Spaceport Houston Developments

trymahjong

This project (the spaceport in general) doesnt pass my sniff test. There's clearly a future for private ventures into space, but right now the economic of space flights appear to break down into 3 groups. 

1.) Governments, Spycraft, Defense, scientific research. 

2.) Telecommunications 

3.) Stupidly Rich Tourists. 

To me, Private companies are mostly going after contracts in the 1 and 2 categories. Is there any indications that there's sufficient demand to build a spaceport, much less in Houston?  I dont know... convince me I'm wrong. I'm a Star Trek fan, so I want to like this, but call me a healthy skeptic. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Toopicky said:

Wow, that is hardly "ground breaking" news .... this site work is necessary for just about any type of modern development, and the lab and office space could be used by almost any  company.

So is East River building infrastructure not "ground breaking" news? Just because it happens in all projects doesn't mean its not momentous or "ground breaking". All things have humble beginnings and this is just that, the beginning. These things don't just happen over night, and if you were in the industry you would know this. I'm currently working on a project that isn't the greatest of all time, and in fact to many would seem very mundane, but because I've been on it now for a year, and it still is slogging through the design process I'll be relieved when it breaks ground. I can't even imagine the prep work, the bureaucracy, and negotiating it took to even make this happen in the first place. This is a big deal even if its just roads. Where roads are laid is where the people will go. They even say it in the article itself. Just building the infrastructure will be the first step into making this more possible than ever before because of how expensive a barrier to entry laying out infrastructure can be. They aren't thinking about right now. They are thinking about the future, and that is how they will pitch this to everyone. Its just roads now, but think about what the future will hold. Lots of possibilities.

14 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

This project (the spaceport in general) doesnt pass my sniff test. There's clearly a future for private ventures into space, but right now the economic of space flights appear to break down into 3 groups. 

2.) Telecommunications 

To me, Private companies are mostly going after contracts in the 1 and 2 categories. Is there any indications that there's sufficient demand to build a spaceport, much less in Houston?  I dont know... convince me I'm wrong. I'm a Star Trek fan, so I want to like this, but call me a healthy skeptic. 

I'm in the same boat. Not because of this project, but because of where we are at as a country today. People are just to focused on the numerous wicked problems we have in culture, the economy, and in government to really even consider anything beyond. Going to space is something that will have to be a priority in this country again if we really want to go further ahead, and the national consciousness is just nowhere near there. Its why though I like guys like Elon Musk. He doesn't care about any of that. He has a dream and is going to do it no matter what. As long as there is that one person who is that daring then eventually others will take notice. If he can send a Tesla into space just for fun then the possibilities are endless with that guy. Even with that being said the argument of national consciousness is a real thing that can not be ignored. We aren't in the 60's where people were inspired by the moon landings which made everyone want to be astronauts or scientists or engineers. Today everyone wants to be a youtube star, or be famous. Not like they are bad things, but these don't get us closer to the stars, or build a nation to get to that Star Trek dream. Your healthy skepticism is valid, but I wouldn't place it on the development itself, but the trend, and outside forces its trying to go against.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

2.) Telecommunications 

You are correct about spaceports in general. Last year Wired had an interesting article about the boom and bust of spaceports in general. https://www.wired.com/story/americas-spaceport-boom-is-outpacing-the-need-to-go-to-space/?CNDID=13660475&mbid=nl_090518_daily_list3_p4

Essentially, there is an oversupply of spaceports in the US. And it is correct to question the need for Houston's Spaceport, especially when the airport system could use funds for sooo many other projects. I'm afraid we may have another Bayport Cruise Terminal fiasco on our hands. 

At this point, we have the FAA horizonal license, so I am all for utilizing it. However, I'm not sure why we need to spend so much money on capital costs for a port without tenants. IMO, the best play (in Houston) of the three options above is number three. Stupidly rich tourists. You don't need any new construction. Just market Space Center Houston as the "terminal" and have the tourists ride in one those silver Airstreams to the runway at Ellington. It's marketing gold for the city. But of course we will not take advantage of it. We don't need a bunch of tenants at the port. We just need -one- to operate the space tourism flights. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, bobruss said:

After reading your responses in several different posts, I'd have to say that your moniker is very appropriate.

By this persons metric I'm sure this person is the same kind of person who would claim TCR isn't a railroad because they don't have a functioning railroad yet. Its the most faulty logic ever. It essentially is based on the premise that a person can mind-read or know the future before it happens which is impossible. Its like saying I can't be in architecture because I'm not licensed. There is saying that you are doing it. Then putting it into practice (where I'm at). Then certifying or accrediting the result of all the previous. NASA and SpaceX were space organizations before they ever put anything into space. Again, this makes zero sense when you think beyond the present or what you can see in front of you.

10 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

"Never assume, because when you assume you make an ASS out of U and ME" quote from Jerry Belson

One assumes when evidence is not presented. One infers when evidence is presented. I can infer through the statements which you have presented and through logical reasoning that this is a likely thing which you might do along with evidence of others who have done so in the past. Therefore I do not have to assume anything and therefore this statement isn't valid to this current context.

...Oh and also simply quoting someone isn't an argument, or know what it means.

I can probably teach a parrot to recite this quote, but that doesn't mean it understands what its saying.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toopicky said:

Why call a Ellington a "Spaceport" when there are no flights into/out of  space from it? In fact, there are not even any facilities there, but only a few nifty PowerPoint shows and a few pieces of paper ..... that is called "Hopeium" in my vernacular.  Call Ellington what it is, an airport, until they actually get a contract for space travel.

