102-Story Tower Planned

lockmat

Actually, the Japanese will be the primary source of financing for the HSR project. There's another thread

I have seen other threads that say this.  However, when I read them, it seemed as if people were jumping to conclusions.  I'd rather see more solid evidence before I get my hopes up ...

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic of a super tall residential building going up in Dallas, this doesn't seem viable if the ~50+ story former LTV tower is converted to residential use.  That's a really big building and would come onto market sooner, which seems like it would pull the rug out from under another developer trying to put up a huge new tower.

I took ClutchCity's post as a tease, as if to goad Houstonians in to doing something faster out of competitive impulses against Dallas.

^Nate's the only one that understands me! I enjoyed the discussion that it sparked however and think that Houston is far more likely to get a supertall than Dallas. The only question is when that will be if it's this cycle or next! With all the rumors of big projects in downtown and even Uptown I definitely think we can get one soon though. :]

• 4 weeks later...

Talked to a Gensler architect today that mentioned working on a potential 65 story tower downtown. Sounded like they had signed an NDA though because just getting that much information was like pulling teeth! Regardless, the fact that there seems to be multiple 50+ story towers in the works in downtown and around the city has me excited for the tall things yet to come!

Talked to a Gensler architect today that mentioned working on a potential 65 story tower downtown. Sounded like they had signed an NDA though because just getting that much information was like pulling teeth! Regardless, the fact that there seems to be multiple 50+ story towers in the works in downtown and around the city has me excited for the tall things yet to come!

my buddies father seemed to be under the impression if he was a Gensler architect that it was likely a Hines project. what is the likelyhood that Hines has something even bigger up their sleeve for downtown than 609 Main? maybe theyll try to squeeze two large downtown office towers in during this boom.

Which downtown? The previous posts are all about Dallas hints the confusion.

Which downtown? The previous posts are all about Dallas hints the confusion.

I took it as the 65+ tower was for Houston, as is the entirety of this page's discussion. Maybe I missed the memo - but if it is about Dallas, it should have been moved to the appropriate thread.

• 2 months later...

I kinda doubt this. It has been tried before. Chase Tower was originally designed for more than its 75 stories but the FAA nixed that idea at the time. I think 75 is as tall as we are going to ever see in Houston.

I disagree, just not downtown. When a building was planned to be built in DT, next or close to the JP Morgan Tower, it was planned at or about 90 stories. The FAA argued that it would interrupt the flight plan to Hobby. The owners, Mayor, City Council and the Chicago-based architect chosen for its design, all fought the FAA. But, over and over again the FAA gave the same answer.

BUT, the FAA has absolutely no power to control heights of buildings where airports are less than 10 miles away. The FAA doesn't have the authority to tell owners how high a building can be.

But property owners near airports are supposed to apply to the FAA before construction for a determination on whether a proposed building or renovation presents a hazard to navigation. Erecting a building that the FAA says is a hazard is akin to building in a flood plain — insurance rates go up, mortgages are harder to get and property values decrease. Local zoning laws often don't permit construction of buildings determined to be an aviation hazard.

It's amazing how NYC (LaGuardia), CHICAGO (Midway) have hundreds (well, nearly) very near LaGuardia, have escaped this concern especially the new tower at the former site of the Trade Center Buildings, or the new tower in DT Chicago planned, I seem to recall, 2000+ feet. How would the 3000+ feet tall tower on Biscayne get by (I admit I can't recall where the Miami Airport is in relation to the end of any runway and Biscayne and if it's farther than 10 miles). Even so with a building THAT tall, the FAA's minimum distance "rule" may be as much as 30 miles or farther from the end of a runway.

But, think of 9/11, although deliberate, building owners might side with the FAA because their buildings would be greatly damaged, potential tenants would shy away from renting causing great loss of income since the top floors get top dollar in rental income, plus several other reasons. It's damned if you do and damned if you don't. Finally, financing could be nearly impossible not to mention cost of a lawsuit or even hundreds.

Unfortunately, today's airports (e.g. Denver's Stapleton, Dallas' DFW, Houston's IAH, etc., were built miles from the city to not interfere. Older, inner-city airports were built during the 30's mostly and 10 not to mention 15 miles out was practically out of town very far from an airport.

Unless an airport completely rearranges its runways, the FAA MIGHT HAVE FAR LESS SAY THAN PUBLIC OPINION, INSURANCE COMPANIES, JURIES AWARDING VERY HIGH DAMAGES TO INJURED PERSONS.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I kinda doubt this. It has been tried before. Chase Tower was originally designed for more than its 75 stories but the FAA nixed that idea at the time.  I think 75 is as tall as we are going to ever see in Houston.

bump

"The twin housing towers accommodate 500 units with extraordinary views over the Texas landscape.  From this height, not only is the vista of the dramatic sweep of the horizon an important view, but also the ship channel, the San Jacinto monument, Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico."

nativehoustonion said Urbanizer posted this project, but I hadn't seen Frank Keating's name associated with it on this forum yet after the Chronicle's recent allusion to this proposal.

• 1 year later...

I think it is way past time that Houston should have a supertall 100 story plus skyscraper.  There are no restrictions (urban myths) and all that is needed are willing tenants and a developer with tons of capital.  Shouldn't be too hard to do in this ultra rich energy based town.  Just my humble opinion.

What was the last privately built "supertall" built in the US apart from Trump's hotel in Chicago (if that counts)? 

I had thought that the bonus value for a supertall was restricted to personal vanity. I'm not sure how many parking lots on the East side of DT you could take out for the price of the top 50 floors of a 102 story tower, but it's probably more than one.

2 hours ago, Nate99 said:

What was the last privately built "supertall" built in the US apart from Trump's hotel in Chicago (if that counts)? 

I had thought that the bonus value for a supertall was restricted to personal vanity. I'm not sure how many parking lots on the East side of DT you could take out for the price of the top 50 floors of a 102 story tower, but it's probably more than one.

Elaborate on Private? Like no stock holders involved or a share holder corporation? Then the answer is never. 

Edit: Do you mean a super tall that was not built on Speculation?

7 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Elaborate on Private? Like no stock holders involved or a share holder corporation? Then the answer is never. 

Edit: Do you mean a super tall that was not built on Speculation?

I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of conditions have to exist these days for someone to build one with private (non-governmental entity) money (investors, banks, corporations, etc.). The only example that came to mind was the new One World Trade Center, which is owned by the Port Authority, IIRC.

I suppose that 432 Park would count, though NYC residential construction economics are probably not something we'll be replicating here any time soon.

Why build a single 100+ story building when you can build several 50 story buildings for less money. Going higher costs more per floor. And, Houston hasn't hit the density that makes su per tall buildings economic

2 hours ago, Ross said:

Why build a single 100+ story building when you can build several 50 story buildings for less money. Going higher costs more per floor. And, Houston hasn't hit the density that makes su per tall buildings economic

Not only that but I would rather have five 20 story buildings that take out five parking lot blocks than one 100 story that takes out one block

• The title was changed to 102-Story Tower Planned?
  • The title was changed to 102-Story Tower Planned

Archived