Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

$$

Apparently, a good number of developers are trying to wait the landowners out, since property values along the rail line are extremely expensive relative to other nearby areas.

OK....and they might get it for cheaper when the University Line and the others open, bringing in loads of people from other parts of the city into Midtown?

OK....and they might get it for cheaper when the University Line and the others open, bringing in loads of people from other parts of the city into Midtown?

So, are you saying that the various lines will create an unwanted element in the area and, in turn, driving down land values?

So, are you saying that the various lines will create an unwanted element in the area and, in turn, driving down land values?

Actually I was thinking that would significantly raise values making it probably worthwhile for developers to pick up land along the Red Line like that before everything else gets built, bringing in even more potential retail customers. But apparently the developers are waiting for some price drop? Don't really see how. I suppose I was asking that in a rhetorical sense.

I'm all for expanding transit here....

Actually I was thinking that would significantly raise values making it probably worthwhile for developers to pick up land along the Red Line like that before everything else gets built, bringing in even more potential retail customers. But apparently the developers are waiting for some price drop? Don't really see how. I suppose I was asking that in a rhetorical sense.

I'm all for expanding transit here....

Okay, maybe I totally misread your statement there and the sugar high I'm on didn't make sound logical.

I'd agree, I would figure now they would try for a land grab and build it as soon as Metro starts turning some dirt. Doing construction along Richmond (or any other lines) would make it a nightmare.

Yea, I have often wondered how the areas surrounding the McGowen stop (huge open field South of the Cadilac dealership) and the Ensemble/HCC stop (3 blocks of surface lots) have not been developed... Just landowners willing to sit on their investment I guess. It seems crazy.

Maybe the proposed Camden development on Travis, South of Reef will kick-start the area around the McGowen stop.

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask this question. My friend is planning to open up a High End boutique type athletic footware store. It will be franchised from a company in Paris France. He is looking for 2,000sqt and looking to open by June or July. Do you guys have any recommendation where the store should be located? He is aiming towards downtown pavilion but that wont open until October. He has already checked in the Gallaria area but he really like Midtown because there will be no competition.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Brawnz.

Depending on price have him check out the open shop space under the Post Apartments on Gray near Bagby. It used to be dry cleaners, but it has high end clothing shopping directly across the street and this area has lots of foot traffic.

David

Just in case no one else has posted it. I just got the following information from Crosspoint on the project:

"We will have several bike racks on the first

floor of the garage in a well lit area and encourage the neighborhood to use

them. 24hr Fitness should open in June and we should hopefully have some

restaurants come soon after.

Thanks again.

Matt"

Many thanks to Matt for providing the information, and special thanks to Crosspoint for having some secure bicycle parking for the local residents. Gotta do my small part for the environment here and there :) Now if more businesses would have motorcycle parking to encourage their use I'd be ecstatic!

Just in case no one else has posted it. I just got the following information from Crosspoint on the project:

"We will have several bike racks on the first

floor of the garage in a well lit area and encourage the neighborhood to use

them. 24hr Fitness should open in June and we should hopefully have some

restaurants come soon after.

Thanks again.

Matt"

Many thanks to Matt for providing the information, and special thanks to Crosspoint for having some secure bicycle parking for the local residents. Gotta do my small part for the environment here and there :) Now if more businesses would have motorcycle parking to encourage their use I'd be ecstatic!

I currently live in the apartment complex across the street and am enjoying the wonderful construction noise... One point that hasn't been brought up is the fact that the traffic coming off of Spur 527 (59) is generally 40-50 mph right past this building when the lights are green. Although that really isn't much slower than downtown traffic, I wonder how this new development is going to handle the potential traffic issues. The entrance to the garage looks to be on Elgin, but I can see people parking on the street. Pushing biking is great, hopefully midtown can mirror Austin one day

I currently live in the apartment complex across the street and am enjoying the wonderful construction noise... One point that hasn't been brought up is the fact that the traffic coming off of Spur 527 (59) is generally 40-50 mph right past this building when the lights are green. Although that really isn't much slower than downtown traffic, I wonder how this new development is going to handle the potential traffic issues. The entrance to the garage looks to be on Elgin, but I can see people parking on the street. Pushing biking is great, hopefully midtown can mirror Austin one day

Personally, I'd rather mirror Manhatten or Brooklyn than Austin, but that's just me ;) As for the traffic coming off the spur, you're right. People haul through there, I know because I love to take the corner past Calais onto Smith at a somewhat high speed... sorry for the noise ;) Anyway, I've seen the city recently cracking down on this much as they did with the Dallas/Pierce exit off 45 South into Midtown. Their parking at the bottom of the hill and starting to hand out tickets, on both Louisiana and Smith now.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd rather mirror Manhatten or Brooklyn than Austin, but that's just me ;) As for the traffic coming off the spur, you're right. People haul through there, I know because I love to take the corner past Calais onto Smith at a somewhat high speed... sorry for the noise ;) Anyway, I've seen the city recently cracking down on this much as they did with the Dallas/Pierce exit off 45 South into Midtown. Their parking at the bottom of the hill and starting to hand out tickets, on both Louisiana and Smith now.

