Historic Houston Drive-In Theaters

Ashikaga

I'm now 47. When I was between 4 and 6 years old I lived in Houston. I remember my parents and I going to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre, which closed down many years ago. I found out that it was located at 205 Winkler Drive at Telephone Road. Does anyone out there have any information about it?

Chet Cuccia

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked on a movie database. There were a LOT of drive-ins around Houston.

Airline Drive-In 4507 Airline Houston

Boulevard Drive-In Houston

Chocolate-Bayou Drive-In Houston

Diamond Drive-In Houston

Epson Drive-In Houston

Gulfway Drive-In 1,2 9025 Wald Houston

Hempstead Drive-In Houston

Hi-Nabor Drive-In Houston

Irvington Drive-In 8411 Irvington Houston

King Center Drive-In 6400 South Park Houston

Market Street Drive-In Houston

McLeandon Triple 11991 S Main Houston

Parkway Drive-In Houston

Post Oak Drive-In 1255 N Post Oak Houston

Pussycat Drive-In Houston

Sharpstown Drive-In Houston

Shepherd Road Drive-In Houston

South Main Drive-In Houston

Sunnyside Drive-In Houston

Telephone Road Drive-In I & II 11020 Telephone Houston

Texas Drive-In Houston

Thunderbird Drive-In Houston

Tidwell Drive-In 9603 Homestead Houston

Trail Drive-In Houston

Triple Drive-In 1,2 & 3 Houston

Winkler Drive-In Houston

Humble Drive-In * 59 Humble

Ceder Drive-In Baytown

Decker Drive-In Baytown

Colonial Drive-In La Porte

Eagle Drive-In Pasadena

Pasadena Drive-In Pasadena

Red Bluff Drive-In Pasadena

Town and Country Drive-In 4716 Red Bluff Pasadena

Oleander Drive-In Galveston

Bayou Drive-In La Marque

Tradewinds Drive-In Texas City

Alvin Drive-In Alvin

Hi-Y Drive-In Conroe

I checked on a movie database.  There were a LOT of drive-ins around Houston.

Boulevard Drive-In  Houston

Chocolate-Bayou Drive-In  Houston

Diamond Drive-In  Houston

Epson Drive-In  Houston

Hempstead Drive-In  Houston

Hi-Nabor Drive-In  Houston

Market Street Drive-In  Houston

Parkway Drive-In  Houston

Pussycat Drive-In  Houston

Sharpstown Drive-In  Houston

Shepherd Road Drive-In  Houston

South Main Drive-In  Houston

Sunnyside Drive-In  Houston

Texas Drive-In  Houston

Thunderbird Drive-In  Houston

Trail Drive-In  Houston

Triple Drive-In 1,2 & 3  Houston

Winkler Drive-In  Houston

Ceder Drive-In  Baytown

Decker Drive-In  Baytown

Colonial Drive-In  La Porte

Eagle Drive-In  Pasadena

Pasadena Drive-In  Pasadena

Red Bluff Drive-In  Pasadena

Oleander Drive-In  Galveston

Bayou Drive-In  La Marque

Tradewinds Drive-In  Texas City

Alvin Drive-In  Alvin

Hi-Y Drive-In  Conroe

Yes, you consulted an excellent data base. I always look at "Drive-Ins.Com." It has most, if not all, of those drive-in theatres that you listed. But one person on the forum brought my attention to a photo taken many years ago of Gulfgate Shopping Center (now Gulfgate Mall). Just behind the shopping center is a drive-in theatre. That was the Winkler! But I didn't know that it was right next to IH-45 (Gulf Freeway). Now, if I could find someone who has a photo of it up close. Thank you for the information that you listed.

Chet Cuccia

there is still an operating drive in movie theater in Gatesville, about 30 miles north of killeen or 230 miles West to Northwest of Houston.

I went there in 2001 and it was pretty trashy though... the screen is very hard to see until it gets dark because of the paint peeling off, and the concession stand should be shut down by the health inspector.

Yes, you consulted an excellent data base.  I always look at "Drive-Ins.Com."  It has most, if not all, of those drive-in theatres that you listed.  But one person on the forum brought my attention to a photo taken many years ago of Gulfgate Shopping Center (now Gulfgate Mall).  Just behind the shopping center is a drive-in theatre.  That was the Winkler!  But I didn't know that it was right next to IH-45 (Gulf Freeway).  Now, if I could find someone who has a photo of it up close.  Thank you for the information that you listed.

Chet Cuccia

I thought the Winkler was near Telephone and Winkler, instead of by Gulfgate.

I thought the Winkler was near Telephone and Winkler, instead of by Gulfgate.

