Chevron Tower For Downtown At 1600 Louisiana St.

tangledwoods

Im betting third tallest in downtown, dont think itll be taller than Transco, but I hope it is!

I agree. Has to be downtown's third tallest. But even that surprises me. I will have to look at the heights of the others. There must be a big drop from Wells Fargo to this, I guess.

Edited by Dakota79

I agree. Has to be downtown's third tallest. But even that surprises me. I will have to look at the heights of the others. There must be a big drop from Wells Fargo to this, I guess.

seems like it used to be 832', so almost 170' difference. still, it would be Houstons only 800 footer, and 100' taller than the next tallest building on the south side.

Hopefully Chevron doesn't decide to just lease out all of 800 Bell post renovation.  With the tunnel connection, it would be relatively connected to their other towers and still give them a bit of the benefits of a campus without having to pony up the capital for a new tower.

• Like 1

Does not sound good.  It may be those skyscrapers that never get built.  Last year it made national news and bring lots jobs to Houston.  Chevron was so committed to Houston.  Now it sits as a piece of grass. :(

what are you talking about? Chevron has leased damn near 400,000 SF in Houston over the past 18 months or so due to the amount of people they are hiring/transerring. their committment to Houston is obvious and it's pretty ridiculous to queston that commitment simply b/c current market conditions are extremely unfavorable for them to commit a bunch of capital to a new and expensive office building. have a little more gratitude that Houston has a behemoth like Chevron on its side.

• Like 8

Does not sound good.  It may be those skyscrapers that never get built.  Last year it made national news and bring lots jobs to Houston.  Chevron was so committed to Houston.  Now it sits as a piece of grass. :(

My understanding is that the employees were relocated here anyway.  They just aren't in a shinny new building.  

Sig is right that Chevron remains committed to Houston, tower or no tower, but I think the $12 million they were given by Texas taxpayers to relocate jobs here (which already made financial sense) is ample gratitude. Lack of gratitude to behemoths with $220 billion in annual revenue is probably not something weighing on most consciences.

Thanks for the input I appreciated it.  Hopefully it will get built.  With 800 Bell (ExxonMobile) starting construction next year with tunnel access and a nice building I have my doubts.  A friend of mine transferred from SFO by Chevron last year.  He has heard nothing about construction of this building and is a engineer.  He has two more years to retire and loves it here and may stay.  Hopefully I'm wrong. :P      

Well, I have some good news and some not as good news...

The not so good news: there is no target start time on the schedule.  As previously mentioned, the hold up is through Chevron as Skanska is more than ready to get this project going.

The good news: The project has been increased to 52 stories.  Those 52 stories are ON TOP of the 6 story podium so 58 stories in total.  My connection said that they were told it would be the third tallest building in town but couldn't remember if it was downtown or Houston in general.  Sorry to not have more info on this but things are definitely in motion.  Just not as far along as most probably want!

Thanks Brijon.  Great update!

Maybe it will end up being the third tallest building in Texas!

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...