Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

The one thing I really dislike about the reno is that they are plonking the parking garage next to the beautiful historic facade on San Jacinto.  The least they could do is give the garage an appropriate non-clashing facade that complements the original wing.

Oddly enough, I don't think the wildly different adjacent styles are that jarring.  I suppose that's because it's kinda common in that immediate vicinity.  Keep in mind, it's surrounded by the big pipe wrench catty corner across Rusk (which itself abuts the 1920s-ish Stowers Building/Aloft), the Saks garage in all its sixties glory across Capitol, 609 Main to the immediate northwest, Club Quarters across Fannin and the old Customs House across San Jacinto.  

Kinda like the nearby food court, where you can spin around and get gumbo, burgers, meatballs and pasta, banh mi, dumplings, or a smoothie (as I refer to it, "collision cuisine), all among the Mole People.

Pure Houston.

• Like 2

No.

I have an update for this too but I'll post everything when I get home tonight.

Talked to several construction workers to make sure this was the story. These cranes are not for the parking garage and they are not for the new tower either.

They told me they will actually be installing two cranes for the two different sections of the complex. They are there to simply bring up the infrastructure that they need. Whatever that may be.

The parking garage is a long long long way off. It won't be worked on until a few months from the end. They told me it won't take long for them to build it at all (so I guess it's precast?)

Again, I'll post all my pictures later tonight.

Edit: Again no. It is NOT for the parking garage. Source? Several construction workers throughout the site... I wanted to make sure they all told me the same story.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

No.

I have an update for this too but I'll post everything when I get home tonight.

Talked to several construction workers to make sure this was the story. These cranes are not for the parking garage and they are not for the new tower either.

They told me they will actually be installing two cranes for the two different sections of the complex. They are there to simply bring up the infrastructure that they need. Whatever that may be.

The parking garage is a long long long way off. It won't be worked on until a few months from the end. They told me it won't take long for them to build it at all (so I guess it's precast?)

Again, I'll post all my pictures later tonight.

Edit: Again no. It is NOT for the parking garage. Source? Several construction workers throughout the site... I wanted to make sure they all told me the same story.

Interesting.. I guess they are using them to build the roof top infrastructure they are installing/implementing into the design?

• Like 1

triton, please keep in mind.. that we really don't necessarily need to have the finest quality illustrations.  not to patronize you my pal, but you stepped out into this massive houston heat, and captured illustrations that simply were not here beforehand.  we thank you, as per your hard work.  and the quality is just fine with us....

• Like 4