I'm not going to advocate for a race to the bottom.  There is nearby property, however, that does not require scraping off several very nice older houses and sticking a fork into the Asia House views, and which would still be nicely accessible for the purposes of this project.

I don't understand a "race to the bottom", but there are almost no vacant properties in the museum district (I just skimmed satellite view and could only find one or two partial blocks. The nicest house on that block IMO is the one from 2007. The white one to the right of that one is alright but the lots on the south side weren't that nice. True, there is one rock garden balcony at the Asia house that looks toward this block, but it's on the north side so it will still be looking over the 2007 house and a pocket park beyond that before getting to the 7 story midrises the next block over.

Well, these are the owners that were willing to sell. You don't think Hines approached owners of vacant land first so they could save the cost of demolition?

This.

I'm not going to advocate for a race to the bottom.  There is nearby property, however, that does not require scraping off several very nice older houses and sticking a fork into the Asia House views, and which would still be nicely accessible for the purposes of this project.

Completely agree.

I'm going to miss these beautiful homes, whether the owners agreed to it or not. I remember the first day I rode my bike down Caroline years ago and marveled at the massive 5-story home there at Oakdale. I can't even imagine how many rooms the home has. The thing is you can just tell there was so much history in that home that's now going to be gone for a city that could care less about preservation, especially well-maintained beautiful homes such as these. Almost everyone likes Hines here and I certainly do as well, but out of all of the locations for this great tower, I honestly wish they picked somewhere else.

• Like 2

Completely agree.

I'm going to miss these beautiful homes, whether the owners agreed to it or not. I remember the first day I rode my bike down Caroline years ago and marveled at the massive 5-story home there at Oakdale. I can't even imagine how many rooms the home has. The thing is you can just tell there was so much history in that home that's now going to be gone for a city that could care less about preservation, especially well-maintained beautiful homes such as these. Almost everyone likes Hines here and I certainly do as well, but out of all of the locations for this great tower, I honestly wish they picked somewhere else.

Oh I forgot about the 5 story. I liked that one too. Is that between the 2007 and the townhouse apartment things?

I agree, it's a shame we are losing old homes, but obviously the demand for living in the museum district and near a rail line is desirable. If it weren't Hines building a residential tower on 1/2 a block, it could of been a developer bulldozing multiple blocks to build the equivilent amount of mid rise apartments, similar to the development just west of this (though I don't remember what was on those blocks prior to the midrises).

• Like 1

Is that between the 2007 and the townhouse apartment things?

Hmmmm... possibly. The 5-story home is almost directly across from Asia House. It's not the two homes with the orange and red roofs, but the massive home with the silver metal roof. I believe there was a KHOU, KTRK, or KPRC news article about the people leaving the home. Kinda sad.

Hmmmm... possibly. The 5-story home is almost directly across from Asia House. It's not the two homes with the orange and red roofs, but the massive home with the silver metal roof. I believe there was a KHOU, KTRK, or KPRC news article about the people leaving the home. Kinda sad.

Oops. That's the garden/townhome/apartment things. I didn't realize that was the same building the awning parking was a part of. I like it from the Caroline side, but the south side the awning in front for parking reminds me of a cheap apartment complex. If I'm not mistaken a poster on here's daughter lived in one of them/had to move out.

I'm not going to advocate for a race to the bottom. There is nearby property, however, that does not require scraping off several very nice older houses and sticking a fork into the Asia House views, and which would still be nicely accessible for the purposes of this project.

I agree. One nice thing about zoning is that it would force a building like this onto its appropriate location on the Fannin or Main corridors, and not let it encroach into a nice low rise neighborhood.

• Like 1

I think it is great something else is being built directly along the rail. And it's great location for the park, museums, and easy access to med center/downtown. Am I sorry to see some old houses go? sure, but high rise condos are much rarer in this city than old houses.

Oops. That's the garden/townhome/apartment things. I didn't realize that was the same building the awning parking was a part of. I like it from the Caroline side, but the south side the awning in front for parking reminds me of a cheap apartment complex. If I'm not mistaken a poster on here's daughter lived in one of them/had to move out.

Yes cloud713 my daughter lived there in the large apartment building. It had one of the first elevators and a very interesting series of porches on the back side. She and her husband moved over to the two story apartment between the house not sold and the apartment building. Both buildings had many add on apartments and interesting spaces. Their apartment faced the west end of the Asia House. The rock garden faced south.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Designed by Munoz + Albin, The Southmore is a 25-story for-rent multifamily development that will contain 290,292 square feet, 259 luxury urban-style residences and six levels of parking.

Construction will begin in July of 2014. General Contractor, Urban Oaks Builders, expects occupancy of the first units in March 2016, with final completion in December 2016.

http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=2542

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Even if the tower were along Buffalo Bayou and this were the east facing view, the reflection of downtown would still need to be reversed to due to it being just that.. a reflection. Right now it's shown as you would see it face on from buffalo bayou park. Not reversed for the reflection, and definitely not as seen from the museum district.