A Memorial In Montrose For Mary's

At Neartown Meeting yesterday I heard Kirk Baxter give a history and Culture account of Mary's. Then he presented professtional drawing (made by himself) for  a proposed Memorial.  It was moving.

Bobby Heugal donated the doors from the original Mary's and most of the roof tiles were salvaged.

a few locations locations were discussed. The back park of the parking lot of the orginal building; Across the street infront of Half price books; A block North  on Waugh and Hyde park.

This is at the earliest stages but a wonderful hearftfelt presentation.

post-6399-0-81458500-1358970483.jpg

post-6399-0-65257000-1358970519.jpg

• 2 months later...

At Neartown's March meeting a vote of support was given to this endeavor.  The question of cost was brought up.

$100,000.00

Neartown isn't in the position to offer monetary support. Still, I really like this idea and hope the community likes it also and will support it.

Why so much?

I assume it's just construction- materials and labor-- the glass will be etched with names--incorporating artifacts into it-etc-

Swamplot must have read my earlier post--I'm not sure if they attended the Neartown meeting-

http://swamplot.com/a-montrose-marys-memorial-maybe/

more info

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marys-Naturally-Closed/172134376922

I think I posted this on another thread but Kirk Baxter asked to meet with the developers of the property where spec's/papa John/ 1/2 price books located.

He presented the idea that the memorial be located on the SE corner of Waugh/Yoakum and Westheimer. The Memorial is primary made of glass and would reflect

the new structure (Blacksmith's) that was built on the Mary's footprint; while giving information on what the orginal structure (Mary's Bar) had been.

Kirk reported that the developers were receptive to that idea and would consider donating the land required to install the Memorial.

This was just one of several venue proposals that Kirk presented.

I really hope other organizations will ask Kirk to make his presentation to their organizations and bring awareness to this idea.

I'm wondering if closing it was the best ending for it. If Mary's had cleaned up its act and starting serving the modern Montrose crowd, even if the bar was still gay-friendly, you wouldn't hear the end of people screaming about it being a "yuppie sellout" or whatever.

I'm wondering if closing it was the best ending for it. If Mary's had cleaned up its act and starting serving the modern Montrose crowd, even if the bar was still gay-friendly, you wouldn't hear the end of people screaming about it being a "yuppie sellout" or whatever.

Then it wouldn't be Mary's.

Yes, Mary's was badly mismanaged in its final few years. It could have evolved, and kept its quirky character. It takes some very special people to strike a balance between funky and fun, or just plain trashy, That just didn't happen. There were also pragmatic concerns; the family who owned the property had given Mary's a sweetheart deal for decades, but finally had to bow out. 

Times change. Mary's was the last gasp of an era long over. The first time I set foot in its door in 1981, the last time two days before it closed. I'm glad that people respect that it was an important part of history - the Stonewall of Houston. 

There currently are bars which, in my opinion, are the equal of what Mary's could have been. All they lack is the history, the legend that was Mary's.

what is the modern montrose crowd? can't go anywhere now without children. like being in the burbs.

eh, thats an exaggeration musicman. There's still Fairview/Pacific, Michael's Outpost on Richmond, Rudz, The Flat, Etro, Numbers etc. And I don't think I've ever seen any children in Grand Prize, Anvil or Boondocks (dear god, I would hope not). I have seen children in Poison Girl once or twice, but only during the day. Now if we were talking about the Heights? That would be a different story.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to A Memorial In Montrose For Mary's

Archived