I always give the Calais wide birth when I come speeding down the spur. Cars pop out of there like crazy at times. One time I was flying down the spur at 75 and I spotted the cops. I thought they had me pegged until I saw some Rice burner fly by me at 85 or so. Oops. :)

The traffic downtown isn't that fast anymore because of the light synch thing. If you're on the north south, you're lucky to get it up to 40, if you're heading east or west, you'll do good to get it up to the speed limit.

• 4 weeks later...

While driving by today, I noticed that they had the sidewalks torn up in front of that tiny apartment complex on Elgin. I wonder if they are just improving the sidewalk on that section or they are starting construction. kinda' feel sorry for those residents if it is just for sidewalk improvements..:(

They're rehabbing the sidewalks for sure but there construction crews going in and out of the gated parking lot. The problem is that there's not enough going on inside the lot to really say if something meaningful is taking place.

Yeah, as I recall they've replaced the sidewalks from 45/59/288 westward and putting in planters, etc.

The gate to the Mix is open every morning, but the equipment that they store there is out working somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's what I got out of them.

When I told them I was not interested in leasing space but simply interested in the project because I lived nearby, here's what they told me.

Thanks for you interest. We are working on some very exciting uses and will

be publicly announcing them in a few months.

So its been a few months. Any word?

That is a small piece of land they've got there.

I was of the impression that the exisiting buildings are scheduled for demolition, and that The Mix will occupy the entire block.

If you'll notice, Crosspoint appears to own several consecutive blocks north of Elgin. They've got signs on many buildings, including that Legion Hall or whatever it was.

The same people who own High Fashion own Crosspoint properties, so if The Mix actually ever came to fruition, it could occupy all of the older High Fashion buildings Crosspointe owns North of Elgin. Their flagship store at Elgin and Milam seems to make the other High Fashion store across the street redundant.

The same people who own High Fashion own Crosspoint properties, so if The Mix actually ever came to fruition, it could occupy all of the older High Fashion buildings Crosspointe owns North of Elgin. Their flagship store at Elgin and Milam seems to make the other High Fashion store across the street redundant.

Not quite. The "flagship store" has fabrics, custom furniture, etc., for the home. The one-story store across the street has what is arguably the best selection of wearing apparel fabrics, trimmings, sewing notions, etc., in this part of Texas.

I find the new larger store something of a disappointment. When it first opened, it was touted as being comparable to New York's fabled ABC Carpet & Home. Unfortunately, it has never achieved that distinction.

Not quite. The "flagship store" has fabrics, custom furniture, etc., for the home. The one-story store across the street has what is arguably the best selection of wearing apparel fabrics, trimmings, sewing notions, etc., in this part of Texas.

I find the new larger store something of a disappointment. When it first opened, it was touted as being comparable to New York's fabled ABC Carpet & Home. Unfortunately, it has never achieved that distinction.

So are you saying the approx. 10000 square foot decrepit High Fashion Fabrics store at 3101 Louisiana, directly across from their 125,000 square foot building would prevent the owners/developers (High Fashion/Crosspointe) from including the lot as part of a multi-block Mix-use development? I don't think so.

I am still have a hard time believing The Mix signs are anything more than a marketing ploy, personally.

Edited by wernicke

• 2 weeks later...
If you'll notice, Crosspoint appears to own several consecutive blocks north of Elgin. They've got signs on many buildings, including that Legion Hall or whatever it was.

Is this the former Knights of Columbus building at 3535 Louisiana? Crosspoint has signs up regarding future development.

http://www.uli-houston.org/newsevents/news...s_YL_080529.htm

Please join us on Thursday, May 29th to hear a presentation about The Mix at Midtown with its developer, Mr. George Levan, Managing Director of Crosspoint Properties. Mr. Levan will discuss his firm's experience in developing dense, multilevel retail and renovating existing structures for adaptive reuse. Crosspoint's current project, The Mix at Midtown, will have the largest 24 Hour Fitness inside the Loop and contain over 300,000 square feet of upscale retail on five city blocks upon completion. We will hold our meeting on the fourth floor of High Fashion Home, another recent Crosspoint Properties project.

thanks for that. but do people that aren't involved in the real estate business attend these things? i saw the guest list and it seems like everyone works for a real estate company.

thanks for that. but do people that aren't involved in the real estate business attend these things? i saw the guest list and it seems like everyone works for a real estate company.

Maybe, but I don't think you have to be. It's just that those are usually the only ones interested, I'm guessing. I was thinkin about going.

http://www.uli-houston.org/newsevents/news...s_YL_080529.htm

Please join us on Thursday, May 29th to hear a presentation about The Mix at Midtown with its developer, Mr. George Levan, Managing Director of Crosspoint Properties. Mr. Levan will discuss his firm's experience in developing dense, multilevel retail and renovating existing structures for adaptive reuse. Crosspoint's current project, The Mix at Midtown, will have the largest 24 Hour Fitness inside the Loop and contain over 300,000 square feet of upscale retail on five city blocks upon completion. We will hold our meeting on the fourth floor of High Fashion Home, another recent Crosspoint Properties project.

Wow I guess this thing is serious. Very exciting for Midtown. The empty areas are being filled and that's fantastic.

• 1 month later...
anyone go to this meeting? any info?

Well, I happen to be driving by last night and I noticed that the concrete there is all broken up as far as the parking lot goes....is that new or has it been there in the past few weeks?

• 4 weeks later...