Hilton Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites Hotels At 710 Crawford St.

Houston19514

• 2 weeks later...

thats not a eye sore? Lmao jesus we have the lowest standards out of any city. It literally looks like a detention center. Boring looking, hardly any glass, no real color scheme, thing is straight hideous. Go look at it in person, doesnt fit in with the other buildings

You'r right I much preferred what the empty parking lot brought the that part of town. Who needs guests in a (not very attractive, I'll say it) hotel that can go out and spend money in our CBD if we could have a beautiful and spectacular parking lot. 

• Like 8

You'r right I much preferred what the empty parking lot brought the that part of town. Who needs guests in a (not very attractive, I'll say it) hotel that can go out and spend money in our CBD if we could have a beautiful and spectacular parking lot.

I am by no means defending parking lots. I would rather have a functional, leased, occupied building. But, let's not forget that one can have BOTH functional buildings and architecture consistent with the initial public renderings. This is not a question of a parking lot or a building. It is a question of the rendering first shown to the world vs. the building that was built.

Do other cities that care about architecture, like Chicago, allow a developer to show renderings of one thing and build something that looks entirely different? I honestly don't know the answer to that. Could the developer have followed the same path as the 1) embassy suites, 2) Hampton inn, and 3) Alessandra in Chicago? (I understand that each of those had "proposed renderings" that were very much differnt than the final product.)

• Like 1

Umm.. The initial rendering SUCKED. If anyone was ever wowed by this development to begin with then you really should have no say in architectural standards.

I assume that you are responding to my post?

Where did I say that I was "wow'd" by anything? Some may like a building some may dislike a building. That is the nature of things. The question that I am asking is one of process..... The process of proposing a building, showing what it will look like and then constructing something that looks quite different. Is the process that houston uses different than a city like Chicago? Care to help me understand that?

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

I assume that you are responding to my post?

Where did I say that I was "wow'd" by anything? Some may like a building some may dislike a building. That is the nature of things. The question that I am asking is one of process..... The process of proposing a building, showing what it will look like and then constructing something that looks quite different. Is the process that houston uses different than a city like Chicago? Care to help me understand that?

I'm totally going off of memory, so don't quote me on this. In a few other threads someone said something along the lines that renderings are dolled up on purpose for investors. Along the line they make budget cuts on the building for a higher return. This happens everywhere, even the Freedom Tower had cutbacks on their spire (still turned out nice IMO). It's the nature of the business.

The same people that gave us embassy suites also did this one. Most cities have zoning and sometimes desgins have to be approved. It's a long process with a lot of red tape. I guess we can hope that eventually it will be lost in the sea of surrounding lots that will eventually get developed into something.

Luckily for us we don't have that much red tape for investors to quickly respond to market demands. I'm sure the people that built this hotel know it doesn't look spectacular but dont care.

I disagree. Have you seen some of the county government buildings on and near Main street? One of the insults hurled is it looks like  a Federal (government) detention facility. The building is bland, no question. Do we really want government bureaucrats deciding color and architectural design? Let's not overreact. 

No offense, but that is a big part of the problem. That ever popular Houston mindset of being so anti-government regulation of any kind in part, lets these developers get away with building these piss poor projects. And boy did we see quite a few in this last booming period. Local government involvement is the only way to ensure quality architecture and better design standards of proposed projects.

Edited by intencity77

crap buildings like this tainting our city is exactly what Oualalou was talking about when suggesting that Houston needs some type of government counter power to ensure decent architecture.

On whose authority? On whose architectural opinion? What if they only believe in Minimalism or Brutalism? God help us then...

This building looks like a boner killer. I dub thee Abstinence Inn.

I hope this isn't deleted just so that everyone would realize their complaints will never reach the level of this one. This is the hottest take, and it's a beauty.

There are just so many great ways to read this comment, most notably the idea that someone is either walking downtown or browsing HAIF at maximum torque while looking at the construction. Perfect.

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 3