Holiday Inn Hotel At 1616 Main St.

jdbaker

Feature in HBJ about the Savoy -> Holiday Inn transformation

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/01/photos-peek-inside-a-downtown-historic-hotels.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_houston+%28Houston+Business+Journal%29

Maybe an outdoor bar is coming

There's also roughly 8,000 square feet of undeveloped green space adjacent to the hotel that Bijlani and his team may develop into an outdoor bar,

• Like 5

It was removed and sent back to the artist's (David Adicke) studio.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/david-adickes-random-big-head-lady-gone-from-main-street-6751901

"It's part of an image that I'm particularly fond of," Adickes said. "It's the rhythm of the hair. The high cheekbones. The Roman profile of the nose. ... I've always been partial to elegant women."

Not so much the effete aesthetes at Houston Architecture Info Forum.

They lambasted the piece on this thread, wherein the Big Head on Main Street name was apparently born.

lol

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I ate at Burger Theory before the art car parade this weekend.  Really good build your own burger options and quite a large drink menu as well.  Burger was good for the price but the draft beers were ranging between 6-8.50 but I would say the prices were about what to expect for a hotel downtown.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placoors said:

I ate at Burger Theory before the art car parade this weekend.  Really good build your own burger options and quite a large drink menu as well.  Burger was good for the price but the draft beers were ranging between 6-8.50 but I would say the prices were about what to expect for a hotel downtown.

This is good to hear.  I need to get over there and buy a burger and beer to help their first few months be successful.  Thanks for posting.  I now have something to do after work this week.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, lockmat said:

Has it been that long already? I thought it was four or five?

The photo is just over 10 years old, actually - early 2008

NRG's tower at GreenStreet is still under construction and halfway clad in that shot, and it matches a few photos I took from late February or early March of that year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Savoy Hotel To Become A Flagship Holiday Inn
  • The title was changed to Holiday Inn Hotel At 1616 Main St.