Dallas Midtown

This is a long-term plan to redevelop the area near the Galleria at the Dallas North Tollway and IH635. The current Valley View Center has been in decline for several years and will be replaced with a mixed-use district. The new Area Plan for 400+ acres was approved a few weeks ago but will take years (if not decades) to fully implement.

http://www.dallasmidtown.com/

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2013/05/as-city-looks-to-remake-valley-view-galleria-area-check-cashers-pawn-shops-and-big-boxes-zoned-out-of-existence.html/

DallasMidtownAerial.jpg

• Like 2

This is a long-term plan to redevelop the area near the Galleria at the Dallas North Tollway and IH635.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but did they ever do anything with the Dallas Galleria? I visited it several times in the mid-late 80's and it was the place to be. Last time I was there, in 2000 or 2001 it seemed dead by comparison. Reminded me of how Town & Country was here in Houston in it's later years.

That would have been before the latest rennovations of the Dallas Galleria in 2005. It made the mall way nicer, but it is still no Houston Galleria.

And the midtown Dallas concept is nice. One thing about Dallas is it does think big. And i believe that Dallas will make it happen. Many have said that this no more than what we have at citycentre here in Houston, but Dallas's developments will be much closer in together.

• Like 1

Pretty impressive vision. Wish we could get plans of that magnitude here in Houston.

Break out your pencils and draw one then. No one said that those buildings would be constructed. That is simply a drawing of what it COULD look like in 20 or 30 years IF developers all followed one person's idea of what buildings should be built in what locations. It is a safe bet that it will never look like that.

• Like 1

Break out your pencils and draw one then. No one said that those buildings would be constructed. That is simply a drawing of what it COULD look like in 20 or 30 years IF developers all followed one person's idea of what buildings should be built in what locations. It is a safe bet that it will never look like that.

This isn't Houston.  :D

I never said that I believed it would be developed or constructed. All I said is that it was nice that they have plans of that magnitude key word plans. I think that it is more then just someone breaking out pencils. They are trying to get that area zoned so that the type of buildings depicted can possibly be developed in that area.

I never said that I believed it would be developed or constructed. All I said is that it was nice that they have plans of that magnitude key word plans. I think that it is more then just someone breaking out pencils. They are trying to get that area zoned so that the type of buildings depicted can possibly be developed in that area.

Houston has had plenty of pretty plans that haven't happened (e.g., Astroworld site redevelopment, Hardy Yards). When one reads more of the detail of this "plan", one sees how unlikely this plan is to come to fruition. Head scratchers include luxury retail anchored by Sears and JCPenney; and a gondola!

I would file this in the same folder as the 'Port' of Dallas and the countless other proposals that were announced there and never built. That area is a junk heap and will always be. Wake me up in 30 years.

Edited by Mister X

That would have been before the latest rennovations of the Dallas Galleria in 2005. It made the mall way nicer, but it is still no Houston Galleria.

And the midtown Dallas concept is nice. One thing about Dallas is it does think big. And i believe that Dallas will make it happen. Many have said that this no more than what we have at citycentre here in Houston, but Dallas's developments will be much closer in together.

How are Dallas developments "much closer in together"?

Houston has had plenty of pretty plans that haven't happened (e.g., Astroworld site redevelopment, Hardy Yards). When one reads more of the detail of this "plan", one sees how unlikely this plan is to come to fruition. Head scratchers include luxury retail anchored by Sears and JCPenney; and a gondola!

I predict that both Astroworld AND Hardy Yards will be redeveloped within 30 years.

And, Houston will do it without zoning!

How are Dallas developments "much closer in together"?

It just feels that way when driving through downtown Dallas. It feels that it doesn't take as long to get places, and I think that has alot to do with the way downtown/Uptown Dallas is built. The heart of everything seems to be right there. In Houston, it takes at least 7 minutes to get from downtown to the Museum District. It takes 15-20 minutes to get from downtown to City Centre. Dallas planned their arts district right outside of Uptown which was a pretty smart move.

It just feels that way when driving through downtown Dallas. It feels that it doesn't take as long to get places, and I think that has alot to do with the way downtown/Uptown Dallas is built. The heart of everything seems to be right there. In Houston, it takes at least 7 minutes to get from downtown to the Museum District. It takes 15-20 minutes to get from downtown to City Centre. Dallas planned their arts district right outside of Uptown which was a pretty smart move.

Houston has its theater district right in downtown, with at least eight heavily-scheduled performance venues in a compact and urban (compared to the Dallas Arts District) district.  The Dallas Arts District has 4 relatively-lightly scheduled performance venues and 2 musuems.   The Houston Museum District is very near downtown (by either car or rail) and has 19 museums/galleries in close proximity to one another.  How far would one have to travel in Dallas to find that many museums?

Couldn't help noticing you ignored the fact that it also takes 15-20 minutes to get from downtown Dallas to this proposed development in north Dallas (the topic of the thread), similar to the time it takes to go from downtown Houston to the CityCentre development (which also has the distinct advantage of actually existing). 

How long does it take to get from downtown Dallas to:

American Airlines Center

the Ballpark in Arlington

Cowboys Stadium

the MLS stadium in Frisco

Now compare that to how long it takes to get from downtown Houston to:

Toyota Center

MinuteMaid Park

Reliant Stadium

BBVA Compass Stadium?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's unlikely the final product will look anything like the rendering. I do think the central park has a chance of being built and that would encourage SOME residential development in the area. Being surrounded by suburbs, Dallas is starting to realize the only way to grow is to add density (but creating this new North Dallas "town center" won't help downtown at all).

ValleyViewRedo040413.jpg

Edited by dfwcre8tive

Being surrounded by suburbs, Dallas is starting to realize the only way to grow is to add density (but creating this new North Dallas "town center" won't help downtown at all).

It's been a few years since I've been there but the last time I was in Dallas it was surrounded by wide open, flat, cheap land all the way to the Oklahoma border. Did some geographical anomaly occur in the last 12 years or so that prevents developers from buying that land and putting up more suburbs?

Houston has its theater district right in downtown, with at least eight heavily-scheduled performance venues in a compact and urban (compared to the Dallas Arts District) district.  The Dallas Arts District has 4 relatively-lightly scheduled performance venues and 2 musuems.   The Houston Museum District is very near downtown (by either car or rail) and has 19 museums/galleries in close proximity to one another.  How far would one have to travel in Dallas to find that many museums?

Couldn't help noticing you ignored the fact that it also takes 15-20 minutes to get from downtown Dallas to this proposed development in north Dallas (the topic of the thread), similar to the time it takes to go from downtown Houston to the CityCentre development (which also has the distinct advantage of actually existing). 

How long does it take to get from downtown Dallas to:

American Airlines Center

the Ballpark in Arlington

Cowboys Stadium

the MLS stadium in Frisco

Now compare that to how long it takes to get from downtown Houston to:

Toyota Center

MinuteMaid Park

Reliant Stadium

BBVA Compass Stadium?

Your post made me chuckle, and i mean chuckle at myself.

I guess i have to admit, I tend to look at other places and admire what they have from a distance, and automatically think its so much different than what i have at home. Character flaw, i guess. LOL

It's been a few years since I've been there but the last time I was in Dallas it was surrounded by wide open, flat, cheap land all the way to the Oklahoma border. Did some geographical anomaly occur in the last 12 years or so that prevents developers from buying that land and putting up more suburbs?

The City of Dallas is surrounded by other cities (suburbs) and unable to annex more land. Redeveloping underutilized areas helps keep the tax dollars in the city, and there are plenty of areas within the city limits where this can happen.

Edited by dfwcre8tive

It's nicer, cleaner, and less crowded than Houston Galleria. 

I shake my head at the defensive attitude of Houstonians when Dallas is doing well in anything. 

I shake my head at people who prove conclusively that they have no idea what they are talking about.

It's not just Houstonians, NOBODY in their right mind would be more impressed with the Dallas Galleria than the Houston Galleria. The Houston Galleria is epic. It's like a sprawling indoor mini city located in the middle of the 17th largest business district in the United States which is currently immediately surrounded by building cranes and new construction in every direction. The Dallas Galleria is a white elephant over-sized mall with an ice skating rink in a crappy part of town surrounded by dying malls and decaying apartments. The vibes that each Galleria give off are incomparable.

Midtown Dallas is a pipe dream if there ever was one. Any potential that area has to be redeveloped will undoubtedly be siphoned off 15 miles to the north in Frisco. The money moved farther north of LBJ and so did the future.

I hope that didn't come off sounding too defensive, because it is the truth.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

I shake my head at people who prove conclusively that they have no idea what they are talking about.

It's not just Houstonians, NOBODY in their right mind would be more impressed with the Dallas Galleria than the Houston Galleria. The Houston Galleria is epic. It's like a sprawling indoor mini city located in the middle of the 17th largest business district in the United States which is currently immediately surrounded by building cranes and new construction in every direction. The Dallas Galleria is a white elephant over-sized mall with an ice skating rink in a crappy part of town surrounded by dying malls and decaying apartments. The vibes that each Galleria give off are incomparable.

Midtown Dallas is a pipe dream if there ever was one. Any potential that area has to be redeveloped will undoubtedly be siphoned off 15 miles to the north in Frisco. The money moved farther north of LBJ and so did the future.

I hope that didn't come off sounding too defensive, because it is the truth.

We will see. In some aspects Dallas is much farther along than houston, look at their 80+ miles of rail for example. 

And I've lived in Houston and worked for significant periods of time in Dallas. I like Dallas galleria better. 

And basically your last post said "Screw Dallas. Just because they said they're going to build something means it can't happen, because that would make Houston look bad." 

