Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

• The title was changed to 1111 Rusk: Texaco Building Renovations
  • 2 months later...
On 8/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Yogibooboo said:

Here are slide photos taken chronologically during the construction of the 1958-1959 addition to the Texaco Building at 1111 Rusk, along with a 1965 photo of the completed building.   These were taken by my wife's grandfather, Glenn E. Musselman, who worked for Texaco for many years.   The file names of the photos include the date taken.

Texaco-65-08-19-30.jpg

Wow traffic looks terrible

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I am a resident of The Star.  I really enjoyed this post to get all of the background on the renovation.  I am a downtown “pioneer” as I was an original tenant of the Rice in 1998.  I have no interest in new construction but love these old buildings repurposed for residential space.  The Star is great with the exception of not being able to open the windows.  It is very efficient as I have never turned on heat (even during our frozen tundra in February.) But I would love to get some fresh air occasionally.  Most of the windows at The Rice could be opened.  Some were difficult to open, but with persistence they would go up.   Can anyone confirm this statements I was told when I moved to The Star?  I was told that if a building is over 6 stories high, they are not allowed to have operable windows.  Anyone able to comment on that?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Downtown JuJuB said:

I am a resident of The Star.  I really enjoyed this post to get all of the background on the renovation.  I am a downtown “pioneer” as I was an original tenant of the Rice in 1998.  I have no interest in new construction but love these old buildings repurposed for residential space.  The Star is great with the exception of not being able to open the windows.  It is very efficient as I have never turned on heat (even during our frozen tundra in February.) But I would love to get some fresh air occasionally.  Most of the windows at The Rice could be opened.  Some were difficult to open, but with persistence they would go up.   Can anyone confirm this statements I was told when I moved to The Star?  I was told that if a building is over 6 stories high, they are not allowed to have operable windows.  Anyone able to comment on that?

Can't help with your question, but it was interesting during the renovation to seethe windows in the "new" section had center pivots that the construction crews opened up. 

• 1 year later...

FYI, The Nash restaurant has expanded, taking half of The Star's lobby.

It looks like it's been turned into a private dining room.  And from what I've observed, just in time for Christmas office parties, as I sometimes see people in tuxes and evening gowns unloading in front.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Texaco Building At 1111 Rusk St.
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"A historic building in downtown Houston that once served as the headquarters for Texaco has been put on the market, according to CBRE.

The Star apartment building is being offered for sale, and CBRE is the brokerage representing the owners. Dallas-based Provident Realty Advisors owns the property, according to CoStar data."

https://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/471722575

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The retail space in The Star Parking Garage on the corner of Capitol and San Jacinto is being kitted out.  (Door faces San Jacinto.)

Rumor is that it's going to be another scooter rental joint.  Hopefully not.

There are three scooter storefronts downtown that I know of, plus two that operate from parking lots on the weekends.  There's probably more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, editor said:

The retail space in The Star Parking Garage on the corner of Capitol and San Jacinto is being kitted out.  (Door faces San Jacinto.)

There are three scooter storefronts downtown that I know of, plus two that operate from parking lots on the weekends.  There's probably more.

Thanks for the update, @editor. The retail space you're referencing is part of The Star at 1111 Rusk St. 

There's a topic for it linked below:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28162-texaco-building-at-1111-rusk-st

@Urbannizer @Triton please consider merging this with the existing topic for The Star located at 1111 Rusk St.

Leasing materials for The Star are linked below. I'm unsure if DuWest is the retail or office leasing agent. However, the company is marketing the ground floor retail of the downtown building at 1111 Rusk St.

Details from the listing:

• Historic residential high-rise in the heart of Downtown Houston (Former Texaco Building)

• 286 luxury rental units in the property

https://duwestrealty.com/properties?post=3101&forlease=0&forsale=0&padsitesale=0&padsitelease=0

https://duwestrealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/The-Star-1111-Rusk-Flyer.pdf

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/443685/texas-the-star

Below is an outdated retail area map included in the leasing brochure. 

OjzzICu.jpg

Below is a site plan included in leasing materials for the The Star. I'm unsure if the site plan is up-to-date or not.

