Northwest Corner Of I-10 & Studewood St.

fwki

Serious tree and brush clearing underway, anybody know what's planned? Hopefully it is DOT fixing that hoser intersection with another lane.

301 Studewood owned by the Houston Parks Board since 2010...part of their "unfunded" linear park plans to connect Stude Park to TC Jester Park...gonna need a ferry or damn good skateboard ramp

The hike/bike trail that is proposed to connect the hike and bike trails at Stude Park to the trails along TC Jester are supposed to be on the south side of White Oak bayou. But I did not think that they had funding for that segment yet. However, it does look like they are clearing a path for a connection of a new segment of trail on the south side of the bayou to connect with the existing MKT trail just before it crossing Studemont.

... it does look like they are clearing a path for a connection of a new segment of trail on the south side of the bayou to connect with the existing MKT trail just before it crossing Studemont.

Yes, I "think" the plan was to connect to MKT as you suggest on the south side and connect to MKT on the north side at the NW end of the bayou trestle next to the wood factory.  Then one could double back on MKT to cross the bayou.  That's what it looks from where the trail stops on the north and starts again on the south bank.  But on the north bank the spring-fed creek, aka weed choked ditch, coming in from the Studewood Addition won't be cheap to span.  That thing rises 20+ feet during the big ones.  That used to be an open creek all the way from 8th street until they put in culverts, buried it and made it a storm sewer.  Some of the old-timers talk about playing in the culvert as kids like a secret tunnel that they could take all the way to the bayou.  I wouldn't be surprised if they finished the job all the way down Threlkeld and built townhomes on top.  Then they could finish the north side trail.

This map http://www.bayougreenways.org/Assets/mapproject2-rev-1-2-13.pdf shows details of the Bayou Greenways White Oak Project.  It looks like where the existing trail ends on the  west side of Stude Park, money from a federal TIGER Grant will extend the trail across the Threlkeld ditch to connect at the west end of the MKT trestle bridge. So new money, new contract explains why they stopped on the north bank.  On the South bank, the new park space shown is across the MKT from where all the clearing has occurred where all the anti-developers were defacing signs.  That property at 301 Studewood is now off the market, so who knows.

For weeks they have been working on the bayou itself building a 500' bulkhead along the cement, sloped south bank, apparently to restrict flow during high water.  Originally the Corp restricted flow at that section using serpentine channeling.  This much larger restriction will likely push the flood water upstream into the newly cleared area like a surge tank or retention area taking stress off the north bank and downstream.  I guess they could make it park-like since it will have a trail, but everything better be screwed down.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but as I live a block from where the Stude Park trail ends suddenly before reaching the Heights bike trail, I was wondering if anyone had an update on this linkage?  Seems like they are spending money to redo an old section of the trail near the new Elan heights building which didn't need to be done, or are they removing that section of the trail?

You can even see the trail that's been worn into the grass by people fording the creek to get to the park/downtown.

post-13804-0-25484300-1422309673_thumb.j

post-13804-0-25484300-1422309673_thumb.j

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but as I live a block from where the Stude Park trail ends suddenly before reaching the Heights bike trail, I was wondering if anyone had an update on this linkage?  Seems like they are spending money to redo an old section of the trail near the new Elan heights building which didn't need to be done, or are they removing that section of the trail?

You can even see the trail that's been worn into the grass by people fording the creek to get to the park/downtown.

"Elan Heights" WTF is this? 

I saw 60% construction plans about 6 months ago for this segment.  Not sure the status but you could email the Council member and ask them to find out what is going on. Likely it is waiting on funding.

http://www.houstonbikeways.org/index.php/bikeways/61-houston-heritage-corridor-bayou-trails-west

Yeah thanks for that.. the segment has disappeared off some maps, like the Bayou Bikeways maps.. just concerned it will never get done.  They seem to consider the bikeways 'connected' now because if you take the Heights bike trail to the south side of I10 and continue it does eventually meet up with the trail that goes past Stude park.

If they could just build this connector it would be much safer for all people using the trail to get to downtown from the heights, they wouldn't have to deal with crossing Taylor or any other streets at all.

• The title was changed to Northwest Corner Studewood & I-10
  • The title was changed to Northwest Corner Of I-10 & Studewood St.

Archived