Elan Heights: Multifamily At 825 Usener St.

The Pragmatist

I think we may be seeing a pie in the sky rendering.  8-9 stories with all kinds of unique architectural elements?  I suspect that when they go to break ground, we will get the usual 4-5 story "pavillion style" complex.  But, if this rendering is based in reality, then it would mark a new level of multifamily development inside the loop and a break away from the safe bet pencil box developments. 

But, it is certainly a spot that is ripe for redevelopment.  White Oak Drive gives residents good access without having to cut through the neighborhoods.  It would be totally amazing if they actually did some ground floor retail.  It would be great to go to the park and be able to get a sandwich at a cafe in the new development. 

blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/05/aging-apartment-complex-near-downtown-to-be-replaced-with-luxury-building/?cmpid=hpfsln#11831-1

Under contract and set to replace the old and very outdated Skylane Central apartments near the Taylor street bridge. Can't post the (one of several proposed) rendering but it looks a lot like the now debunked Hines cafe adobe project, which I dig. I think we can safely assume they will select a much more traditional design bc, well, that's what happens in Houston.

This is total B.S they did not say jack.. I found it strange when I went to renew- my  lease the woman was like oh don't worry just pay month to month.. in fact they moved the rental office offsite .. Why do they toy with people ..instead of saying "hey  you might have to move were negotionng   to sell the property

A guy in this thread makes it sound like they don't know anything about the plans...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/27972-greystar-to-build-luxury-apts-near-woodland-heights/

Everyone I talk to said they had no I dea, there has been no emails. no letters sent out.. they just started moving the office employeesto the main office  at corprate

In one of the more hilarious google street view shots that I've seen, one resident provides his honest thoughts on this development.  Please note the guy in the black tank top...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2222+white+oak,+houston,+tx&ll=29.778421,-95.380232&spn=0.013018,0.026157&hnear=2222+White+Oak+Dr,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77009&gl=us&t=h&layer=c&cbll=29.779534,-95.381526&panoid=t6GlasiDO8xgIUfbT08Wnw&cbp=12,8.62,,0,3.32&z=16

Edited by King Owl
  • Like 4

Whoa, I dreamed we had this thread going yesterday.

No dream.  It was up and disappeared. 

I wonder whether this development will be made possible by the soon to be revised flood maps and some of the work currently underway on the bayou by the MKT/hike-bike bridge.  Part of the property is currently in the floodway and all of the property is in the flood plain.  Building it up would take care of the flood plain, but that might be seen by the County as impeding the floodway.  I really hope they buck the trend and put in some ground floor retail.  Doubtful given what Greystar usually does, but it would really be great for the neighborhood to have a cafe/restaurant right next to the park.

• 4 weeks later...

Great rendering but I must say... what in the world is going on with our skyline in that picture. There are just so many things wrong with it.. from it's far north location to the northern towers now being southern towers. Wow  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

From the architect's website under the rendering:

"One of the scenarios the developer is considering for a new apartment project, called Elan Heights, is an eight-story building with about 250 units and attached parking."

Word from the meeting with the developer at the Woodland Heights Ass'n meeting was that they are looking at building something modern-leaning to attract 25-35 year old age group.  I suspect that once designs get in front of investors the final version will get dumbed down and be more like the Gables Memorial Hills apartments, which aren't bad looking.

From the architect's website under the rendering:

"One of the scenarios the developer is considering for a new apartment project, called Elan Heights, is an eight-story building with about 250 units and attached parking."

Word from the meeting with the developer at the Woodland Heights Ass'n meeting was that they are looking at building something modern-leaning to attract 25-35 year old age group. I suspect that once designs get in front of investors the final version will get dumbed down and be more like the Gables Memorial Hills apartments, which aren't bad looking.

This is almost certainly what will happen which is incredibly frustrating but entirely predictable.

• 2 months later...
Expect Greystar and Finger Companies to be among the first developers tackling metal frames in 
Houston. Greystar’s newest metal frame project dubbed Elan Heights will begin in Q2 2014. It will 

encompass 260 units with an average square footage of 760. The mean rent will be $1,700.

http://apmanagement.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/The-Apartment-Report_APC_7.8.13_PRESS-BREAK.pdf

While I really loved living at Sawyer Heights, I can't justify the rent for such small square footage. Not to mention our 15sqft storage ($200/month). Might as well buy a townhouse... Which is what my plans are in the next 2-3 years.

Anyways, the rendering is cool. Very different, but in a good way. The area is awesome and I miss it very much!!

While I really loved living at Sawyer Heights, I can't justify the rent for such small square footage. Not to mention our 15sqft storage ($200/month). Might as well buy a townhouse... Which is what my plans are in the next 2-3 years.

Anyways, the rendering is cool. Very different, but in a good way. The area is awesome and I miss it very much!![/quote

Yes for that price point you can afford a townhouse. You might need storage or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this year, Greystar announced it was purchasing the 76-unit Skylane apartments, built in 1960, and replacing it with a new project called Elan Heights. The property sale should close in September and the demolition of the apartments will take place between January and March 2014. The complex could open by the summer of 2016.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Developers-addressing-neighborhood-concerns-4757282.php?cmpid=albtfp

• Like 1