One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43 - 800 Preston St.

lockmat

1 hour ago, CREguy13 said:

Had a chance to view these renderings.  This building will have even more terraces than Texas Tower.  I think this forum will be very impressed by the redesign.  High quality project - hopefully it gets capitalized!

Can you give us an idea of what it looks like? Does it still retain the curved facade? Floor count?

• Like 5

M1ZctXGE.png

^^^ ok, enough with the KIBBLES 'n BITS scenario!  maybe, just maybe, someone can deliver unto us proud HAIFERS, the approximate date/time... that the official new renderings/concepts may be hereby presented to the masses.  props, in advance...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 9 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, CREguy13 said:

Had a chance to view these renderings.  This building will have even more terraces than Texas Tower.  I think this forum will be very impressed by the redesign.  High quality project - hopefully it gets capitalized!

lets kick this off... I want to see another tower rise!

• Like 2

This one's been vaporware far too long :(

Honestly it doesn't even need to be a skyscraper and in a post-covid age maybe that's what would have a better chance of getting off the ground. There just needs to be something there to front against the park and create more energy in that area.

• Like 1

And, I was noticing that from the renderings of the tower that is actually from the one in Shanghai, if the proportions were correct? this tower would be anywhere from 65 to about 72 stories high, and very close to the height of the Chase Tower.  Of course, it's probably NOT in proportion in the renderings, but wouldn't it be great for it to be a true supertall whenever they secure a wealthy tenant that wants something magnificent again downtown, in true "bigger in Texas" fashion?  And, Houston is the place to build it.  Yes, dreaming is fun in this troubled age we live in.  A truly fun escape from the daily chaos and confusion of the past few years.  Now, if we all think hard and concentrate and pray for it, I just know it will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

They're not making any new blocks on Market Square. If you want the best thing possible on your last remaining block, gotta wait until the cycle returns and investors have a real appetite for Houston again. I'm guessing 2025.

I don't disagree, but sometimes perfect the enemy of good. I'd rather have something that's pretty good go there than nothing go there.

To be honest a major landmark skyscraper would at street level probably not be the kind of thing you want fronting a public square anyways. It's guaranteed to have featureless and austere parking podium with some glass atrium with a security checkpoint. It wouldn't contribute to the urban feel for the person on the sidewalk.

What would be ideal in my opinion would be a hotel or residential that doesn't have an obvious parking podium, that has street fronting GFR facing the square, and has nice architectural features at the small scale like being warm colored brick, having some kind of interesting awning, you get the idea.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I don't disagree, but sometimes perfect the enemy of good. I'd rather have something that's pretty good go there than nothing go there.

To be honest a major landmark skyscraper would at street level probably not be the kind of thing you want fronting a public square anyways. It's guaranteed to have featureless and austere parking podium with some glass atrium with a security checkpoint. It wouldn't contribute to the urban feel for the person on the sidewalk.

What would be ideal in my opinion would be a hotel or residential that doesn't have an obvious parking podium, that has street fronting GFR facing the square, and has nice architectural features at the small scale like being warm colored brick, having some kind of interesting awning, you get the idea.

If you want good architecture and mixed use, you'll have better luck waiting. Both of those things entail risk and require willing investors. "Featureless and austere parking podium" is the kind of thing you get in a rush to just put something there.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to One Market Square: Proposed Office Tower For Block 43
  • 11 months later...

I am a bit disappointed that this continues to get leased up compared to the more interesting spaces around.

what I really want is the tower to start construction. Someone mentioned Hines is involved - is that true? I thought this was completely unrelated to Hines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Avossos said:

I am a bit disappointed that this continues to get leased up compared to the more interesting spaces around.

what I really want is the tower to start construction. Someone mentioned Hines is involved - is that true? I thought this was completely unrelated to Hines.

Yeah, last I checked the owner of this block was suing Hines for cutting off tunnel access during construction of Texas Tower. I hope Hines makes them a nice offer for this lot in the next few years, they've had almost a decade to do something here and have only managed a parking garage. Five other downtown office towers have either been built or broken ground since they've been trying to build this thing.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Yeah, last I checked the owner of this block was suing Hines for cutting off tunnel access during construction of Texas Tower. I hope Hines makes them a nice offer for this lot in the next few years, they've had almost a decade to do something here and have only managed a parking garage. Five other downtown office towers have either been built or broken ground since they've been trying to build this thing.

The Linbeck family owns this property, and they have no relationship to any Hines entity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...