Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Interesting rumor, but wouldn't that leave Jones Hall without a tenant?

No.  Jones Hall is also the home of Society for the Performing Arts (SPA).  I think both they and the Symphony have more performances than ever.  Plus there are other traveling groups and occasional (non-resident) groups that perform in the hall.  My understanding is that we have again reached the point where performance space is very tightly scheduled in the Theater District and we could use some more.

• Like 6

That would be a real shame. It's the only venue I actually like.

if its true hopefully it leads to the construction of a second venue that you like (you don't like the Ballet Center? for some reason i love that addition, though I've never actually been IN it).

i may have to mention this to one of the people working for Houston First and see what they have to say.

if its true hopefully it leads to the construction of a second venue that you like (you don't like the Ballet Center? for some reason i love that addition, though I've never actually been IN it).

i may have to mention this to one of the people working for Houston First and see what they have to say.

It would have been nice to have it on the Lyric Center block, leaving the current block open to some residential tower that would have connectivity to the trails/parks along the bayou. But I guess that leaves both half blocks open for development.

• Like 1

It would have been nice to have it on the Lyric Center block, leaving the current block open to some residential tower that would have connectivity to the trails/parks along the bayou. But I guess that leaves both half blocks open for development.

woah. not sure what you're referring to, but I'm digging it. I've been working on my first ever sketch up for the last week or so and its for a downtown property, directly linking into the bayou trails/park system. I'm all for more pedestrian connectivity like that.

which current block? yeah i agree a low rise theater expansion would be better on the Lyric Center block, since there is already a tower on it that would block views of another tower.

This cycle has taken up at least 16 parking lots in the C.B.D. How many does that leave? It will be a few years to absorb this cycle so at that rate I'd say 50 years. Remember this was a huge growth cycle. The last one occurred almost 40 years ago, which is hard to believe.

I thend to agree. I would say 2 generations....... 40 years-ish even with another boom cycle in there.

Could be 30. Could be 50. But it ain't 5.

Careful guys and girls, we've got an internet tough guy here. 

Or perhaps a very angry bot. The complaint is so non-specific and placed in a discussion that really wasn't that controversial to begin with that it might just be a lost program lookin' for love (or hate as it were).

Or perhaps a very angry bot. The complaint is so non-specific and placed in a discussion that really wasn't that controversial to begin with that it might just be a lost program lookin' for love (or hate as it were).

Edit:

Perhaps they were just so excited to see updates on this project and instead find us all speculating and talking nonsense. I do enjoy the speculation and nonsense. That's what really makes this a forum and not a wiki.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

That's pretty crazy that we have the technology and basic human understanding to creat something like that.

I think it would be quite an accomplishment to max out all the blocks inside the freeways. But that would lead to questions about which direction to expand next. As it is, Midtown may be all filled up with six-story wraps.

That would be a great problem to have, but we're a long, *long* way from that. There's still plenty of vacant land is Midtown, for one thing.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 1

I think it would be quite an accomplishment to max out all the blocks inside the freeways. But that would lead to questions about which direction to expand next. As it is, Midtown may be all filled up with six-story wraps.

I think main is going to be well developed from buffalo bayou down to brays bayou. Midtown still has tons of space. I see west of main being solidly dense in the coming decade's but east of main being dense in patches. Dunno why the area around hcc isn't more active

• Like 1

You'd think the area close to Herman Park and the Museum district where Hines is building the Southmore, would be ground zero for high rise multi family living.

With its proximity to both downtown, the Med center, Herman Park, and Rice University, along with its proximity to the rail,

I'm surprised that more hasn't been done there. Some day all of that land is going to be untouchable.

• Like 4

any way to get something like a break down of construction costs for either this or Market Square Tower? where would one look for that type of info?

Construction companies aren't going to easily divulge that information to their competition for private ventures like this. Labor rates, Material costs, and productivity rates vary between companies, and the last thing you'd want is for your competitor to undercut you in an open bid. That beings said, while you may not be able to find specific cost estimates for skyscrapers going up now. You might be able to find some on older and perhaps more famous structures around the world. 

• Like 1

You guys are being pretentious A-holes.

international tower would easily be a monumental tower.

U74SoDa.jpg

by far would be the most influential tower built downtown in the last 25 years

hyena-laugh-o.gif

All of the examples you have are of classic architecture. Houston is Uber modern. A modern city can't be defined by an eiffle tower or a gateway arch.

If anything, a city like houston will be defined by a huge shiny glass box. International tower fits they bill perfectly.

Uber modern???? Uber modern???????? There is no such thing as uber modern *facepalms*

So a building has a slight parabolic curve up the side that in no way influences the actual architecture of the building its merely a facade treatment and you go bananas about it? OMG it's not completely square.....revolutionary!

And no the buildings that were listed above were not "classical". If you are going to argue architecture then at least read a book first and understand what you are saying. You are welcomed to love this building and think it's the greatest thing since the Penzoil Building, but understand that your opinion is in the same field of fire as everyone else and so prepare for criticism especially in an architecture forum where we are all interpreting art which is 100% subjective! However if you aren't able to both properly and reasonably defend your opinion I won't have any sympathy for you.

Houston btw isn't influenced by the "glass box". It's defined by the age of curtain wall construction. the "glass box" is a watered down commercial representation of this trend. It's not special to Houston and it's not special to anywhere else. The point of the curtain wall/ all glass systems was to shake off ornamentation creating an architecture that could be anywhere in the world which was a highlight of the international style which isn't special to Houston we merely took it and ran with it for a time. Besides many of Houstons landmark buildings in the skyline are not even Modern at all, but Post-Modern which is an entirely different sensibility than the "glass-box" you are trying to stuff Houston into.

Is the international tower a nicely designed building.....I don't know why don't we discuss that in the International Tower thread, maybe?

In conclusion, before throwing out words like "pretentious", maybe go do a study of what you are trying to defend and try to not let your single love forever in holy matrimony for this building cloud your argument for it. 

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...