The City has (and is annually maintaining) a spaceport operating license from the federal government.

That said, there is no "Ellington Spaceport," there is a "Houston Spaceport," which is a really a real estate development, at "Ellington Airport."

4 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on Spaceport Houston from Houston Chronicle yesterday:

The Houston Spaceport has inked a deal with pilot training company FlightSafety International, the third tenant of what the Houston Airport System hopes will become a cluster of aerospace companies.

Houston City Council approved a 30-year lease, with the option for two additional five-year periods, for an aeronautical training facility at the Houston Spaceport at Ellington Airport. New York-based FlightSafety International is seeking to relocate and expand its current operations near Hobby Airport.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/bizfeed/article/Houston-Spaceport-inks-deal-with-its-third-tenant-14461004.php

Spin for poaching from existing tenants (at HOU) and adding a company with no existing ties to the space industry.

• 4 months later...

Went to check out the progress on the Spaceport. Still lots of civil work going on. Safe to say that we won't need to visit this site for a little while longer, maybe another 6 months or so. Hopefully by then they'll get some of the roads done.

Mm8gcQd.jpg

A16uOAX.jpg

• Like 9

On 9/24/2019 at 11:21 AM, Naviguessor said:

Maybe it's because Ellington IS a Licensed Spaceport. 

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=19074

QTE from FAA Site:

Spaceports

• The FAA licenses commercial launch and reentry sites in the United States. The following are FAA currently licensed launch sites:
    – California Spaceport, CA
    – Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, FL
    – Cape Canaveral Spaceport/Shuttle Landing Facility, FL
    – Cecil Field, FL
    – Colorado Air & Space Port, CO
    – Ellington Airport, TX
    – Midland International Airport, TX
    – Mojave Air and Space Port, CA
    Oklahoma Air and Space Ports, OK
    – Pacific Spaceport Complex Alaska, AK
    – Spaceport America, NM
    – Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport, VA

The Oklahoma site is near the great town of Burns Flat, Oklahoma. A thriving metropolis of about 2,000 people. The only real attraction there is the Clinton Sherman Airpark, which has a 13,503 foot runway, built by the USAF decades ago. It was an alternate landing site for the Space shuttle. A friend's parents were from there, and I was shocked when I looked at it on a map, and saw how small the town is.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/development/2020/02/26/houston-city-council-grants-spaceport-development-extra-375-million/

Due to an unforeseen electrical power distribution cost and the need for the creation of a sign, an extra $3.75 million will fund the development of the Houston Spaceport after Houston City Council’s vote Feb. 26.

According to a memo from the city, changes in the power distribution route and added transformer work created unexpected additional costs to supply the spaceport, which is still under development, with its planned 10 megawatts of power. As a result, the energy budget for the project had to increase by $2.8 million.

Additionally, about $934,000 is needed to create and install a Houston Space monument sign, similar to the ones at the George Bush Intercontinental, William Hobby and Ellington airports, according to the memo.

Finally, about $16,000 will go toward Houston’s Civic Art Program. Since 1999, 1.75% of the budget for city-funded construction projects has gone toward projects to integrate artwork in Houston’s public spaces.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Yeah, the sign price I actually think sounds about normal for what I would expect fom IAH and HOU Signs. My smirk is more of a, "why spend a million dollars of tax-payer dollars on a sign". I'm being a bit of a debbie downer on this one, sorry. 

Its really more like...we gotta build this giant new awesome spaceport...but wait! We can't do this without a proper marquee sign!

Its just a bit ridiculous.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
59 minutes ago, texan said:

I'm so sorry for seemingly spamming this thread but this is my industry area (which I'm obsessively passionate about) and I think I'm bringing new information in each time. Let me know if I should post less!

From the Community Impact, a map of the new developments at the Houston Spaceport. That third anchor tenant could be announced next month! In January, Intuitive Machines, a smaller company already at the spaceport will send it's NOVA-C lander to the surface of the moon.

image.thumb.png.61163126279cb3074206783447ed8c23.png

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/development/2021/05/22/the-future-of-space-city-houston-spaceport-growing-as-officials-draw-attention-to-industry/

Additionally, a space-focused economic development organization, TexSpace, has been founded to help bring more space companies to the Galveston Bay Area. Hopefully they are successful and lead to a lot of redevelopment in the Clear Lake area (maybe even some urbanization???).

https://www.texspace.org

A small company called Venus Aerospace is relocating to the spaceport from California. Their goal is to design and build a hypersonic aircraft traveling at Mach 12.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/impacts/2021/05/07/impacts-roundup-spaceplane-developer-coming-to-clear-lake-and-more-aerospace-news/

Lastly, the new NASA administrator, former Senator Bill Nelson, this week began lobbying Congress for $11 billion out of the infrastructure bill. Of this, $5.4 billion would go to construction and renovation projects at NASA field centers. I expect Johnson Space Center to be a big winner as it is one of the largest and most important NASA field centers and has quite a few asbestos-filled, aging buildings. So stay tuned on that, if the bill passes, hopefully we see quite a bit of construction and renovation at JSC in the next few years.

https://spacenews.com/nelson-uses-chinese-mars-landing-as-a-warning-to-congress/

Great news!!! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...