Subdude,

If you will look at the photo that you posted under "The East End" back on 7/6/2005, you will see a drive-in theatre at the top of the photo of Gulfgate. That was the Winkler Drive-In. It is almost, but not right at, the intersection of Winkler Drive and Telephone Road.

I remember my parents and I going there when we lived in Houston from 1962-64. Every time we went I always ended up falling asleep in the back seat of the car, and my dad carrying me into the house when we would arrive at home. I've been trying to find out information about it for at least the past six months. I've been hoping for a photo, so an aerial photo is better than none at all. It would still be excellent if someone out there can come up with a ground photo of the Winkler Drive-In.

Chet Cuccia

• 1 month later...
Subdude,

If you will look at the photo that you posted under "The East End" back on 7/6/2005, you will see a drive-in theatre at the top of the photo of Gulfgate.  That was the Winkler Drive-In.  It is almost, but not right at, the intersection of Winkler Drive and Telephone Road. 

I remember my parents and I going there when we lived in Houston from 1962-64.  Every time we went I always ended up falling asleep in the back seat of the car, and my dad carrying me into the house when we would arrive at home.  I've been trying to find out information about it for at least the past six months.  I've been hoping for a photo, so an aerial photo is better than none at all.  It would still be excellent if someone out there can come up with a ground photo of the Winkler Drive-In.

Chet Cuccia

I was looking on GoogleEarth.Ink. I entered Winkler Drive at Woodridge. On the spot of land where the Winkler Drive-In Theatre was located I saw a business. It was a large building with a big parking lot. The front of the building faces Interstate 45. Can someone out there tell me what that business is?

I was looking on GoogleEarth.Ink.  I entered Winkler Drive at Woodridge.  On the spot of land where the Winkler Drive-In Theatre was located I saw a business.  It was a large building with a big parking lot.  The front of the building faces Interstate 45.  Can someone out there tell me what that business is?

Strip center with Home Depot and Office Depot?

• 3 months later...
I checked on a movie database. There were a LOT of drive-ins around Houston.

Boulevard Drive-In Houston

Chocolate-Bayou Drive-In Houston

Diamond Drive-In Houston

Epson Drive-In Houston

Hempstead Drive-In Houston

Hi-Nabor Drive-In Houston

Market Street Drive-In Houston

Parkway Drive-In Houston

Pussycat Drive-In Houston

Sharpstown Drive-In Houston

Shepherd Road Drive-In Houston

South Main Drive-In Houston

Sunnyside Drive-In Houston

Texas Drive-In Houston

Thunderbird Drive-In Houston

Trail Drive-In Houston

Triple Drive-In 1,2 & 3 Houston

Winkler Drive-In Houston

Ceder Drive-In Baytown

Decker Drive-In Baytown

Colonial Drive-In La Porte

Eagle Drive-In Pasadena

Pasadena Drive-In Pasadena

Red Bluff Drive-In Pasadena

Oleander Drive-In Galveston

Bayou Drive-In La Marque

Tradewinds Drive-In Texas City

Alvin Drive-In Alvin

Hi-Y Drive-In Conroe

I read on DriveIns.Com that there is currently operating in Porter, Texas the Starlite Drive-In Theatre. I looked on my highway map and I saw that Porter is on U.S. Highway 59 just north of Houston near New Caney. Have any of you ever been to the Starlite?

I read on DriveIns.Com that there is currently operating in Porter, Texas the Starlite Drive-In Theatre. I looked on my highway map and I saw that Porter is on U.S. Highway 59 just north of Houston near New Caney. Have any of you ever been to the Starlite?

Raises hand, about 1981 or 1982. No clue what movie I saw there. I want to say it was Pink Floyd's The Wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Im 48 and I remember going to a few drive ins in the 60's and 70's. The last movie I saw at Telephone Road was Young Frankenstein. I drove by the land it used to occupy a few weeks ago and you can still make out the driveway in and out and from arial photos you can see the humps you used to park on. Hurricane Alicia took care of the Gulfway. After it hit, the marquee said the movie playing was Gone With The Wind thanks to a person with a sense of humor and a spray paint can. I saw Purple Rain at the giant drive in on 45 north, and Saturday night fever at the Texas City drive in. And let us not forget the Town and Country in Pasadena. The last movie I saw there was Star Wars. I wont mention Pasadenas other famous drive in, although if you were on 225 heading east and looked out the back windshield at the right time you could get a glimpse of things a youngster shouldnt see.

Does anyone think Drive ins would work now? Personally, I don't, althought I do miss them greatly.

Hurricane Alicia took care of the Gulfway. After it hit, the marquee said the movie playing was Gone With The Wind thanks to a person with a sense of humor and a spray paint can.

I saw Superman at the Gulfway when I was about 5...also saw a couple of others there, but I can't remember which. I just remember the snack bar there...I thought it was the coolest place in the world.

