Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

The decision to build or delay this tower will occur in the summer of 2016. It has been that way since early 2015 after 6 months of sliding oil prices. Some can hope for the best and others can think the worst but the decision regardless won't be made for almost a year from now.

• Like 1

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2015/07/28/chevron-to-cut-1500-jobs-including-almost-1000-in-houston/#34195101=0

Chevron to cut 950 jobs in Houston, 1,500 companywide

Chevron previously had nixed employee growth plans for Houston and halted plans in late 2013 to build a 50-story downtown office tower. Chevron had previously said the tower was being delayed until at least 2016.

“Chevron does not anticipate final approvals for a new office building in Houston in the near term,” Ritchie added. “We remain committed to the new building, however we continue to exercise strong capital discipline when assessing and prioritizing investments.

Edited by DrLan34

We have to have patience.

I think the latest boom we had kind of spoiled us.

Back in 2013/2014, we were getting wind of new projects nearly every week. We were checking the downtown development maps for something new every month. Was the boom we saw in the late 70s to early 80s even like that? (Question to older HAIFers). I'll say the samething I said late last year when oil was dropping.... I still think a lot of these projects will move forward, just on a slower time frame.

• Like 1

I know everyone realizes that since the late 70's early 80's boom we have developed the galleria uptown, The Woodlands, and the energy

corridor, not to mention many other areas like Westchase and greens point. All of this construction is so widespread it doesn't seem

like the boom that mostly occurred downtown back in the last big boom.

Just imagine if Houston wasn't so spread out and you put all of that office construction into downtown.

Think about what that would look like.

The med center and Downtown would more than likely be continuous with Herman Park in the middle.

• Like 3

I think the latest boom we had kind of spoiled us.

Back in 2013/2014, we were getting wind of new projects nearly every week. We were checking the downtown development maps for something new every month. Was the boom we saw in the late 70s to early 80s even like that? (Question to older HAIFers). I'll say the samething I said late last year when oil was dropping.... I still think a lot of these projects will move forward, just on a slower time frame.

I bet it was. I think that time still stands as the biggest boom for downtown. It wasn't as easy then to hear/see or gain access to plans as it is today, but I'm sure just seeing so many large buildings going up was very exciting. Below is two maps of what was proposed during the 80's. Just as much, if not more was in development -- but much larger, and mostly office space. Many projects listed that most never heard of before.

81Map.jpg

82Map.jpg

• Like 9

80 million square feet in that boom, we had up to 17 million square feet under construction at the height this time, over 3-5 years maybe it did approach the 80, plus much is multifamily not 100 percent office anymore.

I read recently that the total Houston area office construction 2010-2016 was 27 million SF, as compared with 80 million in the 80's. Go downtown and look at the buildings that went up then. We are standing on the shoulders of giants.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't believe the article says all the cuts will be downtown. It would make a lot of sense for them to try to consolidate smaller locations around the city into their larger buildings. That's what we're doing. We've already cut two buildings, not only do we reduce payroll, we also reduce real estate costs significantly.

I don't believe the article says all the cuts will be downtown. It would make a lot of sense for them to try to consolidate smaller locations around the city into their larger buildings. That's what we're doing. We've already cut two buildings, not only do we reduce payroll, we also reduce real estate costs significantly.

Not all downtown. Most not downtown actually.

No doubt this is dead. What will be interesting is to look back at this thread years from now and see how the development changed if something goes up years from now. It may have missed this boom but it *may* resurrect in the future. The same for Capitol Tower and International Tower.

It's not always the case but look at 609 Main site. 10 years ago, that was the failed Shamrock Tower. It may have took 10 years but the city got something better in the end thankfully.

• Like 3

No doubt this is dead. What will be interesting is to look back at this thread years from now and see how the development changed if something goes up years from now. It may have missed this boom but it *may* resurrect in the future. The same for Capitol Tower and International Tower.

It's not always the case but look at 609 Main site. 10 years ago, that was the failed Shamrock Tower. It may have took 10 years but the city got something better in the end thankfully.

Capital tower is not dead. They are pouring the foundation are in lease discussions.

Not a good idea to speculate.

• Like 3

Capitol Tower is a whole different type of critter, in part because Skanska is an integrated operation, and in part because of its location.  Also, while there certainly are a lot of cranes downtown, there isn't really that much office space being built - it's mostly residential.  The only two big ones that are going up now are 1111 Travis, which Hilcorp is building for itself, and 609 Main.  Of the other four commercial sites announced but yet to start on the July map, Chevron is toast for the time being, as is 6 Houston (again), and 800 Bell is going to take a very special type of anchor tenant because of its distance from pretty much everything except Chevron, residential, and the remnants of the Parking District... leaving Capitol Tower. 

Capital tower is not dead. They are pouring the foundation are in lease discussions.

Not a good idea to speculate.

Wasn't speculating - just didn't know they were in discussions with anyone.

I'm honestly rooting for it as it cuts off my tunnel access to Chase Tower.

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

No way this project is getting out of the ground by then. Oil prices aren't expected to recover in 2016 and even if they DID, they're not going to move dirt the moment oil tops $70 or $80 a barrel. I suspect this project is either DOA or still 5+ years away and will likely be reduced in size. I'm talking out my a $ $ currently, I admit, but I suspect that's what will happen.

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

No way this project is getting out of the ground by then. Oil prices aren't expected to recover in 2016 and even if they DID, they're not going to move dirt the moment oil tops $70 or $80 a barrel. I suspect this project is either DOA or still 5+ years away and will likely be reduced in size. I'm talking out my a $ $ currently, I admit, but I suspect that's what will happen.

I mean, they did submit the extension June 29, 2015. Maybe you're right but it just caught my eye.

I mean, they did submit the extension June 29, 2015. Maybe you're right but it just caught my eye.

As H-TownChris2 suggested, it seems pretty obvious that the project is not DOA.  If it were DOA, they would not be wasting their time filing for extensions with the FAA.  Also noteworthy:  they are only allowed one extension.  If they don't start construction by September 2016, they will have to start over with the FAA.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

My guess is that Chevron saw the cheap oil days coming. Cheap oil means increased downstream opportunities. Chevron builds new refineries to capitalize on cheap oil and gas (temporarily redirecting capital spending). Hence, delay in non-income producing sunk cost projects.

• Like 2