Galveston Intermodal Terminal

• 2 months later...

June 10th (sorry for taking photos while dark)

Work on the terminal has slowed. Due to a complaint about vibrations when construction is going on, they cannot work on anything 50ft to the building next door.

9019853379_17e5b7698d_b.jpg

9022083478_4ea16f6e74_b.jpg

9022087758_edce3c42a4_b.jpg

9022089176_377c97aacb_b.jpg

Skybridge:

9022092226_590b166f2a_b.jpg

June 10th (sorry for taking photos while dark)

Work on the terminal has slowed. Due to a complaint about vibrations when construction is going on, they cannot work on anything 50ft to the building next door.

Wasn't there a thread somewhere asking why Houston did not value historic preservation as much as Galveston?      :huh:

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It looks like they're ready to resume construction of the new transit center on the island:

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/news/local_news/article_04d754ea-9150-11e3-8228-0017a43b2370.html

However, it won't start until this coming June...Hopefully Megabus, Starline, and Amtrak Eagle will all be ready to return to G-Town along with the rail service...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the bldg., @Iron.Tiger...but now I found out about this today, via Galveston Daily News:

"...A way to travel from Galveston to Houston by bus could return if a local group’s proposal is accepted by the Texas Department of Transportation.

The Galveston County Transit District will ask the transportation department to fund an extension of an Island Transit bus route. The extension would send buses to the Bay Area Park and Ride in Houston, where riders could then board buses serving Houston’s METRO transit system...."

SOURCE:

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/communities/galveston/article_f05657a8-99e4-11e3-b89f-001a4bcf6878.html

Apparently they had been deteriorating for years prior track and cars until Ike completely ruined the tracks, and funds were secured last summer. It looks like from previous articles that they do intend on getting them back up and running, just no timetable yet.

It must be certain areas because a lot of the tracks look good, maybe the trolleys themselves were damaged as well? It's true that Ike kind of gave a reason to leave them alone until funding came though. I wonder if they can time them to match the opening of the intermodal station.

My understanding is that the tracks need to be cleaned, as a lot of debris washed/fell into them over the past years following Ike.  That and there are undoubtedly some repairs needed.  I keep hearing that they will return but they are not a high priority project at this time.  Island Transit is also working on getting buses to the I-45 Metro Stop/Park-and-ride near Victory Lakes.  Personally they should do that and also run a shuttle to Downtown Houston Fri-Sun to help people avoid the hassle of driving down to the isle.

It looks like they're ready to resume construction of the new transit center on the island:

http://www.galvestondailynews.com/news/local_news/article_04d754ea-9150-11e3-8228-0017a43b2370.html

However, it won't start until this coming June...Hopefully Megabus, Starline, and Amtrak Eagle will all be ready to return to G-Town along with the rail service...

Amtrak Texas Eagle stops in San Antonio. What is Starline? Also can you give some more details can't read much of the article without being a subscriber.

Amtrak Texas Eagle stops in San Antonio. What is Starline? Also can you give some more details can't read much of the article without being a subscriber.

No, no, no...I'm not talking about the Amtrak train, @Slick.Vik, I'm speaking of the provided bus service to Galveston that it has...and NO, I'm not a subscriber of that online newspaper, but I heard about this news on the transit center, via The Swamplot...I somewhat wish that I did...it just popped up...

No, no, no...I'm not talking about the Amtrak train, @Slick.Vik, I'm speaking of the provided bus service to Galveston that it has...and NO, I'm not a subscriber of that online newspaper, but I heard about this news on the transit center, via The Swamplot...I somewhat wish that I did...it just popped up...

What is Starline? I know the bus service goes up to around league city now, that would be cool if they expanded it to bay area where people could switch to metro if they needed to.

What is Starline? I know the bus service goes up to around league city now, that would be cool if they expanded it to bay area where people could switch to metro if they needed to.

It's a new express bus service like Greyhound and Megabus...and somewhat, a successor to Kerrville's Service...so far, the only route that is available is to Bryan/College Station from Downtown. Just recently, they added a stop near the Cypress/Fairfield area. On Facebook, they informed me that since Galveston's building the transit center...they're actually looking into adding that route.

From what I've read, it looks like Starline in the near future will expand to Corpus Christi, Lufkin, Texarkana, Temple/Killeen, Waco, and most of the Texas towns especially in the eastern half of the state...but don't take my word for it.

Here's the link to Starline's Bus Service:

http://www.travelstarline.com

It's a new express bus service like Greyhound and Megabus...and somewhat, a successor to Kerrville's Service...so far, the only route that is available is to Bryan/College Station from Downtown. Just recently, they added a stop near the Cypress/Fairfield area. On Facebook, they informed me that since Galveston's building the transit center...they're actually looking into adding that route.

From what I've read, it looks like Starline in the near future will expand to Corpus Christi, Lufkin, Texarkana, Temple/Killeen, Waco, and most of the Texas towns especially in the eastern half of the state...but don't take my word for it.

Here's the link to Starline's Bus Service:

http://www.travelstarline.com

Corpus Christi would be interesting to see how their rates compare to greyhound.

• 4 months later...

I was proven 'right'...looks like they'll have this thing built by January--uh-oh...look out, they're almost ready to continue...

http://www.guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000062632

"...the settlement between the Port of Galveston and Allen Flores, the owner of the Fadden Building, which is adjacent to the site of the terminal, was approved on May 29, but Turner Construction still has not fully resumed work on the terminal.

'They have been slow to re-mobilize,' Carrara said, explaining that Turner must complete stabilization of the Fadden Building before work on the terminal can resume. 'It would be really good if they were completed by the end of the year so that Island Transit can move in there, and out of 20th Street (terminal) and out of the way of the Market Street construction.  I have to say I’m not optimistic at this point that that will happen.'..."

• 4 months later...

Great news...pretty soon, some of us that can't drive to the island will get to take a bus to Galveston--Megabus...are you ready???? :)

SOURCE: http://guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000066225

"...Carrara notified the committee that Turner Construction 'is finally moving forward with the (Terminal) project,' stating the company brought in a new concrete subcontractor. The erection of the precast structure is expected to take place in March 2015, said Carrara.

'Things will move rapidly from that point on,' he stated. 'They’re targeting a July completion date.'..."

Great news...pretty soon, some of us that can't drive to the island will get to take a bus to Galveston--Megabus...are you ready???? :)

SOURCE: http://guidrynews.com/story.aspx?id=1000066225

"...Carrara notified the committee that Turner Construction 'is finally moving forward with the (Terminal) project,' stating the company brought in a new concrete subcontractor. The erection of the precast structure is expected to take place in March 2015, said Carrara.

'Things will move rapidly from that point on,' he stated. 'They’re targeting a July completion date.'..."

Awesome!

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived