Bob Plumb

GreenStreet Redevelopment + 21-Story Hotel Alessandra

ricco67    382

If they are putting in a hotel, then it wouldn't be wise to have an outdoor patio that would be producing noise until 2 am. This is especially true if they are already getting complaints from a hotel two blocks away.

I'm genuinely sorry to see it go, but if they want a music venue with a patio, then they need to find a location that won't disturb the neighbors.

Moore713    297

If they are putting in a hotel, then it wouldn't be wise to have an outdoor patio that would be producing noise until 2 am. This is especially true if they are already getting complaints from a hotel two blocks away.

I'm genuinely sorry to see it go, but if they want a music venue with a patio, then they need to find a location that won't disturb the neighbors.

I have never heard of anybody who moved into any DT complain about noise ...if that the case the burbs maybe a better place for you

• Like 2

ricco67    382

I have never heard of anybody who moved into any DT complain about noise ...if that the case the burbs maybe a better place for you

The difference being is that most street traffic noise is on ground level. Scott Gertner's bar was actually up in the air so the sound would radiate a further distance.

houstonfella    66

Hotel Alessandra Houston is going to be drop-dead gorgeous. Check out today's Chronicle for the rendering.  Haven't seen it yet in the online edition.

• Like 1

Dakota79    522

I saw it in my Kindle version of the Chron. How do a post a photo? It is very nice looking. I am wondering about the parking situation though.

Edited by Dakota79

swtsig    2114

Good to see this one has legs. We heard last year that they were kicking around the idea of a sky lobby which I thought would be a real unique concept for houston.

And voila!

talltexan83    44

Wow.  That looks fantastic.  I hope this spurs more activity along Dallas as well.

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but will they be demolishing the existing structure down to the ground?  Or simply adding to the top?

• Like 1

jt16    132

The Midway guys are top notch.  I'm pumped they are the new generation of developers in Houston.

• Like 3

brijonmang    3977

Gorgeous.  Way more than I was expecting.

Talltexan - From the looks of it, they will be going all the way to the ground in regards to the footprint of the building.  The end cap (circular portion) will remain intact.

• Like 2

Avossos    877

I really think this and Hines new tower finally bring top top architecture back to downtown. This is 1st class architecture. Our heavily 80s skyline could use more of these new builds, which would balance the age and feel of downtown. Very happy to see this.

edit: Is it just me, or is there basically a new hotel going in by every new office - as if it is ying and yang. I understand the mutually benificial relationships between hotels and office, but this is just too clear...

Hilcorp - Hotel Alessandra

BG Group - JW Marriott

Hess / GRB - Marriott Marquis

609 Main - Magnolia hotel (existing already)

If Capitol Tower / International tower / Chevron tower go in, it seems very possible a large hotel would follow

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

Moore713    297

Wow.  That looks fantastic.  I hope this spurs more activity along Dallas as well.

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but will they be demolishing the existing structure down to the ground?  Or simply adding to the top?

I think the HBJ said they will be demolationing the area where yao was to make the space... Seems a little backwards t you would think they would have started tihs first then the renovation.. but oh well , I am most pumped about the 7,000 sq feet of reatil... which I would image will be facing Dallas St...

wxman    489

Damn! This is top notch. Best architecture in design in this current building boom by far. Love it!

• Like 1

mollusk    1455

Gorgeous, and should help the retail component of the center as well.  

I can't help but notice that the rendering still has the Ghost of Foley's there.

Montrose1100    2642

yaaaaasss!!!!

Finally, Downtown gets a flashy Hotel.

Edit: I like how Macy's is still in the rendering.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

arche_757    665

Lovely!  Will help fill-in that little section of Downtown with 2 nice smaller scale buildings (Hilcorp included).  Who is the architect?

And I'll second what someone above said:  Midway seems to be about on par with Hines.  They may not build as many tall/large buildings but they do quality when they do build something.

Infill+Infill+More Infill = a vibrant and energized core we can all be proud and boastful of.

• Like 1