So I've noticed this twice now, where the columns on the lower floors are initially set back farther from the edge of the slab, then angle out closer to the edge. Why is this done? I feel like doing it that way costs more and requires a stronger column to account for the angle, and I can't think of any utility to it.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've noticed this twice now, where the columns on the lower floors are initially set back farther from the edge of the slab, then angle out closer to the edge. Why is this done? I feel like doing it that way costs more and requires a stronger column to account for the angle, and I can't think of any utility to it.

After doing a little digging, it looks like because the apartment/ tower footprint is smaller than the garage, so by the time is gets to 7, they've stepped it back far enough in to catch the tower in one place and the other looks like its trying to catch something near the pool on the amenities deck. I looks like it would still catch if they went vertical because those columns end up transitioning to rectangular, but I guess the way they need to spread the load of the slab is what determined where those columns need to be. 

FoBY9Edh.jpg

Ya know, I used to think it was just a pipe dream, but now with this project, the 54 story Museo, and other future high rises, along with the Pierce elevated coming down, I can really see the possibility of the skylines merging to make one giant skyline, it would rival Chicago and Manhattan. (Still a pipe dream)

• Like 7

FoBY9Edh.jpg

Ya know, I used to think it was just a pipe dream, but now with this project, the 54 story Museo, and other future high rises, along with the Pierce elevated coming down, I can really see the possibility of the skylines merging to make one giant skyline, it would rival Chicago and Manhattan. (Still a pipe dream)

Or maybe second? How big is Chicagos?

Would you say Chi-towns skyline goes from Roosevelt to North blvd?

How many blocks is that? How many miles?

I know Manhattan is an insane 13 miles long of nothing but buildings.

The height of the skyline drops off tremendously once one gets north of 72nd street. The far north sections of the island (e.g. Inwood) are mostly low-rises with a few mid-rises.

Edit: Manhattan is quite impressive, but the true length of the skyline runs closer to 8 or 9 miles.

Edited by houstontexasjack

It will happen, just not for another 100 years or so.

Well to be fair, Manhattan's had a bit of a headstart on us, not to mention a major geographical advantage.

I for one would love to see what the little ol' city on the bayou is gonna look like in the year 2115, assuming humanity survives for that long, but I'll be long dead by then. :(

• Like 2

Well to be fair, Manhattan's had a bit of a headstart on us, not to mention a major geographical advantage.

I for one would love to see what the little ol' city on the bayou is gonna look like in the year 2115, assuming humanity survives for that long, but I'll be long dead by then. :(

Maybe we'll all be heads in a jar. You never know.
  • Like 3

I have seen midtown go through incredible changes from the way it was 20 years past. Does anyone know how many apartments/condos have gone up?  A few dozen high rises in this area would create the impression of a massive skyline stretching  from downtown to the Texas Medical center interrupted by Hermann park. The medical center  tapers off at the 7000+  block.  Being Houston I do not think this is just a pipe dream. It just may happen sooner than we expect. The Houston metro area has had the largest total population increase from 2000 to 2014 of any metropolitan area in the United States averaging over 100,000 increase every year.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...