I also remember "Gone With The Wind" playing there for years! I always got a kick out of that. I also liked the driving range across the street, with the coolest targets in the world...broken down old busses and station wagons.

I also remember that when I was a kid, it seemed like we had to stop for a train EVERY TIME we crossed Old Galveston Road there, and they ALWAYS had a caboose...now I don't know when was the last time I saw a train on Old Galveston (I don't get out there that often anymore), and I KNOW I haven't seen a caboose for YEARS!

Im 48 and I remember going to a few drive ins in the 60's and 70's. The last movie I saw at Telephone Road was Young Frankenstein. I drove by the land it used to occupy a few weeks ago and you can still make out the driveway in and out and from arial photos you can see the humps you used to park on. Hurricane Alicia took care of the Gulfway. After it hit, the marquee said the movie playing was Gone With The Wind thanks to a person with a sense of humor and a spray paint can. I saw Purple Rain at the giant drive in on 45 north, and Saturday night fever at the Texas City drive in. And let us not forget the Town and Country in Pasadena. The last movie I saw there was Star Wars. I wont mention Pasadenas other famous drive in, although if you were on 225 heading east and looked out the back windshield at the right time you could get a glimpse of things a youngster shouldnt see.

Does anyone think Drive ins would work now? Personally, I don't, althought I do miss them greatly.

I think that drive-in in Pasadena that you're talking about is the Red Bluff. On "DriveIns.Com" it, like many other now closed indoor and drive-in theatres, spent its last years as a adult theatre.

As far as drive-ins working now, I saw on "DriveIns.Com" that the Starlite Drive-In Theatre is opening in Porter, Texas, just north of Houston on U.S. Highway 59.

I'm 47. Were you in Houston back when I lived there (1962-64)? I remember my parents and I going to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre. It was on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. If you were in Houston back then, do you or someone in your family remember it?

Where can you see the aerial photos of the location? (I haven't loaded Google Earth).

Just the other night someone was saying that a new drive-in theater was opening in Waller or someplace like that.

A couple of ads:

I think these are from 1959-ish

(oops they mispelled Zsa Zsa)

King Center Drive In

King_Center_Drive_In1_PUUQ.jpg

Trail Drive In

Trail_Drive_In1_XNMC.jpg

I looked up both of these drive-in theatres on DriveIns.Com. It listed the Trail simply on Old Spanish Trail. But what they have listed for King Center is different from this ad. DriveIns.Com lists it as being located on Highway (I assume that means Interstate) 610 & MLK Boulevard. But maybe the names changed over the years.

I saw Superman at the Gulfway when I was about 5...also saw a couple of others there, but I can't remember which. I just remember the snack bar there...I thought it was the coolest place in the world.

I also remember "Gone With The Wind" playing there for years! I always got a kick out of that. I also liked the driving range across the street, with the coolest targets in the world...broken down old busses and station wagons.

I also remember that when I was a kid, it seemed like we had to stop for a train EVERY TIME we crossed Old Galveston Road there, and they ALWAYS had a caboose...now I don't know when was the last time I saw a train on Old Galveston (I don't get out there that often anymore), and I KNOW I haven't seen a caboose for YEARS!

DriveIns.Com says that the Gulfway was located at 9025 Wald Road. Is that correct?

Strip center with Home Depot and Office Depot?

According to the map, the Winkler Drive-In Theatre was located on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. DriveIns.Com says Winkler Drive and Telephone Road. On Google Earth it shows a big store in that spot. Someone on this forum told me that it was a Home Depot.

I looked up both of these drive-in theatres on DriveIns.Com. It listed the Trail simply on Old Spanish Trail.

The Trail was about at OST, Ardmore, and the current 288. I am not that familiar with that one. 288 may have taken part of the land. Maybe someone knows what is there now.

But what they have listed for King Center is different from this ad. DriveIns.Com lists it as being located on Highway (I assume that means Interstate) 610 & MLK Boulevard. But maybe the names changed over the years.

Yep. new names.

That part of Holmes Rd. became the South Loop (I-610)

South Park became MLK.

you can still make it out on google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=77002&ll=29....08786&t=h&hl=en

DriveIns.Com says that the Gulfway was located at 9025 Wald Road.

yep, just off shaver between 45 and 3.

i think its a subdivision now.

those ads are great! the queen of outer space came out in 1958... :lol:

i734h1.jpg

Thanks! Those did look like some great flicks :lol:

has anyone ever seen the queen of outer space?

sounds like that might be worth checking out. we could start a new cult following. :D

I think that drive-in in Pasadena that you're talking about is the Red Bluff. On "DriveIns.Com" it, like many other now closed indoor and drive-in theatres, spent its last years as a adult theatre.

