I find it interesting that we still can see no signs of any tunnel connections.  The floor plans released on the web site don't show the tunnel level (perhaps intentionally?), either.  I wonder if they are still trying to make arrangements for how to connect it to the tunnel system?  Or maybe they punch the hole through the wall later in the construction timeline?

Thats some quite of bit of hefty shoring on the ride side. I like these photos guys, keep em coming!

It's interesting to see how the tub that they built doesn't appear to be bearing any of the vertical load of the building. I would guess that they beefed it up as much as they did for stabilization once all that weight is pushing down in the middle of it, and all the soil away from the property needs to stay where it is.

But I'm just guessing, I'd like to know more.

You know... I've been thinking its a shame this building is just 1 block away from the biggest/tallest building Downtown.  Yes we'll see 609 often enough in various angles on the skyline, but the "iconic" Houston shot from Eleanor Tinsley Park will not have said building visible.

Personally I'm not a big fan of that view because the 40-50 floor towers along Smith Street typically obscure many of the other buildings in Downtown.

(by the way: thanks for the continual photo updates folks - its nice to see for those of us who do not work/live etc. in the central city)

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

You know... I've been thinking its a shame this building is just 1 block away from the biggest/tallest building Downtown. Yes we'll see 609 often enough in various angles on the skyline, but the "iconic" Houston shot from Eleanor Tinsley Park will not have said building visible.

Personally I'm not a big fan of that view because the 40-50 floor towers along Smith Street typically obscure many of the other buildings in Downtown.

(by the way: thanks for the continual photo updates folks - its nice to see for those of us who do not work/live etc. in the central city)

I get your point, and agree in a sense. I almost wish this was built in Uptown or somewhere it would stand out a little more, but you should be able to see the top of this tower from the west side view.

It would look WAY out of place in midtown. I don't know that I'd want this along Post Oak either. It has a very downtown/corporate look to it. 

I just wonder if this building will be the capstone to this building boom---much like Heritage Plaza was in 1989. The last signature tower if you will before everything folds up due to collapsing oil prices.

It would look WAY out of place in midtown. I don't know that I'd want this along Post Oak either. It has a very downtown/corporate look to it.

I just wonder if this building will be the capstone to this building boom---much like Heritage Plaza was in 1989. The last signature tower if you will before everything folds up due to collapsing oil prices.

The last signature tower in this building boom ? It's the first and only signature tower to be built in this building boom . . .

• Like 1

The only tower, you mean? Hillcorp doesnt count.

The last signature tower in this building boom ? It's the first and only signature tower to be built in this building boom . . .

Not quite - You've got Hillcorp / Capitol Tower / 800 Bell Reno / Chevron possibly... They have not 'overbuilt' downtown like the 80s.

• Like 1

The only tower, you mean? Hillcorp doesnt count.

Not quite - You've got Hillcorp / Capitol Tower / 800 Bell Reno / Chevron possibly... They have not 'overbuilt' downtown like the 80s.

The key word is SIGNATURE. I don't think Hillcorp is considered a signature tower. I don't think Capital Tower is considered a signature tower, it's just a box and it hasn't broke ground yet. 800 Bell is a renovation and Chevron is a proposal. Like I said this building is the one and only SIGNATURE tower to be built so far in this boom. There have been lots of buildings built during this boom lots of office space but this is the only tower that I think can be considered as Signature.

• Like 5

The key word is SIGNATURE. I don't think Hillcorp is considered a signature tower. I don't think Capital Tower is considered a signature tower, it's just a box and it hasn't broke ground yet. 800 Bell is a renovation and Chevron is a proposal. Like I said this building is the one and only SIGNATURE tower to be built so far in this boom. There have been lots of buildings built during this boom lots of office space but this is the only tower that I think can be considered as Signature.

Signature is subjective. This design is recycled from two other projects from the architect. While it is a nice, new, and a clean design it's certainly not going to be mentioned in any award ceremonies or one for the history books... If anything it is a flag (so to speak), that Houston has a sliver of demand for ultra elite office space (really a standard seen world wide in the financial capitals). I know most buidings going up right now are offering luxury office space but not quite on this platform. It's a milestone for our city. Not too sure about SIGNATURE... Edited by Montrose1100