Midtown Retail Development

hokieone

I read that. 120,00 sf is pretty big. I wondered what "stylish furniture" means. I suppose it could mean many things, but it almost certainly includes that furniture that would look good in downtown, midtown and Montrose area lofts, townhomes and apartments.

Still, what is that? modern, maybe?

If want see what the furniture will be like, go into High Fashion's home decorating fabric store. They a sampling of what they will sell there. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the furniture is older pieces they recover and sell.

• 1 month later...

ao2uyt.jpg

4 floors of fabric, furniture and lighting. Not very exciting maybe but it should make that area look a bit better.

I had never heard of High Fashion Home before but it turns out they already have 2 other stores right around the corner on Louisiana.

They must be doing well and obviously believe in the future of Midtown as a moderately upscale residential neighborhood.

Yeah,

I've been to the Home Fabrics and the regular Fabrics store when I was doing work in my house.

The Home Fabrics store had some furniture. I guess they want to venture into a larger facility when a lot more choices.

• 2 months later...

High Fashion Home had their private preview last night . . . and their public opening today. The store looks nice, I like the design of the central stairwell, there's a small cafe, and what looks like space for an outdoor patio. The furnishing still looks sparse, I'm guessing they rushed to meet the deadline. I can only see good things coming out of this endeavor. Don't forget to check out the downtown skyline view from the 4th floor!

I hope this store plus the smaller ones down Milam will be the beginings of a trendy furniture / design district for Midtown; now all we need is to get Cities, Kuhl Lindscomb, and Design Within Reach to setup shop in the area. Then comes the cafes, bistros, and smaller unique mom and pop shops.

The furnishing still looks sparse, I'm guessing they rushed to meet the deadline. I can only see good things coming out of this endeavor. Don't forget to check out the downtown skyline view from the 4th floor!

Yeah the smell of fresh paint was still in the air. Over all it was pretty nice.

Yeah, pretty nice store, and it looked as if they were getting deliverires during the day, as I saw a few delivery trucks being unloaded when I left Saturday afternoon.

I'm really interested to see what the retail center caticorner from it will look like, if it will have a similar focus as the more urban retail center that was built on Smith @ Elgin.

• 2 years later...

(Posts moved from Louisiana and Elgin thread) dbigtex56

suzerain said:
post-4-1196368893.jpg

Look at the space on the far right.

Well, I don't see anything at all....but here are a couple of pics of the site, I think.http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/gallery/1201192026/gallery_15_10_2313787.jpghttp://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/gallery/1201192026/gallery_15_10_1200602.jpghttp://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/gallery/1201192026/gallery_15_10_1942120.jpg

Here is a small project we've talked about across the street, but I couldn't find the thread.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/gallery/1201192026/gallery_15_10_184824.jpg

• Like 1

You know, after looking at the pictures listed on the website more closely (and paying attention), I have erred a bit.

The pictures of the empty lot is actually across the street from the project that is mentioned.

So what is being built on the empty lot? Currently the only thing it seems to be used for at the moment is for Damien's shuttle bus.

So what block is that with the sign "The Mix @ Midtown". It says 50,000 square feet available, that's twice as much as the project that is currently under construction. It also sounds like a good name for a mixed use project. I want to know more about this!

Nope. It's at least twice as big as anything on their website too.

They said they would be announcing it in a few months. Interesting that it's already fenced off and it already has a big banner on the fence.

Hmmm...yeah, I noticed the sudden onslaught of banners there as well. However, I swear the "Mix @ Midtown" banner I saw showed the building that's currently under construction - along with hundreds of people in the streets (we'll have to see about that, haha)

Anyway, at Crosspoint's website, the new building at Louisiana and Elgin is 23,400 sq ft on the first floor alone, so it would be close to 50,000 sq ft if you tack on the 24 hr fitness. If it said 50,000 sq ft "available", though, I would guess another building is indeed in the works?