Houston reporter Identity?

sifuwong

• 3 weeks later...

You're right about Thom. He was a great reporter at KTRK, and as a longtime friend who worked with him long ago at KPRC Radio I can tell you he has always had a hellaciously funny and profane sense of humor.

I wasn't there but I can tell you exactly how that "out-take" came into being. He was waiting to go live from that scene, and as all reporters do in that situation he was cutting up and clowning around with the guys in the satellite truck. It's a "test-test-test" that gives the crew a chance to make sure the video and audio levels are up and ready to go on the air.

The tape was probably tucked away and forgotten deep inside the KTRK archives, along with countless other similar examples that no one will ever see on the air. I'm guessing that somebody at KTRK found it while searching for something else and thought it would be fun to put it on YouTube. 

BTW:  It is a fact that EVERY TV station has a private file of videos like this one. They're called office reels and party reels, and they're shown only at private parties for station employees. No outsiders. They're mostly out-takes and bloopers like those we see on YouTube, but you would not believe some of the things TV people do and say when they don't know the camera is on.

Now sampled and autotuned. Let a thousand earworms bloom (NSFW, as if it weren't obvious enough):

This location looks like it could be the I-10W @ the west belt (during construction) looking north.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's the Katy Freeway, but it hasn't looked like that in years. I'm half heartedly waiting to hear the MKT's horn blasting below him at some point, but the video would have to be an hour long just for the train to make it to the location!

Archived