Grand Texas Theme Park At 23065 Highway 242

I don't know how long this has been in the works, CityKid stumbled across this. The official name for the theme park is 'Grand Texas'.

The developers of Grand Texas, a western theme park set to open in south Tomball in the Spring (2010), are hopeful their project will accomplish many goals: family friendliness, community gathering, education and fun.

The wooded property, located on 100 acres on Holderrieth near its intersection with FM 2978, is just inside city limits. The Potpourri, in a previous story, stated the property was just outside city limits.

The land is currently in the engineering phase, then must be closed on before it can go through rezoning. It is currently zoned for SF-6, which would open it up for development of approximately 600 homes. Before changes can be made to the zoning ordinance to reflect a theme park, there must be two public hearings and two recorded votes, which are not yet scheduled.

Monty Galland, one of the developers of the property, said he hopes Grand Texas will be a place for families and kids of all ages to to experience the grandeur of the old west and Texas in the 1800s. He and his wife moved to the area from California five years ago, when they fell in love with Texas, its people, and the lifestyle.

“Here, there’s an enjoyment in the simple pleasures, and that’s really what (Grand Texas) is about,” he said.

Grand Texas is supposed to consist of several areas, including Boomtown, an indoor entertainment center with rock climbing, a mechanical bull, a giant arcade and other activities; Flint Ranch, an agriculture based play area with pony rides, petting zoos, pig races, hay pavilions, peewee rodeo and exhibits on farming and ranching; and Gunslingers, a state of the art, family friendly paintball facility with four themed fields made out of movie sets and one competition, airball field as well as target ranges. Galland is hopeful these areas, which will incorporate rail and oil history as well, will open in April 2010.

According to the website, Grand Texas also is to boast Wild Texas Frontier, an island filled with activities for all ages, including high ropes courses that traverse a river, canoeing, catch & release fishing, and a giant maze; and The Mansion, a reception hall reminiscent of the Texas State Governors Mansion, which can be used for a wedding reception of up to 400 guests or more intimate business functions. Galland hopes these parts of the park will open within a year of the park’s projected opening in Spring 2010.

There is to be no admission fee into the park, though some activities will have ticket charges.

Galland said he wants one of the park’s major focuses to be on education and field trips for children, especially at Flint Ranch, where agriculture exhibits will take children from “the egg to the chicken.”

“I believe when you understand cycles of life, you have a better understanding of life in general,” he said.

He is hopeful the park will be involved in local FFA programs, perhaps providing opportunities for small animals to be housed.

So far, he and his wife say they have received positive comments on the project from their web site, www.grandtx.com. Comments have come from teachers, thrilled at the possibilities of future field trips.

Some residents, he said, have expressed concern about traffic and noise, but he believes those will not be issues. He said there is to be approximately 120 feet of forest space surrounding the park, and he would like to maintain as much forest and green space within the park as possible, to be “green” and also keep the old Texas atmosphere.

more here:

Tomball Popturri

Edited by sevfiv
copyright
  • Like 4

"No admission fee for the park"? That sounds bad already. I remember when the Houston Zoo was free, and the kind of people that attracted. If something is good, it's worth charging for. Helps keep the crazies out, too (to an extent...).

• Like 4

"No admission fee for the park"? That sounds bad already. I remember when the Houston Zoo was free, and the kind of people that attracted. If something is good, it's worth charging for. Helps keep the crazies out, too (to an extent...).

Hmmm...they're pretty far away from inner city poverty up there, surrounded by suburbs, there won't be any public transportation to access it, and it will be private property. Consider the kind of people that are attracted to a suburban mall like Willowbrook Mall, Baybrook Mall, or The Woodlands Mall, then consider that they're probably going to be marketing pretty intensively to middle-aged white fuddy-duddies with small children whose life experiences are insufficient for them to realize how lame the place is.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 6

I think you missed a critical caveat.

There is to be no admission fee into the park, though some activities will have ticket charges.

Their description seems like they want to be several of those entertainment complexes all in one. You KNOW there will be charges.

• Like 3

I think you missed a critical caveat.

Their description seems like they want to be several of those entertainment complexes all in one. You KNOW there will be charges.

i think they mean that your free to roam around the theme park, but most, if not all, activities will require charges....

Great, just what we need, a park designed for people who want to see the biggest Texas stereotype of all...

Though, if this does end up being a tourist attraction, it will be good for the tourists who come to the

Houston Metro and want the traditional Texas stereotype.

• Like 1

It'll have rope courses and zip lines that'll go through the woods and catch and release fishing, a giant maze, and obstacle courses. Complete with a Texas theme, Galland says they'll break ground in the fall and open next April.

-Abc13

• Like 1

Listed under their "Participation" section is a subsection for "Investors." Sure seems like a lof of cheerleading and convincing is needed for such a unique development. It would be cool if it gets built and is actually successful, but this makes me skeptical.

To expedite the development of Grand Texas, for a limited time, a unique and exciting investment structure has been developed. To get the funding for Grand Texas as rapidly as possible, Grand Texas has developed an incredible structure that provides investors an annual 12% return, paid in cash, quarterly. Investors participate in GTProp, LP, the limited partnership that owns the Grand Texas site.

From an investment standpoint, GTProp is an incredible opportunity to earn a consistent cash return of 12% per year, paid quarterly for a period of at least 3 years. GTProp owns the Grand Texas site. Grand Texas is being developed in a manner that assures rent payments and high returns. The entire investment of between $5 million and $6 million is secured by a development that when complete will be valued at over $20 million dollars with $12 million in equity.

