53-Story Office Tower Planned For Midland

Urbannizer

I agree that this is probably the nicest tower going up in Texas right now. Much better design than anything in Houston. Sad to see that even in boom time Houston, designs are so conservative. And, gosh, if Midland can do it, you'd think Houston could step it up! Sounds like it's now 58 stories.

I would say even Chevron's tower is better than this one. Sure Midland's tower is taller, but it's just as boxy as Chevron's if not more(Chevron has that groove on the north side  B)). Another thing is location, Chevron's tower is probably going to be the third tallest tower downtown, with very large floor-plates since its 1.7 mil in 50 stories, which I feel will help weigh down the skyline in the south, when looking from the West (if that makes any sense whatsoever). Their's is just the tallest tower they could slap down in Midland because even a 30 story tower would make a huge mark on the skyline. Nothing to be envious of. 

I like the Midland Tower. I don't care if it's a box. I think the diagonal pattern is kind of cool. I even love how this tower (if built) will be this lone, iconic, isolated, skyline dominating tower. It will grab all the attention for miles in every direction - just like Williams tower in Uptown. It's a great and unusual effect. I hope they build this tower.

But there is no question that there are better towers with more interesting, less predictable shapes and design currently going up or proposed in Houston right now. 

Sure, the Pickard Chilton designs are nice-ish, but, in my opinion, Midland's project is much more exciting. I like the design of the tower, but the public spaces (most of them) are where the project is impressive. The green roof that emerges from ground level to cover the first floor street level "retail," the plaza and water feature, and the connection (of much of it) to the street are wonderful. The vertical mix of uses is innovative for this part of the world. The openness of the ground floor(s) looks inviting. I'm not so sure about the sunken ground floor, though - I never think sunken first floors work.

The "X" facade design is cool. Reminds me of the Hearst Tower in NYC, which is one of my favs.

I think Pickard Chilton is fine and his buildings going up in Houston are nice. But, they're boring and predictable. They're conservative and don't add anything to the street level (see BG Place - horrible).

I expect Texas oil executives in 2013 to choose boring architecture. Pickard Chilton and Gensler are probably the best of the predictable corporate design firms. But, when a city like Midland, who's identity is oil, steps it up over Houston in architecture, it makes me question whether it is the oil companies that are so conservative and boring or if it's just Houston.

I'm sad no company/developer in Houston has, in one of the richest periods in its history, chosen to create something groundbreaking architecturally. The city that used to be known for thinking out of the box is now so stale design-wise. There are some small exceptions. But, if in boom time, design in Houston is this so-so, will it ever see large-scale, design-forward, exciting architecture again?

We should expect more from our city and our development community (see Marvy Finger, Jonathan Farb, Hines, Hanover, Trammel Crow, Alliance, Gables, Linbeck, Frank Liu, Greenberg,... even Wulfe, Midway, and PMRG that are doing decent-ish work).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

"Energy Tower rumored to become two smaller towers"

http://www.mrt.com/business/article_da8d0ba2-b2e3-11e3-bda5-0019bb2963f4.html

Can't say I find that particularly surprising, since  it will let them develop to the extent demand for space grows.  I liked the taller design, but it seems a bit much for a market the size of Midland.  What I disliked about the tower proposal was the huge vacant plaza surrounding it, so two shorter buildings can better integrate the space.  

• 5 months later...

Our commitment to Midland, specifically Downtown Midland, remains unshakable,” the letter states. “We are already implementing much of what we learned during the Energy Tower process to modernize and improve the infrastructure and operations at our existing properties to maximize our tenants’ experience.”

Yea you gotta clean your house first before adding furniture.

• 6 months later...

Less than three months later, in December, a new proposal emerged for the site: A mixed use project with a hotel, condos, apartments and office space plus improvements to the existing plaza. 

http://www.mrt.com/business/article_f32bfaa4-7a9a-11e4-a68d-4fcb11017c4f.html

Today, the Midland Development Board approved that plan for the site

http://www.newswest9.com/story/28744512/midland-development-board-approves-hotel-santa-rita

• 1 year later...

Between late 2015 & early 2016, the county courthouse was demolished.

In the interim Midland's City Council has had to defer proof of financing and construction drawings for the project four times, the latest in January.

As of then, terms stated that construction was to begin by February 28th of this year and be complete by March 2019. 

The adjacent building on the block is being demolished to make way for the new convention center, which is also slated for completion in 2019.

• The title was changed to 53-Story Office Tower Planned For Midland

Archived