Texaco Building (now The Star) At 1111 Rusk Street

editor

32 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

That poor tree died for that.

It's still in a big barrel/pot, so there's hope for it. Given the lack of funds spent to get this thing finished, I'd guess that it will end up as part of the roof deck landscaping eventually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The garage may look a little bit better yet once the covering over the rail stop is removed and the ground floor buildouts are done, but I doubt anyone will ever find it attractive.

Curious what business might land there behind the rail stop, it's not a terribly busy one, mostly transfers to the red line.

It's a bit simplified from the drawings, but from the (I believe three) sets of imagery we've seen, this actually reflects two of them EXCEPT all three designs have had a clearly separated/differentiated northwest corner. Otherwise this is very much the design they've shown since at least as far back as 2015: http://www.hbginc.com/projects/multihousing-and-mixed-use/historic-texaco-building-apartments/#.VWbWZE_BzGc.

I would also say it's pretty similar to a design we say in 2014 (not the one that shows up in the thumbnail):

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on Benjamin, the restaurant from B&B Butchers' Benjamin Berg, opening inside The Star in downtown Houston at 1111 Rusk.

From Houston Business Journal:

What's the update on your new restaurant, Benjamin, inside The Star?
I hope it’ll open late summer or fall of 2018. It’s going to be upscale dining. I have this idea in my head the way dining is going: upscale but very approachable. I don’t think people want stuffiness anymore. But I want to give a high level of service and an unbelievable experience in an absolutely breathtaking space that’s iconic for Houston — the architectural work on the building is just gorgeous. I want to do the concept at a price that’s approachable and in an environment that’s approachable.

The whole restaurant is about 18,000 square feet and we’re going to have some of the best, especially for restaurants, private event space. The dining room itself will have somewhere between 180 to 200 seats, a bar with roughly 60 seats. The rest of the space will be private rooms that can fit about 400 people. We’re going to have a table in the kitchen. In fact, I’ll have two kitchens: a kitchen on the mezzanine for private events and an a la carte kitchen. Plus, a garden. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/01/ny-restaurateur-carves-out-a-niche-in-upscale.html

This sounds like a great place for corporate events and lawyers/bankers and maybe even the 25-year wedding anniversary!

• 1 month later...

The Tower crane is coming down this weekend. Downtown will be down to just 3 tower cranes now. 2 at Capitol tower and 1 at Camden Conte.

San Jacinto St. Construction
Friday, March 9 (9 pm) – Monday, March 12 (5 am
Complete continuous closure of the 700 block of San Jacinto St. (between Rusk and Capitol) for crane dismantlement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...