As far as drive-ins working now, I saw on "DriveIns.Com" that the Starlite Drive-In Theatre is opening in Porter, Texas, just north of Houston on U.S. Highway 59.

I'm 47. Were you in Houston back when I lived there (1962-64)? I remember my parents and I going to the Winkler Drive-In Theatre. It was on the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. If you were in Houston back then, do you or someone in your family remember it?

The drive in in Pasadena I went to was The Town and Country located on Red Bluff between Spencer Hwy and Pasadena Blvd. It was a family drive in. The Red Bluff drive in was adults only XXX and was located at Red Bluff and 225. It is now a truck stop.

Where can you see the aerial photos of the location? (I haven't loaded Google Earth).

Just the other night someone was saying that a new drive-in theater was opening in Waller or someplace like that.

Subdude, go to googlemaps.com When the map comes up just click on the hybrid button and it will show you aerial photos. You wont have to download anything. have fun, Susan

The drive in in Pasadena I went to was The Town and Country located on Red Bluff between Spencer Hwy and Pasadena Blvd. It was a family drive in. The Red Bluff drive in was adults only XXX and was located at Red Bluff and 225. It is now a truck stop.

Subdude, go to googlemaps.com When the map comes up just click on the hybrid button and it will show you aerial photos. You wont have to download anything. have fun, Susan

On DriveIns.Com the Red Bluff Drive-In has an aerial photo of where it was. You can see big oil storage tanks.

On DriveIns.Com the Red Bluff Drive-In has an aerial photo of where it was. You can see big oil storage tanks.

Apparently driveins .com is wrong. The Red Bluff Drive In was located on the south side of 225 and the west side of Red bluff blvd. The storage tanks have been at the same location for longer than I can remember. They are located on the south side of 225 and the east side of Red Bluff Blvd across the street from the drive in. I had a delivery to make this morning and the truck stop still sits where the red bluff drive in used to be. I lived in Deer park for quite a while and watched the drive in being torn down. Go to googlemaps.com and go to 225 and red bluff and hit the hybrid button. An aerial photo will come up and you can see the truck stop on the 225 feeder almost to red bluff blvd. if you scroll down red bluff to the south you can see where the town and country drive in was. If you get to Spencer youve gone too far.

Apparently driveins .com is wrong. The Red Bluff Drive In was located on the south side of 225 and the west side of Red bluff blvd. The storage tanks have been at the same location for longer than I can remember. They are located on the south side of 225 and the east side of Red Bluff Blvd across the street from the drive in. I had a delivery to make this morning and the truck stop still sits where the red bluff drive in used to be. I lived in Deer park for quite a while and watched the drive in being torn down. Go to googlemaps.com and go to 225 and red bluff and hit the hybrid button. An aerial photo will come up and you can see the truck stop on the 225 feeder almost to red bluff blvd. if you scroll down red bluff to the south you can see where the town and country drive in was. If you get to Spencer youve gone too far.

is it that pentagon-shaped area of land between the truck stop and the neighborhood?

is it that pentagon-shaped area of land between the truck stop and the neighborhood?

The Red Bluff Drive In took up quite a bit of land for an old single screen movie. It took up the land from the 225 feeder down red bluff blvd to where you can still see the old driveway. Yes, it was on all the land between 225 and the neighborhood and red bluff blvd. Where the truck stop is now used to be the concession stand. The screen was over the concession stand. The back of the screen faced 225.

How about another drive-in I know:

Here is an aerial over the Decker DriveIn in Baytown. If memory serves me, it closed down in the early 80's. maybe Tjones has a better recollection?

It is currently (and ever since it closed) a mobile home storage lot. All of the drive in structures have rotted since then.

There are also lots of damaged mobile homes in there too.

The whole place looks like heck.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=baytown,++tx...08786&t=h&hl=en

The drive in in Pasadena I went to was The Town and Country located on Red Bluff between Spencer Hwy and Pasadena Blvd.

this is so neat - i looked on the maps around that area, and i think this may have been it:

town and country drive-in?

it would have been just south of the red marker...

-----------------------

EDIT - okay, found out that was it :D will have to check it out this weekend

wow - i go to baytown about once a week or two, so i'll have to check that out - i bet you can't tell much from the ground about its past now (although the aerial shape is very distinct)

sev, next time you go to Baytown take some pics of the old Decker Drive-in, it is filled with abandodned and repo'd mobile homes now, at least last time I looked it was.

sev, next time you go to Baytown take some pics of the old Decker Drive-in, it is filled with abandodned and repo'd mobile homes now, at least last time I looked it was.

planned on it ;)

i have a list of about five or six old drive-ins (where the shape was visible from google maps) to go to this weekend, that one included

Archived