Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Soil samples for foundation design is my initial guess. You need lateral capacity, bearing capacity, shearing force of the soils--- etc..The Engineers will then design a foundation system for the structure based on soil values, water table, liveload and dead load values from high rise. These values would have been likely gathered very early in the design phase.

That being said, 20 holes seems grossly excessive given the area. I'm not too familiar with the requirements for the environmental impact studies for skyscraper construction. If I remember correctly, the phase II environmental impact studies do involve a lot soil testing as H-town man alluded too earlier in the threat. 

In any case, I would imagine that they will be digging out to a level well below anything else that was in the vicinity, but keeping the buildings that will remain on the block from being impacted by excavating around and very near their foundations is probably fairly delicate work. 

This was one of the claims in the Ashby High Rise case that actually got some traction - though as with almost any other engineering issue, it can be handled.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the "hills"... my focus on that rendering was on the blumpy/fuzzy lighted buildings elsewhere.  Never a good sign when the building you are trying to pop-out is the second or even third thing you notice.  Ziegler probably paid some Turkish or Chinese foreign rendering company a LOT of money for those too.

I just looked out the window and saw no activity, not even soil sampling.

Don't worry guys - they have to get organized to construct. tons of things need to be done before they can start...

I thought this was going to be 30+ stories... was it always supposed to be only 24?

Hmmm really curious who is doing this new Hollywood Hills development thats apparently in the background. For years we have had very little to zero changes in elevation. pfffft thats so last century why not build our own xD !

I'm surprised no one has complained yet that all the beautiful young people in the renderings appear to be light-skinned Caucasians.  As a geezer-in-training, I could complain that they are all young with great bodies.  But, I won't.  :-)

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has complained yet that all the beautiful young people in the renderings appear to be light-skinned Caucasians. As a geezer-in-training, I could complain that they are all young with great bodies. But, I won't. :-)

Good point. Expect our "community leaders" to stage a protest soon.

• Like 2

I wish international tower was going up along with the two MS residential towers.

Just wishful thinking and wanting everything to be completed at the same time.

Yeah, i feel the same way.  I am not in the business, but I have to wonder how many of these projects don't happen because the developers can't get financing.  From years of watching Houston real estate development  -- albeit not being directly involved most of the time -- it has always struck me the these projects are usually subject to the whims of lenders from other places.  While I'm sure there were lenders who lost their shirts providing financing here in  the 80's, I think there are a lot more who have missed opportunities to grow their money here since then.

• 4 weeks later...