downtown proposals this probably has the lowest chance of happening.

...not sure where all this is coming from.

Does the thread title not include a question mark implying uncertainty?

What HAIF crime did I commit? Sheesh

Didn't know speculation and hearsay was such a sin.

It's okay. I actually like the speculation. 

I was making jokes at the expense of you, but was hoping it was in good fun. I apologize. I'm not trying to rip on you. 

I hear since Houston is the space city, they're going to build a SPACE ELEVATOR in midtown! This guy on an internet post said they'll demo the Greyhound station and put it there. Total Height: 22,236 MILES! The FAA has to approve it, but I think with Captain Spock's Jedi mind trick, they should be able to secure funding from Omnicorp!

Are you on drugs sir?

I hear since Houston is the space city, they're going to build a SPACE ELEVATOR in midtown! This guy on an internet post said they'll demo the Greyhound station and put it there. Total Height: 22,236 MILES! The FAA has to approve it, but I think with Captain Spock's Jedi mind trick, they should be able to secure funding from Omnicorp!

By all city planner definitions this would constitute "best and highest use" of property in Midtown.

Apart from the new WTC, what was the last building built taller than Chase anywhere in the U.S.? That Trump thing in Chicago?

Counting Spires, one of the new Times Square Buildings is taller, and 4 Times Square, as well as NY's new BofA Tower. The Spire was never built in Chicago, so just the Trump Hotel.

I think there is also a skinny super tall residential being built in NYC now... Or maybe it's on hold.

Counting Spires, one of the new Times Square Buildings is taller, and 4 Times Square, as well as NY's new BofA Tower. The Spire was never built in Chicago, so just the Trump Hotel.

I think there is also a skinny super tall residential being built in NYC now... Or maybe it's on hold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/432_Park_Avenue

There you go. :)

Archived