Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Thanks for the update SWTSIG. I was hoping that the Market Square would be a go. I know they are working on the Southmore

right now.

So we have under construction the following high rise units:

Catalyst 

The Hanover on Hawthorne and Montrose

The Chelsea high rise,

the 40 story Market Square, 

The Sky House River Oaks

The Southampton

Belfiore

Astoria

40 story at Weslayan and West Alabama

and the possibility of the following:

Hanover Kirby at Steele

Med center Main at Holcombe

Hines Market Square

Sky House 3 downtown

Marlowe

and just finished:

Hanover Post Oak 

Sky House 1

Ziegler Cooper on West Dallas near Dunlavy

Not shabby for a growth spurt.

• Like 3

I first read the Southmore thread today. I certainly am no expert on the subject, but I doubt there is one future resident who will give a flying flip about being an architectural masterpiece on the outside. It's about location and it's about price. I was surprised by the number of negative comments concerning the renderings. 

I'm referring to Southmore.

Edited by arbpro

I first read the Southmore thread today. I certainly am no expert on the subject, but I doubt there is one future resident who will give a flying flip about being an architectural masterpiece on the outside. It's about location and it's about price. I was surprised by the number of negative comments concerning the renderings. 

I'm referring to Southmore.

There is a thread for Southmore. But it might be worth pointing out that if residents didn't care about how a building looks on the outside, these would all look like concrete communist bloc buildings, because it would save money.

• Like 2

There is a thread for Southmore. But it might be worth pointing out that if residents didn't care about how a building looks on the outside, these would all look like concrete communist bloc buildings, because it would save money.

I said "architectural masterpiece." There is a lot of room between a "communist block building" and what many seek in an "architectural masterpiece." You don't seriously maintain that the Southmore renderings are the equivalent of a "communist bloc building" do you? Like I said, I doubt there will be one prospective resident who will look at the facade of Southmore and say, "I won't live here because of the way it looks." 

Edited by arbpro

I said "architectural masterpiece." There is a lot of room between a "communist block building" and what many seek in an "architectural masterpiece." You don't seriously maintain that the Southmore renderings are the equivalent of a "communist bloc building" do you? Like I said, I doubt there will be one prospective resident who will look at the facade of Southmore and say, "I won't live here because of the way it looks."

You said "it's about location and it's about price." I contend it's also about how the building looks, inside and out. Did anyone actually say it had to be an "architectural masterpiece," or were they merely criticizing its looks?

• Like 1

Hate to see this one delayed, out of all the ones that got started last year. If they are waiting for oil prices to swing upward, that could be awhile.

I think they may be waiting for the market to adjust to the new bounds for oil prices. Stability will allow all the projects to proceed. Especially if prices stabilize around $60 a barrel.

But it might be worth pointing out that if residents didn't care about how a building looks on the outside, these would all look like concrete communist bloc buildings, because it would save money.

Isn't that called Brutalist?  IIRC, it was quite the thing in the late 60s and into the 70s.

You said "it's about location and it's about price." I contend it's also about how the building looks, inside and out. Did anyone actually say it had to be an "architectural masterpiece," or were they merely criticizing its looks?

Then you are arguing you know more about what the potential customers want than Hines. I seriously doubt that. It's his money, his reputation, his future. And your skin in the issue is what?

Thanks for the update SWTSIG. I was hoping that the Market Square would be a go. I know they are working on the Southmore

right now.

So we have under construction the following high rise units:

Catalyst

The Hanover on Hawthorne and Montrose

The Chelsea high rise,

the 40 story Market Square,

The Sky House River Oaks

The Southampton

Belfiore

Astoria

40 story at Weslayan and West Alabama

and the possibility of the following:

Hanover Kirby at Steele

Med center Main at Holcombe

Hines Market Square

Sky House 3 downtown

Marlowe

and just finished:

Hanover Post Oak

Sky House 1

Ziegler Cooper on West Dallas near Dunlavy

Not shabby for a growth spurt.

Yes, great insight from swtsig. Bob, there is a lot more than the list you provided. And it has been tremendous growth. Very very exciting to see.

Then you are arguing you know more about what the potential customers want than Hines. I seriously doubt that. It's his money, his reputation, his future. And your skin in the issue is what?

It's an architecture forum. We discuss architecture here. My skin in the issue is: I like architecture.

Btw, where did I criticize anything that Hines did? I've had nothing but positive comments about the building on this thread, and all I ever said about Southmore was that the architecture wasn't anything unique or special. I'm sure Hines will profit from both - good for them.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 1

This is a close-up of the retail sales brochure for Frank's Pizza Tower.  Notice the pocket park extending to Main (very cool).  Do you think that the Barringer Building (Clutch City Square) is not shown because of the height of the State National Building, or is this notice that they plan to tear it down?

15904525057_efed43e2b8_z.jpgFrank's Pizza Tower Retail Map by differentryana, on Flickr

• Like 2

Hines is talking about putting a pocket park in their montrose hotel/apt project as well.

If memory serves, that comports with the proposed demolition of the Richmont Square apartments and the plan for the Menil Expansion. I think lockmat posted the plan awhile back in that thread, but the images are not readily available. Glad to hear Hines will be the one behind the redevelopment of the Menil area.

If memory serves, that comports with the proposed demolition of the Richmont Square apartments and the plan for the Menil Expansion. I think lockmat posted the plan awhile back in that thread, but the images are not readily available. Glad to hear Hines will be the one behind the redevelopment of the Menil area.

Different project. I'm uncertain as to the status of Hines' menil project.