Retail At 1000 West Gray St.

HoustonMidtown

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a variance sign on that building yesterday. And the paint store is moving too, so that's all the tenants.

Variance:

"Braun Subdivision

Purpose of the variance request Chapter 42 Division 3 Building Line(s) and visibility triangle(s).

Proposed land use for the site: Commercial Use"

hearing 7/25 at 2:30

• Like 1

Here is some more information:

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/the-deal-sheetmay6/

Braun Enterprises acquired 1000 West Gray, snagging its fourth Inner Loop retail project. This deal takes a prize for persistence: Braun has been trying to purchase the corner for seven years.

Prez Dan Braun (here speaking at a Bisnow State of the Market event) tells us the deal finally closed off-market. His firm will extensively rehab the 12k SF shopping center to enhance curb appeal, provide better visibility, and increase parking. Marcus & Millichap's Derek Hargrove and Justin Miller repped the seller. And keep your eyes peeled: Dan tells us he's closing on another Inner Loop hard corner retail center this week in the Heights.

Also a rendering:

http://braunenterprises.com/?q=Property/PropertyDetail&id=e21175f9-1fdc-6014-7190-51bb41fe3806

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 3

Chron.Com reported earlier that a pizza joint out in West Houston is planning their 2nd location in Houston. The owner wouldn't say where other than somewhere ON Montrose... Connect the dots?

The "For Lease" signs on the old Blockbuster at Westheimer and Montrose have been removed. Maybe here?

They should really gut that strip center. That's prime real estate. A mini CityCentre would fit that area.

I agree, I cant wait for that property to be redeveloped. I just hope it wont be a 5 story apartment building, unless it is above retail or commercial. Mixed use would be great on that site, especially it had some height to it. The views would be amazing. 

I agree, I cant wait for that property to be redeveloped. I just hope it wont be a 5 story apartment building, unless it is above retail or commercial. Mixed use would be great on that site, especially it had some height to it. The views would be amazing.

PMRG purchased that site so there's little reason to believe they'll do anything too underwhelming... Mixed use mid rise seems likely.

PMRG purchased that site so there's little reason to believe they'll do anything too underwhelming... Mixed use mid rise seems likely.

When I heard at the January Neartown meeting, Kirk Baxter's presentation concerning a Memorial for Mary's Bar-------Kirk said he had approached the owners (Wetheimer and Montrose property) and gave his presentation, asking if the memorial might be built on the SE corner of Yoakum and Westheimer. He said the owners were receptive, and he thought it would be mixed use development, mentioning that the plans had already been shown to Mayor Parker.

• 2 weeks later...

2-4 floors of parking would solve a lot of hassle at the Montrose/Westheimer intersection; i hope that's part of the plan. Very pleased to see that old eyesore be replaced by midrise. But back to W. Gray. The whole property will be pizza? Seems a  waste. Does anyone know about the Shaw's people? I've heard gossip that they own  both sides of w. Gray and built the new store so they could ultimately sell the other lot for midrise development.

Of course I've also heard it's all money laundering. Sources at barnaby's  were still hungover and declined to confirm or deny.

2-4 floors of parking would solve a lot of hassle at the Montrose/Westheimer intersection; i hope that's part of the plan. Very pleased to see that old eyesore be replaced by midrise. But back to W. Gray. The whole property will be pizza? Seems a waste. Does anyone know about the Shaw's people? I've heard gossip that they own both sides of w. Gray and built the new store so they could ultimately sell the other lot for midrise development.

Of course I've also heard it's all money laundering. Sources at barnaby's were still hungover and declined to confirm or deny.

Well since it is being remodeled and not being developed into a midrise, sounds like just gossip.

Passed this intersection today. The reno on this building will be a huge improvement. I wish the plan to improve Montrose blvd from Allen Pkwy to Binz were going forward.

Passed this intersection today. The reno on this building will be a huge improvement. I wish the plan to improve Montrose blvd from Allen Pkwy to Binz were going forward.

2-4 floors of parking would solve a lot of hassle at the Montrose/Westheimer intersection; i hope that's part of the plan. Very pleased to see that old eyesore be replaced by midrise. But back to W. Gray. The whole property will be pizza? Seems a  waste. Does anyone know about the Shaw's people? I've heard gossip that they own  both sides of w. Gray and built the new store so they could ultimately sell the other lot for midrise development.

Of course I've also heard it's all money laundering. Sources at barnaby's  were still hungover and declined to confirm or deny.

No.  The whole property will not be pizza.  (But even if it were, why would that be a bad thing, or a waste?  Sheesh, people.)

• 2 weeks later...

Someone in the neighborhood sent out a notice trying to gather support against the Variance request. They are stating that the request to not maintain a visibility triangle poses a danger to pedestrians and cyclists. Given the visibility concern is for the NE corner of crossing two-way streets, there may be some concern of cars creeping up, but they should always be looking left for northbound traffic. If a biker is coming southbound they're at fault anyways. I guess if they build to the extreme corner there may be some concern for joggers but I just don't see it.

The letter (no source identified) states:

"The applicant intends to retain the front and side walls and demolish the rest of the building- our concern is that the visibility triangle will not be addressed to improve the safety of pedestrians and cyclists in the future."