Is it?

It's perfectly fine, but Heritage Plaza *defines* our skyline in a way this just won't.

I actually think One Park Place is a more important building that 609 Main. It's not a particularly inspiring piece of architecture, but it pushed the skyline east, defined that portion of downtown, and re-established residential skyscrapers a viable reality downtown.

609 Main is just a pretty, yet bland, office tower in a sea of similar buildings.

Not sure I agree with this.. Thought I guess opinions are what make us unique.

OPP was an important building but we were talking about architectural/beauty of the building. It's nothing super crazy, but bland? it's very sleek, elegant, and refined, and IMO will be a timeless classic. I don't know of any other abstract polygon towers in Houston, so I'm not sure where the "sea of similar buildings" remark comes from. It has many unique angles distinguishing it from the mostly boxy downtown towers.

• Like 1

Pennzoil. Much purer expression of abstract polygons.

609 Main is pretty similar to Hines' other recent tower on Main Street. It's a relatively narrow tower offset to one side with the rest of the block taken up by parking garage. I do think it will overall be a more elegant design, but I don't know that it's anything terribly unique.

• Like 2

This is the most significant building since Heritage Plaza.

True if you change "building" to "office tower," but then, that's not saying much.

There are buildings that make you gasp and there is everything else. This is among the best of everything else. We all gasped when the rendering for Hotel Alessandra came out, but not when this did.

Edited by H-Town Man

Are y'all intentionally leaving 1500 smith out of the picture?

Anyways, this new tower will be a great addition, but it's nothing to put in the history books.

Edit: Calpine Center was a great addition to the western skyline, a nice filler in between the Chase Tower & lyric Center.

Edited by Montrose1100

Are y'all intentionally leaving 1500 smith out of the picture?

Anyways, this new tower will be a great addition, but it's nothing to put in the history books.

Edit: Calpine Center was a great addition to the western skyline, a nice filler in between the Chase Tower & lyric Center.

i think you mean 1500 Louisiana. great tower. i love how it plays off the design of 1400 Smith. Pelli did a fantastic job, but i think this tower overall (set in the skyline) is more striking. my favorite part of the Chevron complex is the skybridge.. lol.

• Like 1

I've been out of town for most of the last month, so I haven't been able to follow any of these developments in person lately.  However, I have been watching the construction camera.

I noticed yesterday they started digging what looks like a hole in the side of the wall towards the Magnolia Hotel.  Might this be a tunnel connection?  Has anyone who's been on top of the Binz Garage been able to see what they might be doing there?

See the indicated area here:

XZpqP72.png

• Like 2

-                                                                                                                             

Edited by Timoric

I took another couple of pics on Wednesday when I went by the area, but the forum was redirecting me to a page that made it look like the domain expired. Looks like others were able to post no problem. Very odd. I guess that I forgot that I went by on Monday, so they are probably not all that different.

It is interesting that they appear to be leaving the two basement walls of the Texas Tower in place that are up against the Texas/Fannin corner. You can see that they have drilled holes and poured reinforced concrete pillars behind it the old walls. Maybe they are using them temporarily as concrete forms, but I'm just guessing.

Anyway. Here are the Wednesday pics.

200cqj4.jpg

ndl09.jpg

• Like 3

I'm in Chicago right now and I've gotta say this building could easily be one of the best ones here. Houston has nothing on chi town tho, this city is amazing.

I trust that we will get there. I hear it everyday that people are excited about this city. That hasn't been the norm before, now it is. So cool.

I think we can take a lot of good lessons from Chicago. I took love that city

• Like 1

14507473069_7444319e34_h.jpg

2014-07-19 12.33.07 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14671108066_ad680a19a4_h.jpg

2014-07-19 12.33.11 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14693846262_50f4eab830_h.jpg

2014-07-19 12.40.16 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Video coming later tonight.

The video is only in 360p right now since I just uploaded... the quality should improve soon to 1080p and 4k soon.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 4