Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

1 hour ago, DrLan34 said:

The unit in the video is about $3,250/month if I remember correctly (2-2). That is effective rent after their current move in special (3 months free on a 13 month lease).

Also, if you sign before June 1st, you get an additional $1,000 off for the entire lease (about $75/month).

Floors 10-16 will be open by about June 15th. Amenities on 9 as previously stated. 

Those are some crazy concessions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, htownproud said:

Also 1100 Louisiana (Enterprise)

Your absolutely right. I thought there was one more but wasn't sure if it was 1100 louisiana or Tenneco,

both designed by SOM. As a matter of fact that whole section of town is nicknamed Skid Row because they were all designed by Skidmore Owings and Merril: 

Alled Bank now Wells Fargo, 

Tenneco now Kinder

1100 Louisiana

Shell 1

Shell 2

• Like 1

22 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Those are some crazy concessions.

Works out to $2450/mo, which, after 13 months, kicks up to $3250, which is more than PITI on a $500,000 house.

I understand the strategy of offering free rent instead of just lowering the rate to $2450: no one values the apartment more than the person living in it (there are costs associated with moving). But I wonder how many people move out after the lease is up.

I wonder if you can negotiate a diplomatic clause into one of those leases.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angostura said:

Works out to $2450/mo, which, after 13 months, kicks up to $3250, which is more than PITI on a $500,000 house.

I understand the strategy of offering free rent instead of just lowering the rate to $2450: no one values the apartment more than the person living in it (there are costs associated with moving). But I wonder how many people move out after the lease is up.

I wonder if you can negotiate a diplomatic clause into one of those leases.

As I understand, free rent is preferred over lowered rent because (1) it is easier to make someone renew at the same rate they have been paying, and (2) since sale price is typically a function of operating income, you want your operating income to be as high as possible down the road, even if that means taking a loss for a few months near-term.

This may be what you had in mind, I just didn't quite understand your explanation.

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

As I understand, free rent is preferred over lowered rent because (1) it is easier to make someone renew at the same rate they have been paying, and (2) since sale price is typically a function of operating income, you want your operating income to be as high as possible down the road, even if that means taking a loss for a few months near-term.

This may be what you had in mind, I just didn't quite understand your explanation.

I spoke with my girlfriend that sets rent pricing(not Houston market). She said "Under ideal situations you offer concessions(free rent) before a sale.  In the Houston market it's probably due to rent projections during funding and matching what the competition is doing."

• Like 1

I was imagining that the area between all the office buildings and the baseball stadium would never fill in, but it's done now.

There's still some really great lots that are just surface lots that will go very quickly in the next round of action.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 9:08 AM, Houston19514 said:

WTF?  Who is this watergonzalez and why is he recording and broadcasting what is clearly false information?  As Dr. Lan said, the unit in the video is closer to $3250 per month.  There is not a unit of any size in the building for which they are asking $13,000 per month, let alone $20,000.  (The most expensive unit I can find is a 3 bed/3 bath on the 32nd floor (larger and higher than the unit in the video) for which they are asking $9,400 per month.  Expensive, yes.  $13-20,000 per month for a mid-level 2 bed/2 bath?  NFW.

Yeah, thats horrible misinformation. I'm surprised the one 3/3 unit came in at $9,400 a month. When that was talked about during development they were talking between $7-$8k/month. Guess they think they can fill it. In their defense it is the only unit like that and its got a damn nice view and tons of private patio space.

• Like 4

Stupid question: is this park going to be open for the public?

On a related note, the empty lot next to the Holiday Inn downtown (where the demolished Savoy building was) was originally rumored to be a park, but it's just fenced off.  I saw some people in there though measuring

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cspwal said:

On a related note, the empty lot next to the Holiday Inn downtown (where the demolished Savoy building was) was originally rumored to be a park, but it's just fenced off.  I saw some people in there though measuring

Not a stupid question at all.  I don't think we really know.  At least at one point there was some information suggesting it would be primarily outdoor dining space for a ground floor restaurant.