There is a minimum investment of $200,000 required (although fractional interests may be available allowing investments of as little as $50,000). This investment may be held in a self directed IRA, created from a 401(k), traditional or Roth IRA, SEP or other tax deferred account.

The investment is a hard asset that acts as a hedge against inflation. The investment is here, in the Houston area. You can watch the property develop and grow over time, unlike a paper investment in a hedge fund or derivative. The land alone has been valued as high as $7 million or more, and although we are purchasing the land for $2,350,000, the trust deed that was secured by the property prior to foreclosure was $5,300,000.

The investment is FUN, with initial investors in GTProp forever regarded as Founders of Grand Texas. Initial investors will be honored on the Founders Wall in Town Hall with a plaque of appreciation, receive free lifetime access for themselves and family (with some restrictions) to Wild Texas Frontier and Flint Ranch, and enjoy an annual barbecue at Grand Texas once a year, honoring the trailblazers that facilitated Grand Texas, and to commemorate its opening.

Grand Texas is going to be around for a long time and is going to be an important part of the northwest Houston area. Don’t regret not being a part of the biggest addition to the northwest Houston area since the railroad. Be a part of it!

http://www.grandtx.com/Earn_12__Annually_.html

Here's to them getting their investors. Cheers

Interesting pitch, but the claim of arbitrage on the land is misleading.

The largely unreported local real estate bust, worse than any of the others, is the glut in the supply of vacant developed lots for single-family housing. Since the development of new subdivisions has cratered, demand for large tracts of suburban land has dried up almost completely. It'll be a long while before prices stabilize, and I'm not sure that we'll ever again see such a frenetic land market as would support the old valuations.

Their appeal to the investors' ego is a nice touch, though. They'll probably field a lot of inquiries because of that.

• Like 2

Interesting pitch, but the claim of arbitrage on the land is misleading.

The largely unreported local real estate bust, worse than any of the others, is the glut in the supply of vacant developed lots for single-family housing.  Since the development of new subdivisions has cratered, demand for large tracts of suburban land has dried up almost completely.  It'll be a long while before prices stabilize, and I'm not sure that we'll ever again see such a frenetic land market as would support the old valuations.

Their appeal to the investors' ego is a nice touch, though.  They'll probably field a lot of inquiries because of that.

I'll believe it when I see it. For about 20 years there were rumors of Disney building a theme park around that same area. 

• Like 1

I'll believe it when I see it. For about 20 years there were rumors of Disney building a theme park around that same area. 

I remember something like that on a smaller scale that had free admission and ticketed attractions.

It was called Fame City. . .

It will start off strong, and eventually. . . well, I hope it does better. We'll see I guess.

To be fair, this sounds like it's less than a tenth of the size of Disney World. For this to get built wouldn't be a total surprise to me. Not a very dramatic project in my opinion. Nice place but nothing to get too excited about.

• Like 1

To be fair, this sounds like it's less than a tenth of the size of Disney World. For this to get built wouldn't be a total surprise to me. Not a very dramatic project in my opinion. Nice place but nothing to get too excited about.

Yeah, they used the term "theme park" to build a sense of false expectations. I mean paint ball, canoeing, etc sounds very cheap. No huge themed rides of anything. Especially when the construction starts this fall and opens a short 6 months later.

When I think of what a "theme park" is, EarthQuest is more like it, and as Matt said, a Disney/Six Flags setup. ^_^

This, not so much. <_<

• Like 1

Some of you guys are total Debby Downers.

Do you guys have kids?

I think it is still great to have another entertainment option as you mentioned.

But maybe it was the way the local news promoting and teasing it to be a "theme park". Sound like more of a sports/entertainment complex.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are total Debby Downers.

Do you guys have kids?

Trust me, when you(just an example) or somebody else takes their kid here w/o telling them what it really is, as puma mentioned,

their going to be the Debby Downers. Just imagine, "Let's go to the theme park kids!" , and then they find out there's no wooden roller coasters,

they are going to be disappointed.

Edited by citizen4rmptown
  • Like 2

Trust me, when you(just an example) or somebody else takes their kid here w/o telling them what it really is, as puma mentioned,

their going to be the Debby Downers. Just imagine, "Let's go to the theme park kids!" , and then they find out there's no wooden roller coasters,

they are going to be disappointed.

I agree, I thought it would be more like a Sixflags. But this is an attraction, and its needed in the Houston area!

• Like 1

grand-texas-site.jpg

A California real estate agent who relocated to The Woodlands 5 years ago has plans to build a “Texas”-themed theme park on a foreclosed and forested site in Tomball currently zoned as a subdivision. The 100-acre attraction, which developer and EZ Realty broker Monty Galland envisions as “a combination of an adventure park, museum, retail center and agricultural classroom,” will strive to encompass and celebrate “all that is Texas, Texas History and the Old West.”

He plans to open the first phase of the park at 11598 Holderrieth Rd., between the railroad tracks and FM 2978, by next April. This would include an indoor entertainment center with rock climbing and a mechanical bull, a play area with pony rides and petting zoos, and a “family-friendly” paintball facility. Planned for the following year:

Wild Texas Frontier, an island filled with activities for all ages, including high ropes courses that traverse a river, canoeing, catch & release fishing, and a giant maze; and The Mansion, a reception hall reminiscent of the Texas State Governors Mansion, which can be used for a wedding reception of up to 400 guests or more intimate business functions.

Swamplot

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reminds me a little of the original Knotts Berry Farm in Southern California. It has grown to include everything imaginable. Actually, I saw this topic discussed on KVIA El Paso several weeks ago when the reporter interviewed the mayor of Tomball about it.