Edited by Slick Vik

We will see. In some aspects Dallas is much farther along than houston, look at their 80+ miles of rail for example. 

And I've lived in Houston and worked for significant periods of time in Dallas. I like Dallas galleria better. 

And basically your last post said "Screw Dallas. Just because they said they're going to build something means it can't happen, because that would make Houston look bad." 

I don't disagree that in some respects that Dallas is much farther along than Houston. But not when Gallerias are being compared. It's just opinion. If you prefer less crowed, less popular, over-sized malls in junky areas of Dallas to more popular, crowed, successful vibrant business/shopping/living districts in Houston, by all means enjoy yourself. Some people are entertained by Mozart. Some people are entertained by Honey Boo Boo.  Take your pick.

And you misunderstood. I never said Midtown Dallas can't happen because it would make Houston look bad. Houston already has this, it's called City Centre. I said Midtown Dallas can't happen because that area of Dallas is too far gone, too far from the money and too far from the hip areas. I think the area will be redeveloped into something. But I'd be willing to bet money that it won't look like that rendering within our lifetimes. I believe there was something similar to this project planned for the old Texas Stadium site in Irving. How'd that work out?

I agree with Red Scare this time. This is a simple case of "The Grass Is Greener Syndrome". I've been coming to HAIF long enough to recognize all the symptoms of that disease.  The good news is that it isn't fatal, but it will rot your brain if left untreated.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

I don't disagree that in some respects that Dallas is much farther along than Houston. But not when Gallerias are being compared. It's just opinion. If you prefer less crowed, less popular, over-sized malls in junky areas of Dallas to more popular, crowed, successful vibrant business/shopping/living districts in Houston, by all means enjoy yourself. Some people like Honey Boo Boo. Some people like Mozart. Take your pick.

And you misunderstood. I never said Midtown Dallas can't happen because it would make Houston look bad. Houston already has this, it's called City Centre. I said Midtown Dallas can't happen because that area of Dallas is too far gone, too far from the money and too far from the hip areas. I think the area will be redeveloped in to something. But I'd be willing to bet money that it won't look like that rendering within our lifetimes.

I believe there was something similar to this project planned for the old Texas Stadium site in Irving. How'd that work out?

Galleria area is closer to hip areas than city centre is. Also that area isn't bad Addison has a lot of restaurants and around the galleria are a lot of offices. The only blights are pawn shops and cash loan offices. But it's not the "too far gone" you claim.

• Like 1

I keep looking at those 80 miles of rail and wondering why nobody rides it. Actually, DART is the perfect metaphor for Slick's posts. The grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

At least it's built. The attitude of people not willing to ride it is something that has to change. I've been to the other side and I'm not a houston homer I can speak honestly about dallas

Galleria area is closer to hip areas than city centre is. Also that area isn't bad Addison has a lot of restaurants and around the galleria are a lot of offices. The only blights are pawn shops and cash loan offices. But it's not the "too far gone" you claim.

Don't forget about the endless acres of run down, decaying apartments, dying malls and ugly strip centers not to mention the pawn shops, check cashing places and dollar stores that stretch every inch of land between the Tollway to Preston and beyond. There is a very good reason that this area has attracted so many of those kinds of businesses. It's called 'Supply and Demand'. Currently there isn't much demand for 4 star restaurants near Valley View Mall. Now THAT'S what I call 'honest'.

Those "hip" areas you speak of that are close by will be a drain to any traction that Midtown Dallas could ever establish. There is not much reason for Midtown Dallas to exist. There are a lot of reasons that this project would be very cool. But it certainly seems like there would be many more things working against it. 

The Galleria area of Dallas reminds me of the Greenspoint area in Houston. "Isn't bad" you say? I say "bad" is in the eye of the beholder. Just like Greenspoint, the Dallas Galleria area has its good points too.

Respectfully, I don't believe you can be honest about Dallas. Anyone who says they prefer the Dallas Galleria to the Houston Galleria is either bias or not playing with a full deck. I will give you credit that you ARE playing with a full deck. So that only leaves the question about your 'honesty'.

Edited by Mister X
  • Like 1

At least it's built. The attitude of people not willing to ride it is something that has to change. I've been to the other side and I'm not a houston homer I can speak honestly about dallas

The problem with trains is that if they go to places where no one wants to go they end up empty. Dallas took the cheap route and built their light rail down old rail ROWs. But no one lives or works near those old ROWs. So, they ended up with a very expensive empty train.

Pretty useless.

• Like 1

The problem with trains is that if they go to places where no one wants to go they end up empty. Dallas took the cheap route and built their light rail down old rail ROWs. But no one lives or works near those old ROWs. So, they ended up with a very expensive empty train.

Pretty useless.

But at least it looks cool when passing by it on the freeway. :D And the lightrail stations are definitely artwork masterpieces.

• Like 1