Is state lotto mostly played by the poor?

lockmat

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play the lotto?

• Yes and I make less than 45k
    • Yes and I make more than 45k
    • No and I make less than 45k
    • No and I make more than 45k

Funny that most Tea Partiers fancy themselves libertarians, yet the first time a chance to play Nanny comes up, here they are lecturing us on whether we should gamble our own money or not. Nice.

??

Should the state have a monopoly on selling cigarettes as well? Why should the state have a monopoly on gambling?

??

Should the state have a monopoly on selling cigarettes as well? Why should the state have a monopoly on gambling?

Unless the state controls the horse racing and dog racing tracks, they don't have a monopoly on gambling.

They'll need to drop the tax on tobacco sales as well, it's more proven that poor people smoke in far greater numbers that those that are rich.

I bet poor people drink more too, they need to get rid of that tax.

I also am willing to bet that more poor people do drugs. Drugs being illegal are a targeted method of putting poor people in jail, make all drugs legal, and don't tax them.

They'll need to drop the tax on tobacco sales as well, it's more proven that poor people smoke in far greater numbers that those that are rich.

I bet poor people drink more too, they need to get rid of that tax.

The analogy would be if the state banned tobacco sales and started selling tobacco themselves. That would be bad.

I also am willing to bet that more poor people do drugs. Drugs being illegal are a targeted method of putting poor people in jail, make all drugs legal, and don't tax them.

When I was living in Atlanta in the 90's I heard and ex vice cop give a lecture on his experiences with drug enforcement.  He told us that most of the people caught with drugs were middle or upper class and that it was something of a myth that the majority of drug users were poor.

When I was living in Atlanta in the 90's I heard and ex vice cop give a lecture on his experiences with drug enforcement.  He told us that most of the people caught with drugs were middle or upper class and that it was something of a myth that the majority of drug users were poor.

That is strange. Why would a cop baldfaced lie like that? Don't believe me? Here's an idea. Get up early tomorrow. Drive into downtown Houston. Park your car. Walk to the Harris County Criminal Justice Center at 1201 Franklin. Make sure that you get there by 9:00 am. Look around. Count the number of rich people there. Report back to us.

Archived