Hilton Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites Hotels At 710 Crawford St.

Houston19514

A dual badge hotel is planned for Crawford between Rusk and Capitol.  Hampton Inn with 168 rooms and Homewood Suites with 132 rooms.   14 stories.  Plan to break ground early next year and open in September 2015.

https://www.google.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.houstonchronicle.com%2Fbusiness%2Freal-estate%2Farticle%2FValue-priced-hotels-planned-for-Houston-4613401.php&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

• Like 3

Whenever I am doing a cross-country road trip, I try and stay at Hampton Inns. They are always so reliable compared to the other brands. I just stayed in a brand new one in Rochester, New York and the room was stellar. Clean, comfortable bedding, flat screen, walk-in shower. Glad to see this brand hit downtown.

I've never stayed at a Hyatt Place nor have I been to a Homewood Suites, but it's nice to see more options come to downtown. 

My only reservation is with the S-shape. It has the potential to be interesting, but since this is the same crew that brought us the Embassy Suites, I am not holding my breath. Just hope it doesn't end up tacky.

• Like 1

I was pleased to hear about this until I heard it was the same people that brought us the Embassy Suites. I hope they don't find a way to ruin the views from Discovery Green from another direction.

I'm pleased to hear about this regardless of who is bringing it to us, well, because anything is better than a parking lot.

And also it will be  behind the taller Marriott Marquis, so no view should be obstructed.

Edited by LarryDierker
  • Like 1

I was pleased to hear about this until I heard it was the same people that brought us the Embassy Suites. I hope they don't find a way to ruin the views from Discovery Green from another direction.

You're probably not going to get good architecture from a Hampton Inn, regardless of who builds it. Set your expectations low and hope to get pleasantly surprised.

I've never stayed at a Hyatt Place nor have I been to a Homewood Suites, but it's nice to see more options come to downtown..

I've generally had good experiences at Hyatt Place locations. It's one of the best of the budget hotels. Homewood Suites is ok.

"The tower portion of the property will be constructed in an S-shape above a four-story base. The exterior will have different architectural styles so the building will look like two separate structures."

It's probably going to be complete garbage. I'm just waiting to see the 4 story dark tan stucco portion, and the lighter beige stucco "tower" portion.

• Like 1

"The tower portion of the property will be constructed in an S-shape above a four-story base. The exterior will have different architectural styles so the building will look like two separate structures."

It's probably going to be complete garbage. I'm just waiting to see the 4 story dark tan stucco portion, and the lighter beige stucco "tower" portion.

Is this going to turn into another "nothing good ever gets built in Houston thread"? It is going to be complete garbage. It's a Hampton freaking Inn. I challenge anyone to find interesting architecture on a single Hampton Inn that has been built ground up anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

Is this going to turn into another "nothing good ever gets built in Houston thread"? It is going to be complete garbage. It's a Hampton freaking Inn. I challenge anyone to find interesting architecture on a single Hampton Inn that has been built ground up anywhere in the world.

Greenville, SC has an interesting Hampton Inn. Although it's not an iconic highrise so I'll probably get berated for saying that.

http://lodging.uptake.com/blog/hampton-inn-and-suites-downtown-greenville-greenville-south-carolina.html

Couldn't resist :-)

• Like 1

Challenge accepted. I'm not saying that "Nothing good ever gets built in Houston", what I'm saying is this building will be ugly and an eye sore, based soley off the Embassy Suites. And even if I thought nothing good ever gets built in this city, I can freely do so on this forum.

Anyways, here is your "challenge" (Not much of one really, a quick google/bing search, not looking for the holy grail).

This one was built in the Historic District of Columbia, SC.

2jaaq35.jpg

http://www.hamptoninncolumbia.com/

I'm not sure where this one is, but it looks decent.

2im8avo.jpg

And this one of Chattanoga, looks like the Gables being built on San Felipe.

2qd8z01.jpg

Or what about the ones that use old historic buildings?

Birmingham

30mwpx5.jpg

Mexico City

nfmdk0.jpg

Ogden, UT

34e6v7c.jpg

Edit: And here is one for the cheap seats in the back:

Boston

2d7daat.jpg

So quit your bitching about my bitching :P

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

Challenge accepted. I'm not saying that "Nothing good ever gets built in Houston", what I'm saying is this building will be ugly and an eye sore, based soley off the Embassy Suites. And even if I thought nothing good ever gets built in this city, I can freely do so on this forum.

I don't get your "it will be ugly" when you have presented all these pics of how good other locations look - some of them look real good...I even looked up pics of Embassy Suites - they look even better...

I don't get your "it will be ugly" when you have presented all these pics of how good other locations look - some of them look real good...I even looked up pics of Embassy Suites - they look even better...

Usually Embassy Suites are decent looking... I was basing this off of the same developer of the Discovery Green Embassy Suites location.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/13128-22-story-embassy-suites-discovery-green/?p=372204

Kindly refer to the first picture of the finished product with the rendering. Compare to your search results.

Usually Embassy Suites are decent looking... I was basing this off of the same developer of the Discovery Green Embassy Suites location.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/13128-22-story-embassy-suites-discovery-green/?p=372204

Kindly refer to the first picture of the finished product with the rendering. Compare to your search results.

Is it going to be the same developer ?

It a looks like Downtown's master plan is taking shape.  I'm getting excited!

http://downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2012-01-24/111212-GRBCC-2025_Master_Plan.pdf

Side note - The Embassy Suites downtown does not look awful, it was just a downgrade from the original rendering they put out. Lets hope the developer releases an accurate rendering this time - don't get our hopes up to let us down again. :(

• Like 4

Has anyone seen that awful looking hotel in San Antonio off of I-10? It's NW of downtown near Fiesta Texas I believe. It might be a Drury Inn. It has a 6-8 story parking structure base and then a hotel plopped down on top if it. Has the different colored tunnel-formed mixtures that Montrose is speaking of.

By the way, the Hampton Inn in Boston was built about 8 blocks from my old house. It's quite nice from the outside. Kinds sleek and modern which is a great contrast to the red brick surrounding it and the concrete mess that is Boston U. Medical Center across the street.

I am not expecting anything grand and I am thrilled that another surface lot will bite the dust. I just don't want it to suck. The Embassy Suites is pretty darn awful and holds such a prominent position on the beautiful park. At least this one isn't fronting the Discovery Green.

• 2 weeks later...