United to lease space in new Downtown high-rise

United Airlines is the latest tenant to announce plans to lease space in a 48-story office high-rise going up on Main Street in downtown Houston.

The Chicago-based airline said Thursday that it will occupy about 225,000 square feet at the new building, 609 Main, at Texas Avenue. The airline has about 1,600 employees based in Houston and currently offices at 1600 Smith, a 1980s-era high-rise downtown.

• Like 3

wow so their leasing up almost 1/5th of the total leasing space in the building? That is huge for Hines, I hoped that this building could've attracted a tenant in another area/city instead of moving tenants around in downtown but this is awesome news for hines. Might move the time table for the chron building more then we even know it

• Like 4

I scanned the info for the announcement of the Chicago HQ moving here. No such luck.

I hope there aren't any plans to renovate the exteriors of the old Cullen Center.

I can confirm that United's current space will be Chevron. Their tower won't happen soon

• Like 1

There more employees here in Houston then Chicago.  They are closing the reservation offices in HNL and DTW.  Agents have to move to Chicago or Houston or work from home.  United still owns a huge building off the beltway on the other side Greenspoint mall.  I never thought they would rent 609 Main.  Hope they name it United Airlines Center.

Last time I flew United I was leaving Lake Tahoe flying out of Reno and connecting in San Francisco on the way back to Houston. The plane had issues, we had to get off, it was delayed 3 hours, finally got to San Fran, missed the connecting flight and the next available flight to Houston wasn't for like 8 hours, then that flight was delayed 2 hours.... I haven't flown United since...

Anyway, I'm glad 609 is getting leased up.

Last time I flew United I was leaving Lake Tahoe flying out of Reno and connecting in San Francisco on the way back to Houston. The plane had issues, we had to get off, it was delayed 3 hours, finally got to San Fran, missed the connecting flight and the next available flight to Houston wasn't for like 8 hours, then that flight was delayed 2 hours.... I haven't flown United since...

United has 6,000 flights a day and this month United is number 1 for one time arrivals.  Ahead of DL,WN and AA.  Last year Forbes ranked United 8th place now it is 2.   Things are finally looking good.  I defend them since I'm Premier and they treat me very nice.

Any carrier could have delay issues. More flights they have, more delays and complaints there will be.

• Like 1

I could go onto an off topic rant about how each of the TTA mergers leading to today's UA seems to have taken on the worst attributes of each airline during the ages it took for the rat to get through the snake...

Instead, I'll just say that I'm encouraged by this expression of UA's commitment to maintaining a major corporate presence here.

OTOH, Chevron going into UA's 1600 Smith space probably puts a pretty long term deep freeze on any new Chevron tower.