• Like 1

From the web site advertising the available retail space:

Additionally, there will be a 4,200 SF “pocket park” for that will open out onto Main street, which will offer restaurant patrons an exceptional urban restaurant experience.

On the other hand, the Aris residential website also includes a "private park with direct access to Metro Rail" on their list of amenities.  It may end up depending on the response they get from potential restaurant tenants.  And I suppose there is no reason it can't be both a "private park" (in developer-speak) and  al fresco restaurant dining space.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Its a small space with cinderblock walls (bricked over) along Main Street with 3 openings that I presume will house metalwork fencing and a gate. Unfortunately with the homeless problem downtown, they probably had to do this to keep the riff raff out.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

From the web site advertising the available retail space:

Additionally, there will be a 4,200 SF “pocket park” for that will open out onto Main street, which will offer restaurant patrons an exceptional urban restaurant experience.

On the other hand, the Aris residential website also includes a "private park with direct access to Metro Rail" on their list of amenities.  It may end up depending on the response they get from potential restaurant tenants.  And I suppose there is no reason it can't be both a "private park" (in developer-speak) and  al fresco restaurant dining space.

"Private park" doesn't necessarily mean closed to the public.  The little space on the NW corner of what is now becoming the Capitol Tower lobby had a little plaque mentioning that it was a private park, but it had no physical barriers to entry.  

• Like 2

The ground level accommodates retail space, the residential lobby, and a private pocket park courtyard space, which will be accessible from both the residential lobby and from the adjacent ground-floor retail space for outdoor dining.

May not be open to the public. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mollusk said:

"Private park" doesn't necessarily mean closed to the public.  The little space on the NW corner of what is now becoming the Capitol Tower lobby had a little plaque mentioning that it was a private park, but it had no physical barriers to entry.  

I don't see why they would go through the effort of constructing the cinderblock walls if they didn't plan on putting a gate there. Maybe Amashgo can chime in, but I would say they're going to fill in the gap with a keypad gate type set up. Otherwise, the wall is just one more place for homeless people to make shelter behind, and would unnecessarily confine the already small space.

34803767660_665767f047_b.jpg

• Like 5

Private Pocket Park, the good ole triple P.

If I were a restaurant, I don't think I'd want the patio I'm using for dining to be an entry/exit, but then I guess that might be mixed into the lease cost, and having a walled garden sheltering my dinner guests would be a plus.

I'm thinking about Market Square Bar and Grill (right next to treebeards). There's a courtyard behind their space, it's very nice and cozy, I think they can do more with it, but it's still great.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cloud713 said:

I don't see why they would go through the effort of constructing the cinderblock walls if they didn't plan on putting a gate there. Maybe Amashgo can chime in, but I would say they're going to fill in the gap with a keypad gate type set up. Otherwise, the wall is just one more place for homeless people to make shelter behind, and would unnecessarily confine the already small space.

34803767660_665767f047_b.jpg

It'll be a taste of the Houston suburbs, right on Main Street downtown...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It'll be a taste of the Houston suburbs, right on Main Street downtown...

Haha. Sadly, that's not even exclusively

to the suburbs in Houston. Unfortunately the walled off/fenced nonsense is as close in as Midtown.. "Let's build a bunch of townhouses in the inner city.. while we're at it, let's throw a fence around the whole site!"

edited to say I totally understand why Hines is doing that. This would be a great nook for homeless to set up camp. Until the city gets more serious about the homeless issue in Houston, expect to keep seeing this in high end residential projects.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Sheesh, I love this project, but is any aspect of it not subsidized? Maybe the gated park...

Unless I'm losing count, this would be the third "food hall" in a 3-ish block radius (lyric garage and the one below Prohibition being the other two). That's a lot of "catalyst" to get the intended reaction up to critical.