According to the site plan, the following ground floor retail are available for lease:

•  Space B (Rusk St and San Jacinto St)

• 11,924 sf+
    • 4,824 sf (mezzanine)

•  Space C (Fannin St and Capitol St)

•  3,825 SF

• Space D (Capitol St and San Jacinto St)
    • 1,743 SF

The Star is located in downtown Houston at 1111 Rusk St.

https://duwestrealty.com/properties?post=3101&forlease=0&forsale=0&padsitesale=0&padsitelease=0

https://duwestrealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/The-Star-1111-Rusk-Flyer.pdf

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/443685/texas-the-star

pDRL5V3.jpg

9 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to the site plan, the following ground floor retail are available for lease:

• 1,743 SF

There may be an update pertaining to one of the ground floor retail spaces at The Star. Based on @editor's observation, the unit marked as Space D in leasing materials appears to be undergoing renovations. The unit is located at Capitol and San Jacinto.

The Star is located at 1111 Rusk St. 

2 hours ago, editor said:

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

As a point of interest, while The Star (1111 Rusk) and The Star Parking Garage (703 Fannin) are marketed as being one building, they are actually physically two buildings that are adjacent.  You even have to walk over a metal plate when passing between the two structures' basements.

Each building is also managed by different companies.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street
On 2/23/2024 at 12:14 PM, editor said:

As a point of interest, while The Star (1111 Rusk) and The Star Parking Garage (703 Fannin) are marketed as being one building, they are actually physically two buildings that are adjacent.  You even have to walk over a metal plate when passing between the two structures' basements.

Each building is also managed by different companies.

Fair enough. I was going by the marketing brochure and ownership, which shows the entire block as one parcel.

For posterity, here is the metal plate between the two buildings:

image.jpeg

Beneath those buildings is something of a maze, so I'm not always sure which one I'm looking up at.  I'm sure some person smarter than me and tell which photos are the belly of the new building and which one is the old building:

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0757.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 5:39 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to the site plan, the following ground floor retail are available for lease (for The Star is at 1111 Rusk St):

• 1,743 SF

pDRL5V3.jpg

On 2/16/2024 at 3:06 PM, editor said:

A plan reviewing fee permit was purchased last September for 1111 Rusk St, Suite 147. The unit is shown in retail marketing material for The Star as Space D. It's located on the ground level at Capitol St and San Jacinto St.

Details from the permit:

• Use: 1,743 sf speculative retail buildout 1-16-1-M-A '15 IBC Sp/fa
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

PIcHu6N.png

On 2/16/2024 at 5:39 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

According to the site plan, the following ground floor retail are available for lease (for The Star is at 1111 Rusk St):

• 1,743 SF

pDRL5V3.jpg

On 2/16/2024 at 3:06 PM, editor said:

28 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A plan reviewing fee permit was purchased last September for 1111 Rusk St, Suite 147. The unit is shown in retail marketing material for The Star as Space D. It's located on the ground level at Capitol St and San Jacinto St.

Details from the permit:

• Use: 1,743 sf speculative retail buildout 1-16-1-M-A '15 IBC Sp/fa
  • FCC Group: Non-residential alteration

PIcHu6N.png

Plans for 1111 Rusk St, Ste 147 were approved for permitting in January. According the permit, work on the space is for a retail buildout.

1111 Rusk St, Suite 147 is located at The Star.

Below is a screenshot of the plan review inspection report.

3qjrE47.jpeg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

1 minute ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Plans for 1111 Rusk St, Ste 147 were approved for permitting in January. According the permit, work on the space is for a retail buildout.

Below is a screenshot of the plan review inspection report.

3qjrE47.jpeg

Several permits were purchased for 1111 Rusk St, Suite 147 in January:

• Structural permit
  • Certificate of occupancy
  • Duplicate certificate of occupancy or Change of owner

According the permit, work on the space is for a retail buildout.

Structural permit

hnheezv.png

Certificate of occupancy

W5VJHHg.png

Duplicate certificate of occupancy or Change of owner

wyLOaOS.png

24 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

An electrical permit and plumbing permit were purchased for 1111 Rusk St, Suite 147 last month.

Electrical permit

QgRefLx.png

Plumbing permit

DA3b5R0.png

I looked at the paper permit in the window a few weeks ago and forgot to post it:

0361AD56-F581-447F-8F07-0B01D7704793_1_105_c.jpg

In other cities I've lived, "speculative'" meant they were just building it out hoping that having a finished space will attract a tenant, but that none was currently on the hook.  Does it means the same thing in Houston?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1